The Beijing Olympics (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: Boycott of Olympics

bassistx said:
It's like vegetarians donating to McDonald's House thingy.
It's just not right.
Why is it not right for vegetarians to donate to a charity for cancer patients and their families ?
Because they don't eat meat ?
Nice logic there ...

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

bassistx said:
It's like vegetarians donating to McDonald's House thingy.
It's just not right.
umm...

bassistx

HSC

ObjectsInSpace said:
I did not say anything one way or another regarding a boycott; I simply asked why a boycott of the Olympics would work when history has shown us it does nothing. There is some good in all evil, just the way there is some evil in all good. Yin and Yang: everything exists in duality, with some parts crossing over into the other. Testosterone makes us males, but we all have some level of estrogen in our system, just as women, whose gender is dictated by estrogen have some testosterone. Yin and Yang.

I believe it was the Chinese who introduced that concept to us.
You truly think right and wrong exist in this world? That everything is black and white? Please don't tell me you are so naive: there is a whole number of shades of grey that you cannot see in between. Sometimes we have to make decisions we don't agree with; sometimes we have to do things that go agaisnt everything we stand for, simply because there is more good in doing it than in not doing it. Boycotting the Beijing Olympics might be morally right, but it will do nothing for Tibet. China will not care if we don't go; they'll just see more opportunities. And not going would be counter-productive to the spirit of the Olympics, which is designed to end things like the occupation of Tibet. By not going we will have effectively exploited the people twice: once by contributing nothing to their cause, and a second time by denying the global unity the Olympic Games are supposed to represent. And we would have done it all simply so we can sleep soundly at night. Like I said: there is some evil in all good, and some good in all evil. The ability to understand that - and live with it - is what separates good leaders from great leaders. But right now, you see the world as it is, and the world as it should be. You need to learn to see the gap in the middle.
Is there not some form of global unity by standing up for China's victims?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

romancandle said:
Should Australia boycott the Beijing Olympics because of the on going human rights violations china commits, especially cocerning Tibet and religious practices?

This topic has come up recently in the press as China cracks down on Tibet, in an attempt to create a 'united front'. Rumours of 100 students partaking in a peaceful protest being masacred?

Please discuss :)
Yes. China doesn't deserve the Olympics considering its attitude towards it and human rights.

Not that I ever watch the Olympics anyway.

bassistx

HSC

Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Why is it not right for vegetarians to donate to a charity for cancer patients and their families ?
Because they don't eat meat ?
Nice logic there ...
You obviously missed the point, Ms. Bright

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC

bassistx said:
Yes but there is no way every single country is going to boycott it.

The IOC was moronic for giving it to them in the first place.

Why only start yelling about it now? Why weren't you furious when it was awarded to them seven years ago?

bassistx

HSC

Tulipa said:
Yes but there is no way every single country is going to boycott it.

The IOC was moronic for giving it to them in the first place.

Why only start yelling about it now? Why weren't you furious when it was awarded to them seven years ago?
I agree. It was moronic.
I was 9 years old in 2000. What would I have known?
I've been furiously gathering petitions since last (or was it the year before?) though.

HSC

ur_inner_child said:
Opening ceremony will be wowzers.

Don't underestimate China's creativity combined with general manpower.

Yeah I went there.
Yeah I think it'll be amazing too.

kaliber

HSC

don't believe everything you see in the media, theres a long history between tibet and the chinese government. The chinese government do what they think is appropriate, who are we to judge them and this system of communism + captialism is working well for them right now.

and why would Australia risk its current political and economic relations with the chinese by boycotting the olympics, i mean with the US going into recession Australia needs to maintain a healthy relationship with its Asian trading partners.

Last edited:
HSC

kaliber said:
don't believe everything you see in the media, theres a long history between tibet and the chinese government. The chinese government do what they think is appropriate, who are we to judge them and this system of communism + captialism is working well for them right now.

and why would Australia risk its current political and economic relations with the chinese by boycotting the olympics, i mean with the US going into recession Australia needs to maintain a healthy relationship with its Asian trading partners.
Otherwise China will stop buying our Gas? LOL AHHAHAHAHahhahaha

kaliber

HSC

youBROKEmyLIFE said:
Otherwise China will stop buying our Gas? LOL AHHAHAHAHahhahaha
doubt that. China struck a very good deal on purchasing australian gas, it was settled a few years ago and will last for a decade, they are currently getting gas at practically 1/4 of the market price.

