The Anime Thread (3 Viewers)

funniboi

HSC
i totally forgot about Hellsing Ultimate!

I remember when it came out, i thought that it would be best to get it when it was finished! .. never got to that. same with FMP: TSR!

ahh, oh well, i guess i'll catch up someday.

i've yet to download anime for a long, long time. it's been way too long for me to get back into it again.

but i'll hope to get back into it, and give ya's feedback on what i've watched :)

oh and a note to the madman sale, yeh it's pretty good -- 5disc boxsets for like $50!!! but i wouldn't be buying boxsets anytime soon, alot of shit's happenin round here.

hehe.

mcsamab

HSC
CRAP HOW DO I POST MY 1TB OF ANIME IN THIS LIST
-_-
and if u think i havent seen it all think again
i've only seen 60-70%
:(

FlashCE

HSC
I'm currently watching Death Note and Haibane Renmei. Death Note is amazing. Haibane Renmei is kinda boring in my opinion.

Haruhi Suzumiya fanboy here!!

xclo

HSC
watch air TV... totally flawless, the anime itself starts a bit slow, but picks up from episode 6, then the last few episodes are just breathetaking

kloudsurfer

HSC
Well I read comic books, and my brothers into anime, and hes started getting me into it too (and ive started gettin him into comics so its all good).
Just finished watching it Serial Experiments Lain. Its really amazing. Trippy, but good. Love the existentialist themes and everything.

Ive seen most of the more popular animes, like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja scroll, and a few others.

I would like to get into anime more, but im not sure what to get.

Anyone got and recomendations?

Im not really sure what i like because I havent seen much. I liked:
Voices of a distant start - really moving, loved it!
Ninja scroll (i like ninjas!)
Lain
Full Metal Panic
Akira
Something with vampires? (It wasnt Helsing - maybe Blood:the last vampire?)
Perfect Blue
Everything studio Ghibli

Didnt really like
Ghost in the shell:
Beserk
Robotech - only watched like half an episode though.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Any suggestions as to what I would like?

Thanks

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Try;

- Rurouni Kenshin
- GTO
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Appleseed (New Version)
- Trigun
- Cowboy Bebop

kloudsurfer

HSC
tallkid34 said:
Try;

- Rurouni Kenshin
- GTO
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Appleseed (New Version)
- Trigun
- Cowboy Bebop
Ive seen Appleseed. It was pretty ok, the story was a bit cliche.
Didnt like Trigun.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ive heard a bit about Rurouni Kenshin so i might have to check it out. And the Cowboy Beebop movie is on SBS tomorrow night.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Didnt like Trigun.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ive heard a bit about Rurouni Kenshin so i might have to check it out. And the Cowboy Beebop movie is on SBS tomorrow night.
Appleseed story was cliche (shouldnt have bought the dvd..).

I have Cowboy Bebop movie on UMD and its pretty good.

Just remember, anime is great but if you want a more in-depth knowledge of the story and characters, try reading manga. (Just dont read Berserk manga because it can make you sick, literally)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Didnt like Trigun.

really? you didn't like trigun? :(
Yeah, the cowboy bebop movie is really good, watch the series too if you havent already, it's fantastic :)
i've started watching rurouni kenshin, i've wanted to see it for ages. it looks ok so far.
oh, and do watch fullmetal alchemist, u won't regret it. 'tis cool :D

tarsus

Dead Apostle
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
I would like to get into anime more, but im not sure what to get.

Anyone got and recomendations?

Im not really sure what i like because I havent seen much. I liked:
Voices of a distant start - really moving, loved it!
Ninja scroll (i like ninjas!)
Lain
Full Metal Panic
Akira
Something with vampires? (It wasnt Helsing - maybe Blood:the last vampire?)
Perfect Blue
Everything studio Ghibli

Didnt really like
Ghost in the shell:
Beserk
Robotech - only watched like half an episode though.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Any suggestions as to what I would like?
MONSTER: (74 episodes)
Kenzou Tenma, a Japanese brain surgeon in Germany, had it all: incredible skill at his work, a rich and beautiful fiancee, and a promising career at his hospital. However, after becoming disenchanted by hospital politics, he chose to save the life of a young boy who got shot in the head over the life of the mayor. As a result he lost the support of the hospital director, as well as his position in the hospital and his fiance. A short time later, the hospital director and the doctors that replaced him were murdered, and once again he was catapulted back onto the top. But as the chief suspect of the murders, Tenma did not get a easy life. As a matter of fact, it seems that the boy he saved was much more than he had appeared to be... Now to clear his name and to correct his past mistake, Tenma must get to the bottom of these and other murders, and investigate the truth of the Monster who is behind all of this.

I'm going to be a lazy bastard so there's a review that literally took the words out from my brain. Except I killed off one unneccessary paragraph that doesn't suit my cause. Enjoy.

"Suspense the way it should be done"

This series held surprises into the very last episode.

I'm not really going to include any major spoilers for the series in my review. The closest that I'll come will cover what you've probably heard about from any general discussion concerning the TV series, or the books that the story comes from, or the opening TV credits for the very first episode. That means that some key elements from the first 4 episodes, which covers the first 5% of the 74 episode series, will be mentioned. But it's hard to even say what the series is about without going that far, and you're likely to get more spoilers in any major review of the latest Hollywood mega-release anyways.

