• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Ashes (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
very nicely said DRAGONZ, if they dont change the team for the 5th test, do u think any changes will be made for the ICC super series? Or will it be the standard one-day squad?

What does everyone think of Clarke's preformance? He seems to be overlooked by the controversy about the batsmen that come b4 him and bowlers that come after him

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Playing for the Australian team has clearly become something that the team take for granted nowadays. .
I sincerely doubt that.

DRAGONZ said:
I won't disagree that Gilly is by far the better 'keeper. He and Sangakkara are probably the only two in the world who can 'keep well to Shane Warne. Obviously the Sri Lankan outstrips Gilly in his ability to 'keep to Murali, but Gilchrist is a better batsman..
But Gilchrist has never kept to murali so how do you know that?
DRAGONZ said:
What is his batting average in this series, though? Seriously, it must be around about 20 or 25. He is the most talented batsman in the Australian side and he is failing miserably...
Gilchrists form has been ordinary with the bat, but hardly a miserable failure. His scores have been:
26(22) 10(14) 49(69) 1(4) 30(49) 4(30) 27(36) 11(11)
They look like good starts to me, but oviously Flintoffs ability to swing away from him, from around the wicket has stopped him from adding to his starts.

DRAGONZ said:
If Gilchrist and Martyn decided that they would be there at the end of they session or at the end of the day, and then they played to this plan ... just on the back of this ALONE, Australia would have wrapped up the Ashes by now.
Defensive batting isn't in the Gilchrist dictionary. If it was, he'd be a shadow of his former self, and bowlers wouldn't be so scared of him. (He has been voted the most indimitating batsman by world bowlers.)

For the past 10 years the aussie batsmen have hit their way out of trouble. To start playing away from your instinctual game is where you get into the most trouble. Expect them to do exactly the same on thursday and go all-out attack.

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
angelduck said:
What does everyone think of Clarke's preformance? He seems to be overlooked by the controversy about the batsmen that come b4 him and bowlers that come after him
He hasn't been questioned, and rightly so. He's currently the 4th highest runmaker of both sides.

vwola

HSC
hey who are the bowlers in the Aust. side this match...is Gillespie back?
I haven't been watching the news lately, need a lot of catching up to do.

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
vwola said:
hey who are the bowlers in the Aust. side this match...is Gillespie back?
I haven't been watching the news lately, need a lot of catching up to do.
i thinks its
mcgrath
lee
tait
warne

yeh

HSC
Bookie said:
Macgill or Watson will probably get a shot.

i'd definitely opt for macgill, he and warne could definitely work up a storm against the poms.

with simon jones out for england and mcgrath an almost definite for tommorrow night, it's gonna be a close one.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Bookie said:
Keep thinking Tash. As much as I like the guy, getting 0/128 a couple of days before ain't what you're looking for.

And its not gonna be a close one, KoB.
you are kidding right?

Code:
Lee                         13      0     69      0  [5.3]
Gillespie                   22      3     80      0  [3.6]
Tait                        15      1     72      2  [4.8]
MacGill                     24      0    128      0  [5.3]
Kasprowicz                  19      2     85      2  [4.5]
Hodge                       12      1     59      0  [4.9]
he didnt do that badly compared to the rest of the team. if you base it completely on economy rate, you'll drop lee aswell??

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Smokey_22 said:
But Gilchrist has never kept to murali so how do you know that?
I presume that Sangakkara wouldn't have been able to keep to Murali on the first time as well as he can now. Basically, if I had to choose a wicketkeeper to put in a World team on keeping ALONE, I'd choose him. Gilchrist would be my choice overall, though, because he is a better batter. In saying that, though, Sangakkara averages 49 in Tests with a S/R or 54. So he's certainly no mug with the bat.

Smokey_22 said:
Gilchrists form has been ordinary with the bat, but hardly a miserable failure. His scores have been:
26(22) 10(14) 49(69) 1(4) 30(49) 4(30) 27(36) 11(11)
They look like good starts to me, but oviously Flintoffs ability to swing away from him, from around the wicket has stopped him from adding to his starts.
By his standards, it is. Hayden is also averaging about 20 in this series, and people are more than willing to label his series as a failure. Like I said, perhaps it's the standards that Gilchrist has set for himself which have made me question his batting.

