The Bible (1 Viewer)

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I don't need faith to enjoy life.
I believe in myself, my friends, and my family.
And that's more than enough for me.

miss-emma

HSC
How do you know that the concepts you are taking from the bible come from God? How do you know they're not from satan? You cannot know this.
True i cannot know this. again i rely on my faith, the faith that i have developed...has not been influenced by family, etc

Perhaps a chance to understand the world, as best we can, in a way which doesn't need to evoke Gods/magic? I don't think you've really lost too much if you're wrong, but would that bring any more comfort to you if you were to discover these things were actually wrong?
well, i'd be dead when i would discover whether it is wrong, hence doesn't matter

There's no objective rule which states what is 'christian' and what is not. People take out of the bible whatever they want, all we can really say is that we have an operational definition of what it is to be christian by the collective agreement of groups of people who purport to be christians.
post-modernism influences this perception. that bible states what it is to be Christian: have faith in god, read bible, etc

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
True i cannot know this. again i rely on my faith, the faith that i have developed...has not been influenced by family, etc
That's fine - To re-interate: Do you accept that it's equally possible that your faith has led you to worship satan instead of God? You say you rely on your faith, but your faith may have been the result of satan's dealings.

well, i'd be dead when i would discover whether it is wrong, hence doesn't matter
Say one day you become an atheist or it's proven that God doesn't exist.

post-modernism influences this perception. that bible states what it is to be Christian: have faith in god, read bible, etc
It's not so simple as to 'have faith, read the bible, etc'. The bible may state what it is to objectively be a christian, but it's not something which we can readily understand no matter how much faith we feel we have.

Legham

HSC
miss-emma said:
i mean even if i am wrong about believing God what have i lost?
A shitload of the time in your life that was wasted on church and religious services and praying etc. And, on top of that, a hell of a lot of fun that you missed out on by being a goody goody and doing what that little book tells you..

lengy

HSC
My dear Catholic friend has less inhibitions than me, what does that say about Christian morality?

lengy

HSC
Isn't Christian morality the standard to which people are to uphold? Isn't that an argument that they base their attacks on the faithless?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Isn't Christian morality the standard to which people are to uphold? Isn't that an argument that they base their attacks on the faithless?
Yea man but what would you think if someone said 'My atheist friend masturbates over Goat.se, what does that say about atheist morality?'

samk00

Meh...
HSC
S1M0 said:
Here's my saying.

It does not contradict science and logic.
Does not contradict science and logic?

• Talking snakes (Genesis Creation Story)
• Talking Donkeys (Numbers 22:28)
• Virgin Birth?
• Global floods after which god creates the first rainbow? Last time I checked, rainbows form due to the properties of light as it passes through droplets of water. So did your god change the properties of light or water?
• Sticks magically transforming into snakes? (Exodus 4:2-3)
• Mystical creatures and dragons (Just read revelations)

The bible is full of fictitious fairytales and fables, it is no different to Greek mythology, it still surprises me how grown adults still believe that by praying over some crackers and grape juice they can be transformed into a god’s body and blood.

There is not one shred of evidence that the biblical god, or any other god exists.

There is no logic or science in Christianity (Or any other mainstream religion for that matter), it is all FAITH (believing for the sake of believing).

You wanted contradictions? here u go, over 143 Biblical contradictions.
http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/Contradictions.htm

annieehead

HSC
theres always the debate about science, i have doubts too, lots of stories in the bible could give you doubts, but then without God i just dont know how to make sense of life, why am i here? i cant live without knowing exactly where im going or why im here. i guess im someone who needs purpose more than fact, God has been there for me, its more than a religion, its a relationship.. i never post on these boards but i dunno, faith is something important to me, not saying everyone should convert or anything, but simply just think about why your here, whats the purpose? just to have fun? meet friends? get a good job, what comes next? i cant find answers without God..

Legham

HSC
annieehead said:
theres always the debate about science, i have doubts too, lots of stories in the bible could give you doubts, but then without God i just dont know how to make sense of life, why am i here? i cant live without knowing exactly where im going or why im here. i guess im someone who needs purpose more than fact, God has been there for me, its more than a religion, its a relationship.. i never post on these boards but i dunno, faith is something important to me, not saying everyone should convert or anything, but simply just think about why your here, whats the purpose? just to have fun? meet friends? get a good job, what comes next? i cant find answers without God..
Here's a question. Why do you need a reason/purpose to be here?

I'll answer it for ya myself, You dont!

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Legham said:
Here's a question. Why do you need a reason/purpose to be here?

I'll answer it for ya myself, You dont!
Of course you need a "purpose". You just don't need god to guide you to it.

triggy

HSC
Josie said:
I don't need faith to enjoy life.
I believe in myself, my friends, and my family.
And that's more than enough for me.
um. wtf?
who cares if you don't need faith to enjoy your life?
no one was asking if you do.
a guy hopped on and said hey, if anyone can find contradictions with the bible ill answer them and its lead to some big thing with people putting shit on christianity and anything else that comes to mind.

why doesnt everyone on this get a life.
if your christian great.
if your not, go to hell.
no ones asking you to change your beliefs?
theres just as much proof behind the bible being true as there is of all the scientific theories.
you think its bullshit the world was created in seven days?
i think its bullshit that the big bang THEORY is saying everything just popped out of no where one day from a big explosion.

orang3_

HSC
yeh .. We DO need a purpose to live, or else there is only one direction - suicide.

im a Christian, and i believe in God because God gave me faith to believe. im so glad.. and i hope evryone else is able to receive that present too.

