• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Abortion Debate... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
In sex ed classes, they didn't even mention in passing that Abstinence was the right thing to do. They should, because Abstinence is the Only way to prevent putting a mother-to-be in the position of having an abortion.

Fact is, a 16 year old Isn't mature enough to decide whether to have an abortion or not. There are ramifications to both carrying a child to term and aborting, ramifications which a 16 year old is not mentally mature enough to understand. I suggest the age of 18 merely because this is the age at which society feels that a person must take legal responsibility for their own actions. I don't see why a 16 year old isn't responsible enough to sign a legal contract, yet that same 16 year old is responsible enough to create a new life.

So what's the difference between a 16 year old and a 26 year old in that situation? The 26 year old is legally culpable for her own actions. The 26 year old is, by society's judgement, mature enough to enter into a legal contract, mature enough to vote, mature enough to take out a home loan, mature enough to donate blood. The 26 year old is also in a better position to consider the ramifications of whichever action she takes.

My argument therefore is that society should be actively encouraging abstinence. 16 year olds shouldn't be placed in a situation where they have to consider aborting, or bringing their own child to term. The best solution to this problem is not to have created the problem at all, and the only way that's going to happen is through promoting abstinence.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
My school taught me that abstinence was a good option, the best contraception etc. We talked about why it could be important to "saving it" for later, eg: religion, moral values, fear of being pregnant, parents, finance etc

We even talked about alternatives to "sexually expressing" ourselves, like hand jobs etc. Then we talked about STD's which more or less scared the fuck out of half our class, which I assume was only natural because of the already existing knowledge of people dying from AIDS, then we talked about when we know we're ready, especially with a series of questions about responsibility, love, and if we're being pressured. Step by step, we talked about contraception methods and their effectiveness.

I think I had good sex ed classes. It covered almost every option.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
One of my PE teachers ended up fucking one of my classmates pretty much right after high school graduation.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
One of my PE teachers ended up fucking one of my classmates pretty much right after high school graduation.
jesus... that's disgusting...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
fucking hell. I was 16 when I had an abortion. I was perfectly capable of understanding what I was doing, because to be honest? not that big a deal anymore. I rarely think about it, except for when in situations like this. I chose not to sacrifice my life to an unlucky accident (as the woman in the link I posted said), and you can pontificate about how 16 year olds can't make that decision responsibly, but the fact is, I could, and I did.

waterfowl

HSC
glycerine said:
fucking hell. I was 16 when I had an abortion. I was perfectly capable of understanding what I was doing, because to be honest? not that big a deal anymore. I rarely think about it, except for when in situations like this. I chose not to sacrifice my life to an unlucky accident (as the woman in the link I posted said), and you can pontificate about how 16 year olds can't make that decision responsibly, but the fact is, I could, and I did.
I'm not arguing or being cruel or anything....but hypothetically, if when you were older and you wanted to have a child, and you couldn't, would you regret having the abortion?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
A 16 year old is not as culpable, and you know it. Sure, they may go to jail, but instead of going for 15 years, they'll go for 3 to a juvenile facility (normally). If they sign a legal contract, they aren't legally bound to it. I might not be a law student, but to say they're as legally culpable as an adult is bullshit.

You wouldn't know michelle yeoh (the law student, not the actor), would you?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
waterfowl said:
I'm not arguing or being cruel or anything....but hypothetically, if when you were older and you wanted to have a child, and you couldn't, would you regret having the abortion?
in a sense, but not really. i say that mostly because, well, i was 16. wanting a child when you're an adult with the resources to cope with a child is different to being stuck with a child when you're 16, not working and still at school. i guess i would wish i could have the baby then, but i still wouldn't regret doing what i did at the time.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
In sex ed classes, they didn't even mention in passing that Abstinence was the right thing to do. They should, because Abstinence is the Only way to prevent putting a mother-to-be in the position of having an abortion.
Abstinence is not the answer. Teens are going to have sex, you can't stop that and we shouldn't be trying to. Protection and education is the most viable option to preventing unwanted pregnancies/abortion.