Smokey_22 said:
Defensive batting isn't in the Gilchrist dictionary. If it was, he'd be a shadow of his former self, and bowlers wouldn't be so scared of him. (He has been voted the most indimitating batsman by world bowlers.)

For the past 10 years the aussie batsmen have hit their way out of trouble. To start playing away from your instinctual game is where you get into the most trouble. Expect them to do exactly the same on thursday and go all-out attack.
Yeah, this is all part of the horrible conundrum he faces. As we all know, there's nothing better for a sportsperson than spending time in the arena. For a batsman, it's spending a good few hours out in the middle of an intense battle. But Gilchrist isn't a man who is willing to stick around ... if there's a ball wide of off-stump, he'll go flashing at it.

It's Martyn whose dismissals I've been particularly angry about. He's my favourite player in the team, but boy can he irritate us. He's the world's best batsman when Australia is 300 in front, but as soon as the going gets tough, Marto is sitting and watching from the pavilion.

Looking at him this series, he's managed to get to 25 or 30 with little to no trouble at all, and then just throw his wicket away. Either by getting runout, offering a lazy shot, or just losing his concentration.

As our number four, he should be prepared to come in and aim to bat out the whole day if he can. But he isn't doing this, even though he has the defensive panache to manage.

Oh well... I look forward to the Fifth Test with the hope that the sleeping giant will finally awake from its slumber and teach the Poms a lesson about cricket.

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
I
It's Martyn whose dismissals I've been particularly angry about. He's my favourite player in the team, but boy can he irritate us. He's the world's best batsman when Australia is 300 in front, but as soon as the going gets tough, Marto is sitting and watching from the pavilion.

Absolutely. Ive thought that all through his career, and in a sense it was branded on him when de villiers ripped through the aussie line up in 93-94, where he played that stupid cover drive.
But my opinion changed a little in the last indian tour - i think he was top scorer, where his runs were all under pressure.

Fifth test:

There have been predictions of rain, which would be such an anticlimax considering the see-saw season that has been. Trevor Hohns has hinted that only if Mcgrath was to be injured then an extra bowler would be used. Most likely Macgill and Stuey Clark would then be considered. McGraths fitness means once again a four pronged pace attack, of Lee, Tait, McGrath and Warne. The pitch was said to be 'as flat as a motorway' but i expect to see a result. The toss is a MUST win for ponting, as every test so far Australia has started on the back foot.
line-up (likely):
Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Clarke, Katich, Gilchrist, Warne, Lee, Tait, McGrath, (Kasprowicz 12th)

Result - Australia by 126 runs, series 2-2, Australia retains ashes.
MOTM - Warne
MOTS - Flintoff
Watch out for - Hayden's hundred.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
brett lee has a strike rate of a wicket every 52.3 balls. stewart macgill has a strike rate of 54.5. in fact have a look at the stats:
Code:
Name                Mat    O      M     R   W    Ave  Best   5 10    SR  Econ
B Lee                41 1378.1  274  5042  158  31.91  5-47   4  -  52.3  3.65
SCG MacGill          33 1454.5  299  4611  160  28.81  7-50  10  2  54.5  3.16
i am sure ponting would rather have warne bowling from both ends. he is the one who has troubled them in this series. so macgill would make a good inclusion. but it also depends on the pitch, but warne has been turning it on first day pitches with the new ball.

i think it will be a draw. another hundered for vaughan, ponting and hayden will get one too.

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
omg the poms are so stuck up...like srsly they have already planned an open roof bus for the team to tour around trafalgar square for when they "win" the ashes series...like srsly i would love to see them loose and then the aussies can show them who is boss...like omg i realli hate them now coz of that...who the hell plans a float to go around a city to celebrate their victory WHEN THEY HAVENT EVEN WON YET...geeeeeez...im glad i moved to australia from that horrible land...kaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

johnny_87

HSC
Marto may do that every now and then, but when we needed him in India, it was he and Clarke who stepped up and put on big partnerships to turn the tables.

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
England have chosen collingwood to bat at 7!

Theyre too scared shitless of being bowled out and have gone all defensive. Bastards.

The attack is only harmison, flintoff, hoggard and giles!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)