• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Ashes (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
WOOHOO! aussies win by 7 wickets! yay! i stayed up 'till 1am because gilchrist got out, but what a performance! 29 off 20 balls, smashed the poms everywhere! too bad for darren gough, he cleaned bowled gilly only to be called a no-ball.

can't wait for the series decider!

then the ASHES! that's where the real test is.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
It'll be a clean sweep for the Aussies in the ashes :)

My only concern is, how many more years does Warne and McGrath have in them. Our spinning stocks are low, Macgill is capable but he isnt getting any younger either. They could do with a Vettori :)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
They are the 'future', but wont be troubling any batsmen quite yet. Though Cameron White is the better of the two atm.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
dan cullen from south australia is better than white and hauritz. white seems like a handy batsman however.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Bit of a shame that our best up and coming spinner is actually a batting all-rounder rather than a spinner.

Cullen is pretty much being hyped over one or two good matches in the Pura Cup last year. Still need to see more of him to be honest.

But we should clean up in the Ashes provided neither Warne or McGrath get seriously injured. England have the bowling attack but I'm not sure if their batsman can cut it against us.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Bullshit England have the bowling attack. England are gonna win it with their batting, if anything else;

Harmison - a limited bowler who can be very rusty and start giving away extras
The other opener (Gough's retired from tests right? So its like Kabir Ali or Caddick) - shit
Flintoff - I can't believe how hyped up he is. He's a calmed down version of Lance Klusener to me. Mind you, Lance was one of the cleanest hitters of the ball, ever. Flintoff as a bowler is just waiting to get tonked.
Giles - spinner. All spinners deserve to be tonked, I can't beleive how they are used to keep the economy down. Put me in the test arena, Ill crack Murali for 6 first ball.
Vaughan - I really can't think of any other bowlers.

As compared to their batting, which is also pretty shit, but its better than their bowling on the world stage.

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
Do you a speak a Engles???
can u spell???coz like a srsly did not get wat Engles is unless its meant to b english den yeh i do speak english coz i live in australia n have been for the past 17years wich is all my life so yeh but yeh my forum tlk is like msn tlk so GET USED TO IT :uhhuh:

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Bookie said:
Bullshit England have the bowling attack. England are gonna win it with their batting, if anything else;

Harmison - a limited bowler who can be very rusty and start giving away extras
The other opener (Gough's retired from tests right? So its like Kabir Ali or Caddick) - shit
Flintoff - I can't believe how hyped up he is. He's a calmed down version of Lance Klusener to me. Mind you, Lance was one of the cleanest hitters of the ball, ever. Flintoff as a bowler is just waiting to get tonked.
Giles - spinner. All spinners deserve to be tonked, I can't beleive how they are used to keep the economy down. Put me in the test arena, Ill crack Murali for 6 first ball.
Vaughan - I really can't think of any other bowlers.

As compared to their batting, which is also pretty shit, but its better than their bowling on the world stage.
Harmison, Hoggard and Jones are all very capable wicket taking bowlers on their day and their styles are varied. Giles is an excellent defensive bowler who ties an end down very effectively and would allow a Harmsion or Jones to go for a few as long as they have a few catchers in. I think they can take 20 Australian wickets in 5 days, especially if conditions are helpful.

However I'm not sure if the likes of Trescothick, Strauss, Pietersen, Bell, Jones etc have the technique to stay at the crease long enough against our attack to set up big totals.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
tasha1188 said:
can u spell???coz like a srsly did not get wat Engles is unless its meant to b english den yeh i do speak english coz i live in australia n have been for the past 17years wich is all my life so yeh but yeh my forum tlk is like msn tlk so GET USED TO IT :uhhuh:
We communicate in English on this forum. Not in text speak. No-one's gonna take what you write seriously typing like that.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
HeCtic said:
Harmison, Hoggard and Jones are all very capable wicket taking bowlers on their day and their styles are varied. Giles is an excellent defensive bowler who ties an end down very effectively and would allow a Harmsion or Jones to go for a few as long as they have a few catchers in. I think they can take 20 Australian wickets in 5 days, especially if conditions are helpful.

However I'm not sure if the likes of Trescothick, Strauss, Pietersen, Bell, Jones etc have the technique to stay at the crease long enough against our attack to set up big totals.
I'm not gonna argue with your viable points, but anyone's good 'on their day'. As for their batting, you forgot Vaughan, who will be a key in the tests. But I reckon that their batting will have more of an effect, not because their bowlers suck that much (contrary to my previous point), but to the depth of Australian batting. Just ask New Zealand. They wont have subtitutions in tests, will they? Anyway, it'll shape up to be a pretty close series, my tip Australia 2-1 (DrDrAusAusEng).