In life, there are two types of monsters. The first is the type that most of us have probably thought of in our childhood, the type that we feared under the bed or in the closet, the type who our parents or guardians told us didn't exist. The second type, however, is what the title of this series refers to. This is the type which adults do fear, the type that does exist. This monster can plan human deaths with the same nonchalance that others have when they decide the details of getting their next coffee.

Naoki Urasawa's story is one that covers such a monster, but this monster isn't the main character. Instead, the main character is the highly skilled Japanese neurosurgeon Kenzou Tenma, working in Germany shortly after its reunification. Tenma believes that all life is of equal high worth, and that the value of life isn't changed with wealth, fame, nor with celebrity status. But he discovers that the hospital itself doesn't share that belief. The life that he saved, the life which more desperately needed his skills, looked so much like another anonymous life that was about to get wiped out by the hospital's lack of ethics. But Tenma unknowingly gave life back to a monster. And for the first time ever, Tenma regrets the life that he saved; so much so that he finds himself forced to correct that mistake.

From this point, if you saw the opening credits which cover the first 90 seconds of the very first episode, you can guess the general direction of the series. Picture the TV series 'The Fugitive', but with a single storyline which went from the first episode to the last. Now throw in a detective (Inspector Runge) who is as calm, confident, and calculating as the devil himself, pursuing Tenma. There are also other characters in the series, who are crucial to how the story builds, and who are rather difficult to introduce clearly without spoiling some of the many subplots which build through the series. These characters include Tenma's ex-fiancée Eva, as well as a retired detective, a reclusive billionaire, two criminal psychiatrists, members of organized crime, ones involved in possible illegal dealings with the Czech police, a crusading defense attorney, and others.

There will be a few times where the main storyline seems to be put on hold, and a new storyline with new characters will be introduced. And you'd likely be wondering why things have taken a detour, or when they'll get back to the actual story. But the overall plot is much more complex and detailed than you may have seen on other serial thrillers such as 'Alias', '24', or 'Lost'. The seemingly disjointed story lines in 'Monster' slowly build to be a critical part in the overall plot, and the series overall doesn't have any wasted scenes or episodes (filler), nor the jumps and jolts which betray signs of last minute rewrites.

In short, this is one of the better suspense stories out there. The writing is solid, the characters are believable (even when their character changes), and the story always makes sense. In some story arcs, just when you think they're getting ready to wrap things up, they find a way to ratchet up the tension again. But it never seems forced, or cheap, like what is by far more common in most thrillers I've seen. 'Monster' is definitely a series which requires your full attention when watching it, due to the pace which events happen and the number of details which all come together as the story progresses. And if you don't mind a long story with a lot of twists and turns, this is definitely one worth following.
Edit: If it was Blood: the last vampire that you've seen... IIRC, Production IG (or is it the other way around?) made Blood+ about 5 years after that movie. I believe you should check that out.

If it wasn't the show you were thinking of, then you have Vampire Hunter D, Tsukihime, Tsukiyomi Moon Phase (god damnit, why did i watch this?), Lament of the Lamb, Trinity Blood and Black Blood Brothers. Well, all the popular ones right from the bat. I think.

@xinxin: Yeah.

Last edited:

.:BL4D3:.

HSC
I don't get into the longer animes like prince of tennis, naruto or even bleach, Kenshin put me off. It was good and all, just too long. You should try watching the shorter ones. Strictly <52 eps for me. In the process of watching FMA atm, and up to ep 7... damn... long way to go.
Btw, has anyone seen FFVII Before crisis? Desperate to get my hands on that series, but oh well. I'll be busy for a while anyway

Reshie

LilRed Spikey Haired Man
HSC
xinxin89 said:
Has anyone seen Ouran High School Host Club?

lmao that has been the weirdest but funniest anime
soo many gay moments.

anybody watched or heard of Honey and Clover.

P

pLuvia

zangetsu.xo said:
does anyone know what happens episode 157 onwards in prince of tennis?!?!?!
it's killing me!
What is episode 157 about first? I can't remember the episode numbers ;)

taiyou

HSC
I think I'm a little late posting here ^^; but what the hey. I love Ouran Koukou too! My fave anime would have to be hunterxhunter and Kino no Tabi though. Fave manga are Saiyuuki, Zig Zag and Meitantei Conan : )

Anyone go to Supanova?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
taiyou said:
Anyone go to Supanova?
yeah :) probably would have been better off staying at home considering it was in the middle of the hsc exams last year, but, you know. the temptation was a bit much, and everything. :eek: getting there was half the fun :D (i am such a noob dealing with anything further from where i live than like blacktown lol)

Reshie

LilRed Spikey Haired Man
HSC
taiyou said:
I think I'm a little late posting here ^^; but what the hey. I love Ouran Koukou too! My fave anime would have to be hunterxhunter and Kino no Tabi though. Fave manga are Saiyuuki, Zig Zag and Meitantei Conan : )

Anyone go to Supanova?
i heard it was overpriced even the entry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)