• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Abortion Debate (continued) (1 Viewer)

HSC
katie tully said:
Yes there are some that are willing. But are you actually implying that a large percentage of adoptive parents want to adopt a baby with a severe medical condition?

I highly doubt it.
if you were waiting for 15 years to adopt would you pick and choose, what if it was there biological kid?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
I think aborting the child in that situation is selfish.. there are thousand's of people who want children to adopt but are on ridulously long waiting lists, many who will never adopt.

out of your hard situation bring someone joy
I think that having a child in ANY instance is selfish, given the state of the world.

EDIT: I don't mean to say that selfishness is a bad thing. It is still selfish, however.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
you haven't covered your stance at all because you don't understand the objection i'm raising. this post itself has a big fat fuzzy dividing line that you're going to have to justify. When is the concrete time at which it ends. Why is this so.
I don't have to justify it and I have covered it, a million times.

You asked for me to explain where I personally would draw the line. I've covered this. At and after 24 weeks, it's entirely possible for a life to be viable outside the uterus. Until such time it's not, and it's entirely dependent on the mother.

We have to draw a line somewhere, and 24 weeks to me, is where I would draw the line.

I understand the objection you keep raising, and it's a shit objection. Youll keep referring to abortion as 'killing' no matter what stage of the pregnancy we refer to. Why would I bother rehashing this with an idiot?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
if you were waiting for 15 years to adopt would you pick and choose, what if it was there biological kid?
Who waits 15 years to adopt?

What are you going on about? Do you honestly think that if a couple waits 15 years, they're going to want a special needs kid. Especially given that the couple themselves will be getting on in age.

Fuck you live in a deluded world.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
knots&crosses said:
meaninig??? Having a child can be both a selfish or selfless act. If you mean exposing a child to a bad world is selfish, i will have to disagree as someone can raise a child with the right values, determination and confidence to be able to reverse the effects that our generation and those before us have created. please exuse my cliche' but kids are seriously the future.

edit: sorry if that was not ur intention by the post.
No I think we was meaning more along the lines of -
Food shortage
Financial crisis
Sustainability
Overpopulation

etcetcetcetcetcetc

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
knots&crosses said:
meaninig??? Having a child can be both a selfish or selfless act. If you mean exposing a child to a bad world is selfish, i will have to disagree as someone can raise a child with the right values, determination and confidence to be able to reverse the effects that our generation and those before us have created. please exuse my cliche' but kids are seriously the future.

edit: sorry if that was not ur intention by the post.
By state of the world, I mean extreme overpopulation.

Particularly selfish in Australia, given our (very) limited resources.

EDIT: What Katie said.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Kwayera said:
By state of the world, I mean extreme overpopulation.

Particularly selfish in Australia, given our (very) limited resources.

EDIT: What Katie said.
After we've not had the children we might have had, and learned to drink cask wine in dingy, overpriced flats, and had our culture dwindle to spaghetti and television for twenty years or so, is it not selfish then?
Will my absolute right to family then be convenient for the market?

For all the freedoms you fuckwit libertarians bang on about, you have a lot of contradictions

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Everyone has the right to reproduce. I don't doubt that.

Doesn't mean they should, or in such large numbers. Essentially we (as a population) should be reproducing below replacement level.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
And it gives you precious street cred with the pro-lifers, let me tell you baybe

*o*

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Can we stop with the sweeping generalisations from the pro-abortion camp please?
im not claiming this is the case in 100% of circumstances, im just wanting to point out that the consequences of no abortion may also be significant.

*o*

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
I think aborting the child in that situation is selfish.. there are thousand's of people who want children to adopt but are on ridulously long waiting lists, many who will never adopt.

out of your hard situation bring someone joy
that is true. but there are additional problems associated with adoption, i have a friend who grew up knowing she was adopted, she felt fine until she was about 15, then she suddenly got really depressed, shes now 19 and still cant really deal with the world. she doesnt know, and never will know her parents, her family, her background. she lacks belonging.

my mum was also adopted, she has always known. she went through the same thing as a teen, she still has bad weeks, she says its always hard not knowing who you are.

so you might be right, there are people who want to adopt, but in my experience (emphasis on this as a personal perception) adaption is flawed.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Adoption isn't flawed.

What would these people prefer. To have grown up in a number of foster families instead? That to me lacks identity. Being adopted and integrated into a family IS your identity, none of this bullshit about 'lolz i wonder if my mum was pretty'

*o*

HSC
katie tully said:
Adoption isn't flawed.

What would these people prefer. To have grown up in a number of foster families instead? That to me lacks identity. Being adopted and integrated into a family IS your identity, none of this bullshit about 'lolz i wonder if my mum was pretty'
when my friend was 16, and at one of her lowest points, she told me she would have preferred to have been aborted.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
*o* said:
when my friend was 16, and at one of her lowest points, she told me she would have preferred to have been aborted.
So what?

A shit load of people who know their biological parents have the exact same thoughts, it's not a period of darkness unique to adopted teenagers.

Sounds melodramatic. It'd be better to have been aborted than to have been adopted into a family? Yeah, I can think of people who would rather have been aborted than grow up in abusive homes with biological parents.

Sounds like a farce.

*o*

HSC
katie tully said:
So what?

A shit load of people who know their biological parents have the exact same thoughts, it's not a period of darkness unique to adopted teenagers.

Sounds melodramatic. It'd be better to have been aborted than to have been adopted into a family? Yeah, I can think of people who would rather have been aborted than grow up in abusive homes with biological parents.

Sounds like a farce.
im speaking from my own experiences, i would never be able to lt my own offspring grow up without knowing who they are.

what about if a 16 year old gets pregnant, they are a top student and have a LOT of hope in the HSC, should they adopt out and effectively sacrafice their future or abort?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)