tasha1188 said:
can u spell???coz like a srsly did not get wat Engles is unless its meant to b english den yeh i do speak english coz i live in australia n have been for the past 17years wich is all my life so yeh but yeh my forum tlk is like msn tlk so GET USED TO IT
Can you understand sarcasm??? Cause I seriosuly think you are too cool for me.
Dude, talk on MSN, dont bother coming here F ur gna tk lyk tis. Especially in a thread about test cricket. Most of us dont even know what a 'internet' is.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Bookie said:
I'm not gonna argue with your viable points, but anyone's good 'on their day'. As for their batting, you forgot Vaughan, who will be a key in the tests. But I reckon that their batting will have more of an effect, not because their bowlers suck that much (contrary to my previous point), but to the depth of Australian batting. Just ask New Zealand. They wont have subtitutions in tests, will they? Anyway, it'll shape up to be a pretty close series, my tip Australia 2-1 (DrDrAusAusEng).
After watching the South Africa series I pretty much saw that over 5 Test, at least one of their bowlers seemed to fire in every Test while the other 3/4 provided good backup and chipped in too. I think they work very well as a unit.

Vaughan is a top player but I don't know if the rest of his teammates have the technique to handle both McGrath and Warne over a whole series. We'll see where they fall short anyway by the end of the series :)

Sarah

HSC
N/A
copious said:
It'll be a clean sweep for the Aussies in the ashes :)

My only concern is, how many more years does Warne and McGrath have in them. Our spinning stocks are low, Macgill is capable but he isnt getting any younger either. They could do with a Vettori :)
What about Hogg? He's been doing alright so far.

I think we need an all rounder.

Watson doesn't seem to be doing that well although he's got age on his side

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Hogg hasnt featured much in tests, and when he does he'll be close to retirement.

Watson is improving but it will take alot of work if the aussies are to see a Kallis, Flintoff or a Cairns anytime in the near future.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
HeCtIc said:
After watching the South Africa series I pretty much saw that over 5 Test, at least one of their bowlers seemed to fire in every Test while the other 3/4 provided good backup and chipped in too. I think they work very well as a unit.

Vaughan is a top player but I don't know if the rest of his teammates have the technique to handle both McGrath and Warne over a whole series. We'll see where they fall short anyway by the end of the series
The south Africa series was a bit shitty (I'm a Proteas fan myself), but the whole series had no oomph to it - but I suppose the English did well to contain the South African batting lineup (it will be a force in a few years time).

As for Egnlsih batting, Vaughan, Trescothink and Strauss all have it in them to waste the Aussie attack. If Pietersen plays in the tests he may also be useful.

Sarah said:
What about Hogg?
When talking replcements, you usually try to name someone younger thanthe guy retiring.

Robbo_m8

Watching the one dayers it seems to me that the English top order is rubbish. Trescothick is usless like he always was, even his century wasnt convincing - though i will give him credit a century is a century. Strauss looks vulnerable, though obviously hes been in good form previously so maybe he'll come back. Vaughan looks hopless, nothing like the awesome perfomrance he put in back in Australia. Pieterson and Flintoff look like good sloggers, doubt very much whether they will get many big scores in tests. Collingwood has looked like a good test player, but he'll go out for Thorpe or Bell, more members of the old ashes campaigns. They wont strengthen the line up.
Saying all this, im pretty much basing this on the one day series, and tests are quite another thing. If Kaspa or Dizzy dont play well it could allow the poms to target these weaker bowlers, though Warne and McGrath are quite reliable in my opinon.
English Bowlers look good, ie Harmisson and Flintoff. Jones doesnt look much Chop though, and i havent really seen Hoggard, so we'll see. Another dimension is english fielding, which when it comes down to it, is much worse than Australia's. Geriant Jones however has impressed me (though he is a Qlder).

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Robbo_m8 said:
Watching the one dayers it seems to me that the English top order is rubbish. Trescothick is usless like he always was, even his century wasnt convincing - though i will give him credit a century is a century. Strauss looks vulnerable, though obviously hes been in good form previously so maybe he'll come back. Vaughan looks hopless, nothing like the awesome perfomrance he put in back in Australia. Pieterson and Flintoff look like good sloggers, doubt very much whether they will get many big scores in tests. Collingwood has looked like a good test player, but he'll go out for Thorpe or Bell, more members of the old ashes campaigns. They wont strengthen the line up.
Saying all this, im pretty much basing this on the one day series, and tests are quite another thing. If Kaspa or Dizzy dont play well it could allow the poms to target these weaker bowlers, though Warne and McGrath are quite reliable in my opinon.
English Bowlers look good, ie Harmisson and Flintoff. Jones doesnt look much Chop though, and i havent really seen Hoggard, so we'll see. Another dimension is english fielding, which when it comes down to it, is much worse than Australia's. Geriant Jones however has impressed me (though he is a Qlder).
Collingwood's a legend. He's always been underrated and hardly gets a mention in the media when the likes of Strauss (overrated piece of crap who made a good start to his career - at 28 - well done grandpa, the RSLs that way --->), Vaughan (he'll never get 200) and Trescothick (he's actually good). Didn't Thorpe retire, isn't he in NSW already? Someone update me.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Thorpe is still playing county, he's in contention for a middle order spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)