kat_mandu

What the?
HSC
legally you cant drink till your 18. is there underage drinking yes. does that make it ok NO does that mean that we should stop teaching that you shouldn't drink alchohol till your 18 NO. teachers are well aware that half there class is drinking underage does that mean that the should just give in cause there going to drink anyway.
the argument that "there going to do it anyway" is stupid. why is sociaty justified in deciding when one is mature enough to drink but supposedly has no right to suggest when one is mature enough to have sex. I have to agree that it makes no sense that the age of consent doesn't coincide with the age of being able to drink and vote.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
um, our teachers have never exactly said 'yeah, go out and drink', but they made sure they taught us about drinking responsibly and knowing our limits... because you're right, it is going to happen no matter what, and ignoring it completely is stupid

K

katie_tully

*RUNS AROUND IN CIRCLES*

they dont promote abstinence as much as safe sex, BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY SAY "DONT HAVE SEX" teenagers are going to, therefore it makes more sense and is more practical to promote contraception, etc.

secondly, ive been 17 for 3 months. when i was 16 i knew EXACTLY what i was doing. you cant tell me a 16 year old has no idea.

you still havent answered my qurstion;
you can get pregnant no matter what precautions you take, so is a 30 year old who gets pregnant and has an abortion apparently more mature, and more aware of their predicament than a 16 year old?
personally i think the decision is more defined for a 16 year old, because to have an abortion they REALISE that they cannot provide for a child.
thats showing maturity.
its showing taking responsibility for ones actions, something a 16 year old is very capable of doing.

waterfowl

HSC
I don't think having an abortion is showing that someone is taking responsibility for their actions; they are removing any responsibility when they abort.

And I've never met an older (middle aged +) person who has had an abortion who does not regret their decision.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
waterfowl said:
I don't think having an abortion is showing that someone is taking responsibility for their actions; they are removing any responsibility when they abort.

And I've never met an older (middle aged +) person who has had an abortion who does not regret their decision.

I'd agree with you to a point... but in my opinion, it goes like this (as in teenage pregnancy type situations)

Abortion - You're thinking ahead about your finance, your mentality and reality, and recognising that the current sacrafices of being shunned from work and dropping out of school at this age is inappropriate.

Keeping it (regardless of later adoption or not) - taking responsibility in many levels and being really brave to face any societal judgement.

I think it depends on the person's values, and what they see as "mature" and "cowardly". Personally I think both decisions (although both can be made stupidly and unwisingly - such as the girl not giving a shit and not preparing for the baby that's going to be born) deserve some merit for the bravery and maturity, provided that they handle the situation with these qualities...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
katie_tully said:
you still havent answered my qurstion;
you can get pregnant no matter what precautions you take, so is a 30 year old who gets pregnant and has an abortion apparently more mature, and more aware of their predicament than a 16 year old?
personally i think the decision is more defined for a 16 year old, because to have an abortion they REALISE that they cannot provide for a child.
thats showing maturity.
its showing taking responsibility for ones actions, something a 16 year old is very capable of doing.
I've answered this point several times. A 30 year old who has an abortion is a lot more mature than a 16 year old who has an abortion, because the 30 year old is far more capable of considering the ramifications of her actions. The 16 year old is not, no matter how much she may think she is.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
I've answered this point several times. A 30 year old who has an abortion is a lot more mature than a 16 year old who has an abortion, because the 30 year old is far more capable of considering the ramifications of her actions. The 16 year old is not, no matter how much she may think she is.

I dunno about others but if let say a 25 (or possibly 30, whatever) had an abortion, I would definatley think it as if they're not taking responsiblity. USUALLY by that age, financial, mental reasons are gone, and they SHOULD be able to handle it...

Unless they already have millions of kids... but apparently those that age that abort, as a percentage, are very minimal.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
My point is that a 16 year old should not have been placed in the position where they would have had to make such a decision. They shouldn't have been pregnant in the first place, and therefore should not have had to make a mature decision before they're ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)