For people who believe in science~ why do you only believe stuff that you can see; and say that God doesn't exist. Can you see the wind? no, but you can feel it. Can you see love and other feelings? nup, but you can feel it too.
If you only believe in what you see.. you're not seeing the whole picture.

Christians learn from history, which is written in the first part of the bible (BC). i think EVERYONE needz to learn from our contemporary(?) history.

we can learn that; whatever we do, we can never be satisfied... (except in God). We can't be satisfied with money .. "money cant buy happiness"~ because no matter how much we have - we want more and more ~~ also; fame can't give us happiness; in the past suicide so many actors and famous celebrities suicided; like marilyn monroe,and other ones today too .. [cant think ov any rite now]

and all the corrupted stuff we enjoye ~~ they'r all worthless;

Because without God, life is worthless ; life would be corrupted ; and in the end.. when you realise that all this is true; it might be too late -- so be humble and surrender to God !! be4 itz too late ><;

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
yeh .. We DO need a purpose to live, or else there is only one direction - suicide.
Atheists have much the same purpose in their life as christians do, please don't undermine my life as if it's something insignificant without belief in your god - You haven't a clue.

For people who believe in science~ why do you only believe stuff that you can see; and say that God doesn't exist.
Because if we have no way of observing X then we have no way to determine whether or not it exists.

Can you see the wind? no, but you can feel it. Can you see love and other feelings? nup, but you can feel it too.
If you only believe in what you see.. you're not seeing the whole picture.
We observe those things insofar as we can. We can see love/feelings through the actions of people, else no, we don't know whether we are loved and it may just so happen to be something imagined in our mind.

Anyway.... probably a troll...

cupcake08

HSC
um cant be stuffed to quote exactly what people said but a few points

a) on the whole prayer thing and whether christians are whiny

um firstly, i believe thats an incredible simplification, prayer as a christian is a lot more than just praying for what we want and having God 'change his plan' for us and make things 'turn out all right'. its also about glorifying God, asking forgiveness, giving gratitude, and having an ongoing, immediate, relationship with God.

also, among most christians i know there is no kind of conception that pray enough for something God will 'give in' and grant it. its generally accepted that if something is not within God's will or in the overarching plan of God it won't happen, not matter how much you pray for it.

b) also, ntb, you say that you can infer love exists because it makes itself evident in the actions of other people? well, cant a christian infer or as you put it 'observe insofar' that God exists because He makes himself evident in ways such as response to prayer, or even the actions of Christian people?

yes i know that there is probably never going to be any definitive evidence in this lifetime that God either does or does not exist. this may be cliched, but isn't a view where you limit yourself to only what you can see or definitively prove one that is incredibly constricting and not allowing for all that we clearly dont understand as human beings?

Legham

HSC
triggy said:
i think its bullshit that the big bang THEORY is saying everything just popped out of no where one day from a big explosion.
Yet you have no trouble in believe that God just popped up out of no where one day and managed to create a universe? See, the big bang actually makes some sense after the thing appearing out of nowhere, while god creating the world in seven days makes absolutely no sense after he appeared out of nowhere. Therefore, big bang theory is the best of the two theories (though obviously flawed still).

orang3 said:
For people who believe in science~ why do you only believe stuff that you can see; and say that God doesn't exist. Can you see the wind? no, but you can feel it. Can you see love and other feelings? nup, but you can feel it too.
Can you see God? No, and you can't feel it either. How exactly does that prove he exists? If that proves his existence, then its safe to assume that there are 47 other supernatural beings out there..

orang3 said:
Because without God, life is worthless ; life would be corrupted ; and in the end.. when you realise that all this is true; it might be too late -- so be humble and surrender to God !! be4 itz too late ><;
Who gives a shit if life is corrupted? It is the funner way to live, no question about it. If you're saying fun is worthless then you might as well be the one commiting suicide (not the atheists), because you're obviously going to live a terrible and boring life.

These two posters give further evidence in the argument in that other thread about Atheists generally being more intelligent than theists.

cupcake08

HSC
Legham said:
Yet you have no trouble in believe that God just popped up out of no where one day and managed to create a universe? See, the big bang actually makes some sense after the thing appearing out of nowhere, while god creating the world in seven days makes absolutely no sense after he appeared out of nowhere. Therefore, big bang ttheory is the best of the two theories (though obviously flawed still).
umm as far as i know most, or at least many Christians perceive God as an eternal being.. that is, He has always been there, and will exist infinitely. therefore, according to a christian viewpoint, the idea of 'popping up randomly' is not relevant, as it is with the big bang theory. also i think its already been stated at least once that it is widely believed that the 7 days of creation are considered to metaphorical days actually referring to much larger periods of time. a lot of genesis is considered to be symbolic, i dont think attacking it on a literal basis will make any of your points very potent.

legham said:
Who gives a shit if life is corrupted? It is the funner way to live, no question about it. If you're saying fun is worthless then you might as well be the one commiting suicide (not the atheists), because you're obviously going to live a terrible and boring life.
i was going to bring this up before, but i think that is a very contentious thing to say that an aetheistic life is better than a religious person's. i know that personally i find life more enjoyable living as a christian and the meaning and fulfillment that gives me as opposed to getting wasted every weekend and living your 'fun' way of life.
so yeah, maybe i am saying that to me, your concept of 'fun' is worthless. and no i dont think i live a terrible or boring life, and i'm not suicidal. not everyone enjoys their life purely because they can have 'fun' sleeping around or doing drugs/alcohol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)