The 'Ask Any Biology Question' Thread (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Pedigree
- If two non-affected parents have an affected child, then the trait is recessive
- If two affected parents have a non-affected child, then the trait is dominant
- If there is a large bias towards males being affected, and sometimes generations are skipped, then the trait is recessive sex linked

And what about urine production do you want to know? Like the fish thing or like the kidney?

~~~
Procrastination is not working on your essay because year 12 bio is more interesting :'(
what about dominant sex linked?

madharris

HSC
N/A
kidney pls
isn't that like filtration, reabsorption and secretion?

You will probably have to know that in detail :p

Or is it like how it travels through the nephron (sorry, it's been a while since i touched year 12 bio)

madharris

HSC
N/A
what about dominant sex linked?
Well if it's dominant sex linked, then it's most likely that Only males are affected
- It is passed from father to all sons
- It does not skip generations

But i don't think you'd get a question like that would you?

xc1408

HSC
kidney pls
Tried to be really concise but:

1. Blood passes through into the glomerulus in the bowman's capsule. All the big molecules like your RBG, WBCs, platelets, proteins and some glucose is filtered out.
2. Because the pressure is so high (correct me if I'm wrong here though), some glucose enters into the proximal tubule and is actively reabsorbed with your amino acids.
3. Descending loop of henle: Water reabsorbed by osmosis
4. Ascending loop: Initially salts are passively reabsorbed (since conc. of salts in loop of henle > surroundings) however when equilibrium is reached salts are reabsorbed actively. Aldosterone may be released to increase the permeability of this loop to salt.
5. Distil tubule: regulation of pH of the blood takes place here by reabsorption of salts (active).
6. Collecting duct: permeable to water so water passes out by osmosis (ADH can be used here to increase the wall's permeability to water)
7. Urine!

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
isn't that like filtration, reabsorption and secretion?

You will probably have to know that in detail :p

Or is it like how it travels through the nephron (sorry, it's been a while since i touched year 12 bio)
Both haha

madharris

HSC
N/A
Tried to be really concise but:

1. Blood passes through into the glomerulus in the bowman's capsule. All the big molecules like your RBG, WBCs, platelets, proteins and some glucose is filtered out.
2. because of the high blood pressure in the glomerulus (as well as the high permeability of the capillary walls), it non-selectively forces some parts of the blood into the proximal tubule to become glomerular filtrate which is then actively filtered out (globerular filtrate consists of platelets, large plasma proteins, water, nitrogenous wastes, food materials, other ions and hormones
3. Descending loop of henle: Water reabsorbed by osmosis (walls permeable to water but not salt)
4. Ascending loop: Initially salts are passively reabsorbed (since conc. of salts in loop of henle > surroundings) however when equilibrium is reached salts are reabsorbed actively. Aldosterone may be released to increase the permeability of this loop to salt. (Walls permeable to salt but not water)
5. Distil tubule: regulation of pH of the blood takes place here by reabsorption of salts (active) and water follows by osmosis
6. Collecting duct: permeable to water so water passes out by osmosis (ADH can be used here to increase the wall's permeability to water)
7. Urine!
Looks more or less good :)

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
Well it was a summary, so I just added a few things that I thought was important :p

IR

HSC
Guys, Band 6 if you get this right:
Critically explain information regarding alleles. (9 marks)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
thanks guys.....

is it possible for them to ask about contemporary issues.....for example possibly ebola? (idk epidemiology or something)

noctua

HSC
For the communication peeps,

If the ciliary muscles contract does the lens thicken or get thin?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Could guys help me out in something..

In the kidney.. where dose Osmosis,Diffusion and Active Transport occur ?

I know the whole process but there is a dot point about this, and I wanna know as much as I can

noctua

HSC
If diffusion is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration through a semi permeable membrane, then considering that water is also made of particles, is osmosis diffusion?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
If diffusion is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration through a semi permeable membrane, then considering that water is also made of particles, is osmosis diffusion?
Yea, basically osmosis is a type of diffusion but ONLY for water particles..

Osmosis is basically the same as Diffusion but the types of particles is different.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Osmosis has a similar mechanism to diffusion (i.e. goes down a concentration gradient) but it is only pertained to water.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)