• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Beijing Olympics (1 Viewer)

boris

Banned
HSC
Re: Boycott of Olympics

Yeah well, incase you haven't noticed, Australia's economic climate at the moment and the cost of living for most people isn't fantastic.

No person with an iota of intelligence would support a move that's going to damage Australia financially, or put us on tenderhooks with the Asia pacific region. It's not in our best interests.

This has to be dealt with in a manner that is effective to liberating those oppressed, yet not damaging to China's economy.

blakegman

HSC
N/A

Sport =/= Politics

An olympic runner goes to the olympics to run, not to make a statement.

bassistx

HSC

Long-term effects, not "at-the-moment".
I know a lot of nations rely on China.
America just controls the value of the dollar and China does the rest. Cutting trade with China would be harmful but if the govt cared about money so much and wanted to continue trading with Aus etc then they'd do something about their human rights issue.
It's sad to think you have to cut off a country to treat people right.

romancandle

HSC

So back on to the original topic lol.....

So yeh maybe a boycott of the games would just be symbolic. And even if we send out ream under protest, that would also, jsut be symbolic. But atleast Australia and our leaders and representatives would then becoming out in an ionternational reader voicing how pissed we are at what china is doing.

As people have said, governemnts and global citizens have known about these actions for years. Yet from my memory, no government has come out publicly and denounced china for its actions (Yes the US had that list, but china has just been takne off that. I hadnt even heard of it untill china was removed) Please, correct me if Im wrong. Acknowledging the problem and asking for china to show rrestraing is so old and so over used. That is also, just symbolic but it doesnt cut hard enough to the bone so to speak.

So what needs to be done? Short of marching into China with a few rifles or constructing trade embargos, nothing else in my point of view. Any other action would be just that, symbolic. But maybe, just maybe Australia's government can show enough back bone to come out on an international stage and publicly say china we know youve got power but we dont give a rats, stop fricking around and abusing human rights or we'll be very very upset. And upset aussies are something you definately dont want to contend with. K Rudd can even do it in their native tounge if it helps. Take a leaf out of choppers book: harden the f*ck up Australia.

As for that silly little person who brought up what my views were on the stolen generation? No comment- This has nothing to do with this topic.

Keep up the discussion! Its great.

zstar

HSC
N/A

Tibet will not separate from China, This is not an issue that Australia or any other country has any say and it's best people not get involved in the issues of other countries considering that Australia had to massacre alot of Aboriginals to get to where we are today I seriously doubt that Australia has any say in this issue.

Jesse Owens once said that the Olympics were a time to get away from war and politics so that athletes from all parts of the globe can compete with each other in unity and togetherness, It's best that people not politisize the Olympics games and it's not right to deny the athletes this event for something which has nothing to do with them.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

Get over the Ronald McDonald House Charity example and get back on topic guys.

boris

Banned
HSC

I just think you're all kidding yourselves if you think a boycott of the Olympics will do anything except damage incomes that could potentially be earnt by the Chinese people from the influx of tourism.

Really, on the grand scheme of things, it won't do anything to the Government. I even think if they were boycotted it'd be more upsetting for the Chinese people who wanted to showcase their country.

Aryanbeauty

HSC

_dhj_ said:
Wrong. Look up the "impact" (i.e. benefits) of occupation for tibetan minorities over the past fifty years (google wiki or whatever).
I looked up Wiki and I found this "National Bureau of Statistics shows that between 1959 and 2000 the Tibetan population decreased by about one million, a 15% decline. During the same period, the Chinese population doubled, and the worldwide population increased threefold.This analysis gives an additional argument concerning the estimation of the number of Tibetan deaths between 1959 and 1979."

If life under chinese occupation is so good then why did hundreds of thousands of tibetans fled to poorer country (according to you) like India, nepal and elsewhere in search of better life and freedom and live as a refugee instead of the rich and affluent life in Tibet.

