• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Abortion Debate... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
My point is that a 16 year old should not have been placed in the position where they would have had to make such a decision. They shouldn't have been pregnant in the first place, and therefore should not have had to make a mature decision before they're ready.
yeah i agree they shouldnt be, but accidents do happen.

Do you believe in marriage before sex by the way?

and what would be a mature age in your opinion? And why do you choose this age? Based on what criteria?

I'm just curious...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
i dunno, some people are dumb asses and immature at like 35.
Btw this whole 'accidents do happen' thing is just stupid. If i 'accidently' run over someone i don't get off, i get charged with manslaughter and negligent driving.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
yeah i agree they shouldnt be, but accidents do happen.

Do you believe in marriage before sex by the way?

and what would be a mature age in your opinion? And why do you choose this age? Based on what criteria?

I'm just curious...
Of course accidents happen. When I say they shouldn't be pregnant in the first place, I mean they should never have been put in a situation where it's even Possible to get pregnant.

I don't like the idea of sex before marriage, but that is a personal belief (nothing to do with religion). I think that people in today's society are just too horny, and the media's "sex sells" mentality doesn't help one bit.

I think the age of 18 is as good as any to define the age of Majority. One is pretty much out of puberty, and has finished high school by this age. Also, an 18 year old must take legal responsibility for their actions, where a 16 year old can still get away with most things.

Tying the age of consent to the age of majority identifies that the act of procreation is not just a form of recreation, but a responsibility over the existance of a new life. I don't see how a 16 year old can make the decision over whether to terminate what could be a life, when that same 16 year old cannot enter into a legal contract. The age of majority isn't just about having the right to do certain things, it's also about having the Responsibility - and a 16 year old is too young to understand this.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
i dunno, some people are dumb asses and immature at like 35.
Btw this whole 'accidents do happen' thing is just stupid. If i 'accidently' run over someone i don't get off, i get charged with manslaughter and negligent driving.
I'm trying to be as "open-minded" as I can and not slamming my fucking opinion and not listening to what phanatical has to say, cuz phanatical rocks my tiny little world.

I merely meant that they don't intend to land in that situation of deciding such a "mature decision", and I'm getting curious about phanatical's argument about being mature enough to have an abortion and if it has relevance to sex before marriage etc.

But whatever.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
Of course accidents happen. When I say they shouldn't be pregnant in the first place, I mean they should never have been put in a situation where it's even Possible to get pregnant.

I don't like the idea of sex before marriage, but that is a personal belief (nothing to do with religion). I think that people in today's society are just too horny, and the media's "sex sells" mentality doesn't help one bit.

I think the age of 18 is as good as any to define the age of Majority. One is pretty much out of puberty, and has finished high school by this age. Also, an 18 year old must take legal responsibility for their actions, where a 16 year old can still get away with most things.

Tying the age of consent to the age of majority identifies that the act of procreation is not just a form of recreation, but a responsibility over the existance of a new life. I don't see how a 16 year old can make the decision over whether to terminate what could be a life, when that same 16 year old cannot enter into a legal contract. The age of majority isn't just about having the right to do certain things, it's also about having the Responsibility - and a 16 year old is too young to understand this.
I agree with you about how weird and fucked up the legal age thing is at some degree. I also agree that more people are "mature" at 18, but I think some are also "mature" at 16 as well. I don't have much to rebutt on it, because it's statistically true - more people should be more mature at 18 than 16, but not all. As with "25" will have more mature people than those who are "21"... but then again I guess age does not ALWAYS link to maturity.

Does this mean an 18 year old, in your opinion, can have an abortion if they choose to?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Most abortions are done on people in their late teens... so i'd say it could have something to do with maturity and the lack of fully developed logic/reasoning.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I think a 16 year old should have an abortion if they chose to. I'm just saying that the 16 year old shouldn't be forced to make that decision at all.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
I think a 16 year old should have an abortion if they chose to. I'm just saying that the 16 year old shouldn't be forced to make that decision at all.
Hmm. fair enuf, I agree.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
i'd like to know exactly how.. perhaps people are wearing low quality condoms, or ones that are too thin as to gain extra pleasure and they pop?

or maybe heaps of women just like to say the dude was wearing protection?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
i'd like to know exactly how.. perhaps people are wearing low quality condoms, or ones that are too thin as to gain extra pleasure and they pop?

or maybe heaps of women just like to say the dude was wearing protection?
dunno. none has ever broken for me.... (oh, random info there)

And if you add the pill...

I think its:

Condom - 98% chance of protecting against pregnancy
The Pill - 99% chance of protecting against pregnancy

So if you do both, that's damn good protection, in percentage wise...

Lorie

HSC
actully condoms breaking isn't as rare as you'd think. I've been "told" that if u have them in your wallet or somewhere that it is crapped, it can increase the risk that it breaks. These things aren't bulletproof, i think people kinda need to realise that. There are other methods of protection that can also be used.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Asquithian said:
'lack of sex education?
i think so.

and yeah not-that-bright, probably. some guys/girls can't admit to having unprotected sex

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
then why is it that 50% or so of people who have abortions claim they used protection? if they work 99-98% of the time shouldn't alot less abortions be happening or alot more babies being born?

K

katie_tully

Phanatical said:
I've answered this point several times. A 30 year old who has an abortion is a lot more mature than a 16 year old who has an abortion, because the 30 year old is far more capable of considering the ramifications of her actions. The 16 year old is not, no matter how much she may think she is.
You're a git if you honestly think that.

K

katie_tully

Phanatical said:

That explains everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)