• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Textbooks at UNSW. (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
I know some Commerce students considering doing it as a gen ed.

(But if you have done PHYS1121/1131, then you can't do PHYS1110)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I know some Commerce students considering doing it as a gen ed.

(But if you have done PHYS1121/1131, then you can't do PHYS1110)
Wow but that is cool.

In that case, maybe a simple subject in something else is worth doing.

Or just something interesting. I remember at O-week there was DIPP1000 which is supposed to help in getting jobs and stuff as a gen ed.

Web Addict

HSC
I'm doing MATH1141, PHYS1131, COMP1911 and ENGG1000.

If a lecturer just recommendeds a textbook, would it be worthwhile to buy it?

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
well everyone says not to buy a maths textbook since the course pack gives you enough notes and questions to do
you can probably find free pdfs of most textbooks online though they may be older editions
a textbook might be worth it if it's one you can use throughout your degree and if you like reading them for fun
i only like textbooks because they make me feel smart and they smell good but overall not worth the money :^)

D94

HSC
N/A

Well in that set of subjects, I would not recommend buying the textbook. The library has a vast range of textbooks - just because it's not the prescribed book, that doesn't mean it's useless.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
a textbook might be worth it if it's one you can use throughout your degree and if you like reading them for fun
i only like textbooks because they make me feel smart and they smell good but overall not worth the money :^)
I love them coz they look so pretty lol

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

2 of my lecturers said that you don't need the textbook to do well in the course (HD).

They told me that the lecture material and tutorial questions are detailed behind the textbook and really its only necessary as a secondary reading resource if need be (though you'll be reading the same thing).

Web Addict

HSC
2 of my lecturers said that you don't need the textbook to do well in the course (HD).

They told me that the lecture material and tutorial questions are detailed behind the textbook and really its only necessary as a secondary reading resource if need be (though you'll be reading the same thing).
Is this for MATH1141? Yesterday, my lecturer for MATH1141 told the class that we didn't need to buy the textbook because the course pack had enough questions already.

For PHYS1131, I bought the textbook today because the lecture notes were pretty basic and didn't have that much theory.

For COMP1911, I'm still deciding whether or not to buy the textbook, Programming, Problem Solving and Abstraction with C. Does anyone recommend buying the textbook for this course?

For ENGG1000, I won't buy the textbook.

Makise

HSC
N/A
For COMP1911, I'm still deciding whether or not to buy the textbook, Programming, Problem Solving and Abstraction with C. Does anyone recommend buying the textbook for this course?
No don't bother, I never read it and did fine. If you ever need it for some reason, it's in the high use collection at the library.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Is this for MATH1141? Yesterday, my lecturer for MATH1141 told the class that we didn't need to buy the textbook because the course pack had enough questions already.

For PHYS1131, I bought the textbook today because the lecture notes were pretty basic and didn't have that much theory.

For ENGG1000, I won't buy the textbook.
Yes for MATH1141, Doust told everyone that morning lol.

Though because my other course the lecturer told me not to get the textbook for does not have much of a workload I will wait until the tutorials to find out whether I should get it or not.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
So I had a course which the lecturer said "don't worry you will definitely not need the textbook" and in the end the textbook was a good investment because I understood lots of things due to it and was really clear especially when I was lost while doing my assignments.

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
So I had a course which the lecturer said "don't worry you will definitely not need the textbook" and in the end the textbook was a good investment because I understood lots of things due to it and was really clear especially when I was lost while doing my assignments.
congrats

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Bumping this thread up for the obvious reasons.

And with the textbook for COMP1917, is it any good?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)