I think Boycott is a great i dea to let the chinese know that they can shove their olympic medal up their arse. If the traditional western bloc boycott, it means beijing Olympic will lose half of its viewers and probably more than half of its TV revenue wich will put the Olmypic in financial trouble.

Remember china needs the west more than the west needs china. Everything made in china can be sourced from elsewhere, the only reason we use made in china products is because they are cheap.

Key-ring

HSC

Personally I believe that the Olympics should serve no greater purpose then a unification of the collective mind, where the issues like Tibet can be discussed freely. this is probably unlikely to happen this year, but instead of boycotting the event which has so much publicity maybe we should embrace it for what it is... not a sporting event but one where we can challenge nations, to politically place pressure on nations through public embarrassment for what they are doing wrong. This is an occasion where these sorts of issues can gain the support of the global community, not showing up will not help, saying something when you do show up, a whole lot more effective, particularly if you can cause trouble with the Beijing police.

P.S. what’s with the Chinees m accusing the Dali Lama of everything that goes wrong.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

zstar said:
Tibet will not separate from China, This is not an issue that Australia or any other country has any say and it's best people not get involved in the issues of other countries considering that Australia had to massacre alot of Aboriginals to get to where we are today I seriously doubt that Australia has any say in this issue.
Yeah; because of bad things our ancestors did 100+ years ago, that means we aren't capable of seeing or commenting on the bad things China is doing now.

Seriously that's one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard. "You killed people in the past, so China should be allowed to kill people now aswell!"

I mean I'm sure you're Chinese and feel some misguided patriotic need to defend China, but this is one you're not going to win; the whole "different culture" argument can never explain away mass-murder and extreme oppression.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

how lol-worthy is it though that diehard lefties who carry on endlessly about "occupation" and "oppression" and "imperialism" fully support China in Tibet just coz it's communist and tibet isn't :D

HSC

TBH I support china more because I can't see a wholly "democratic", unoppressive regime working in their country. Sure we still need to pressure them hard, but this is a really big fractured and poor nation.

zstar

HSC
N/A

I looked up Wiki and I found this "National Bureau of Statistics shows that between 1959 and 2000 the Tibetan population decreased by about one million, a 15% decline. During the same period, the Chinese population doubled, and the worldwide population increased threefold.This analysis gives an additional argument concerning the estimation of the number of Tibetan deaths between 1959 and 1979."

If life under chinese occupation is so good then why did hundreds of thousands of tibetans fled to poorer country (according to you) like India, nepal and elsewhere in search of better life and freedom and live as a refugee instead of the rich and affluent life in Tibet.

I think Boycott is a great i dea to let the chinese know that they can shove their olympic medal up their arse. If the traditional western bloc boycott, it means beijing Olympic will lose half of its viewers and probably more than half of its TV revenue wich will put the Olmypic in financial trouble.

Remember china needs the west more than the west needs china. Everything made in china can be sourced from elsewhere, the only reason we use made in china products is because they are cheap.

I think we should boycott Israel, Because your people are the root cause of most of the problems.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

youBROKEmyLIFE said:
TBH I support china more because I can't see a wholly "democratic", unoppressive regime working in their country. Sure we still need to pressure them hard, but this is a really big fractured and poor nation.
well if tibetan culture involves having a fractured poor nation they should be able to do that without imperialist occupation

sasa-o8

HSC

I'm all for the human rights of people, but I doubt boycotting the Olympics will do much.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

I aint boycotting nothin! :cool: I enjoy watching some bits of it tbh.

zstar

HSC
N/A

Captain Gh3y said:
well if tibetan culture involves having a fractured poor nation they should be able to do that without imperialist occupation
Tibet was Chinese long before 1949 get your facts right.

Look at any map from the Qing dynasty or Nationalist Era and you'll clearly that Tibet belonged to China.

Tibet never had a currency, an army or diplomatic relations with other countries so how can Tibet been independent? It's a non existant entity invented by a few separatists and western colonial powers.

The Dalai Lama is a lackey of the CIA and has always and still does fight for the CIA.

There is no country called Tibet, It's a lie propagated by a few exiles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)