• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The 90+ Dream! (1 Viewer)

chrisrules

HSC
Subject Ranks:

Extension 1 Maths: 8/22
Maths 2 Unit: 1/50
Studies Of Religion 1: 6/59
Physics: 10/18
Chemistry: 10/22
Advanced English: 25/47

School Rank

200+ (based on last years results, this year has much more high achievers)

I know these are terrible by some of your standards...

But if I get band 6's in my externals do i still have a chance of getting 90+ atar?

Thanks in advance.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
To guarantee your 90, you need to pull up in Phys and Chem and English.

absorber

HSC
worry about eng before physics and chemistry imo, depends if you've done your trials/got them back yet, but you really need to pull those subjs up; but based on your maths, you can get 90 if you improve other subjs a bit

chrisrules

HSC
I estimated these ranks on how I think I did in the trials (which was pretty crap).

But say those ranks were to stay and i got band 6's for all if not most, is it possible for 90+ ATAR?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I estimated these ranks on how I think I did in the trials (which was pretty crap).

But say those ranks were to stay and i got band 6's for all if not most, is it possible for 90+ ATAR?
If you got band 6s for all then you'd be looking at ~97 :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

No offense, but getting 25/47 in a school ranked 200th is probably a low-mid Band 5.
Hell, getting that in a top 10 selective school is still a mid Band 5

~Islanzadí~

HSC
Does this mean that any 95 ATAR/UAI+ is achieved by:
· High ranking in your chosen subject in school (regardless of whether it is considered a low or high scaling subject.)
· High marks i.e. early nineties at least in actual HSC marks. (Once again regardless of whether it is a low or high scaling subject.)
· The marks between your ranking and your other classmates’ ranking in your school.
· Your school’s ranking in the state??

- I’m sorry but I’m a bit confused by the last point...what does your school’s overall rank in the state matter? I scared because I come from a school where we’ve achieved 96 - 98+ UAIs before, but our school ranking in the state is above 600...(I think last time I checked).
- Is the above mentioned all that is required the criteria for any 95 ATAR/UAI+ or have I missed something?

absorber

HSC
if you're worthy of a decent UAI the system will give it to you. School rank is representative of the proportion of band 6s achievedc previous year out of all exams sat. So if heaps of people got band 5s, even high band 5s, but no b6s (though unlikely) your school'd be a shit rank. It's merely indicative of this year's outcome, though not always, but the idea of school ranks is to give you an idea of the strength of your teachers/cohort. just DON'T WORRY about school rank, please heaps of people ask this. other people's marks can affect yours if you're not doing considerably better than everyone else, that's what it means.

to get 95+, i.e. be in the top 5% of people, just do well in exams. Use SAM to check marks, for example if I got 90 in each one of my exams hypothetically I'd get around 95 or 96 for my UAI, with ATAR slightly higher. Just look at the stickied threads for any more info.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Why is everyone doubting him?
He'll probably get a nice mid-high band 6 for 2u.
Probably a band E4 in 3u, maybe a high band 5.
I expect mid band 5s for both Physics and Chemistry, although he might get low band 5s.
His English might just scrape a band 5 or a mid-high band 4.
Probably mid band 6 for SOR.

That's definitely a 90+

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
That's why I said most.
Fine - those ranks for Phys and Chem in a school ranked 200 aren't Band 6s either. They're mid level Band 5s. That makes English, Phys and Chem....no longer are 'most' of your subjects Band 6.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Fine - those ranks for Phys and Chem in a school ranked 200 aren't Band 6s either. They're mid level Band 5s. That makes English, Phys and Chem....no longer are 'most' of your subjects Band 6.
true. Look just look at your trials marks, post them here and that would be a much better indication. Atm tho, saying that you think you can get band 6's is very ambitious for someone who aint topping every sub in their ranked 200 school. Have realistic goals. 90+ is realistic.

chrisrules

HSC
I haven't had my best year assessment wise, stuffed up a few. But if i put the pedal down i know I'll get band 6 in most. Oh yeah, and the +5 ATAR for being in a 'disadvantaged area' should help.

And yes Aerath I realise those ranks aren't pretty but I'm not gonna let them limit what band I achieve in the HSC exams. My school rank last year was pretty crap, but thats because only about 3 people got above 90 UAI. Numerous teachers have said that this year group is much smarter.

chrisrules

HSC
true. Look just look at your trials marks, post them here and that would be a much better indication. Atm tho, saying that you think you can get band 6's is very ambitious for someone who aint topping every sub in their ranked 200 school. Have realistic goals. 90+ is realistic.
That's my goal.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
So, my school is ranked 56th.
What rank/marks do you think i should be aiming at to get an atar of 95+
(Im planning to do something with law after high school)

My subjects which im planning to do are: english standard, math advanced, legal studies, modern history, ipt and business studies.

absorber

HSC
So, my school is ranked 56th.
What rank/marks do you think i should be aiming at to get an atar of 95+
(Im planning to do something with law after high school)

My subjects which im planning to do are: english standard, math advanced, legal studies, modern history, ipt and business studies.
Top 20% out of ranks, it'd be lower but you have a good school rank. And make your own thread, really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)