If China turns to countries such as Brazil for its raw materials, Australia will suffer.

HSC

kaliber said:
doubt that. China struck a very good deal on purchasing australian gas, it was settled a few years ago and will last for a decade, they are currently getting gas at practically 1/4 of the market price.

If China turns to countries such as Brazil for its raw materials, Australia will suffer.
If China turns to countries such as Brazil for its raw materials, China will suffer more. I propose we'd have to REALLY piss them off politically for them to give half a shit when it comes to our trade relationship.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

bassistx said:
Good luck trying to convice everyone to abandon the Olympic Games. It would be incredibly hypocritical to do that: China isn't the only place where human rights get abused. And in your own way, you'd be abusing the rights of other; some of the smaller countries get very little chance to show themselves on the world stage. Besides, you're still not considering what I said earlier: what if is there is some good in this perceived evil?

Take CFCs for example. We know they pollute and damage the ozone layer, so we banned them. But refrigerators used CFCs because they were cheap and fairly easy to make. To use them in places like Africa, home of some of the world's poorest countries, would improve the quality of life for them. Foodstuffs could be kept fresher, for longer, preventing famine and outbreaks of disease. But no, we banned CFCs because they polluted too much. Africa wouldn't always use CFCs; once they developed enough, they could simply stop using them. We wanted peace of mind that we were doing our part of the environment at te expense of some of the poorest people on earth. How can we expect them to develop when we keep holding them back?

Maybe we were right to stop using CFCs; I wouldn't know, and it's not my place to pass judgement on that here and now. It's a question of whether the good outweighs bad. In the context of the Olympics, China is bad because they're occupying Tibet. It would therefore be good to boycott the Beijing Olympics. So far, so good. But what actual good would the boycott cause? Or, in other words, how would it lessen the evil? The answer is that a boycott does nothing. In some circumstances, it may increase that evil because the boycott is motivated by clearing our consciences rather than actually helping Tibet. Therefore, the good does not counter-act the evil.

The alternative, however, is to participate in the Games. The Olympics are designed to promote properity and unity among the world. Paticipating adds to that; not partipating removes from it. Therefore, there is more good in participating rather than boycotting, even if it does not change the situation in Tibet. It simply keeps the balance between good and evil in a state of equilbrium, whereas boycotting will remove from the good. A boycott is not the answer. Not unless we can organise one that would be wholly removed from our own selfish desires of a clear consience.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

kaliber said:
You mean what works for an unelected elite?

The country is fucked. Population is no excuse; see India and compare contentment, freedom, and development factors.

China is nowhere near as important to Australia as you make it sound. They're like a mosquito to us; we have so many other partners, and so many important resources that even if China for some reason decided to cut off trade, we'd quickly recover.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

Slidey said:
You mean what works for an unelected elite?

The country is fucked. Population is no excuse; see India and compare contentment, freedom, and development factors.
Occupied Tibet is ahead of India in all the individual economic and well-being indicators.

China is nowhere near as important to Australia as you make it sound. They're like a mosquito to us; we have so many other partners, and so many important resources that even if China for some reason decided to cut off trade, we'd quickly recover.
Lol..!

HSC

yea slidey kinda went too far the other way...

China is an extremely important trading partner, but at the same time I think it's highly unlikely that they will cease mutually lucrative trade relations with us over any political actions we take.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

youBROKEmyLIFE said:
yea slidey kinda went too far the other way...

China is an extremely important trading partner, but at the same time I think it's highly unlikely that they will cease mutually lucrative trade relations with us over any political actions we take.
It would hit Australia hard; as hard as the loss of ANY trading partner. But we'd recover quickly enough. China doesn't 'own' Australia.

dhj: keyword 'occupied'. Compare with the rest of the country and Tibet's history and it becomes evident that Tibet's success is due more to its differences with China than the impact of Chinese rule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)