The Bible (1 Viewer)

robbie1

HSC
Here is a thread where I will answer any questions about any part of the Bible, either Old or New Testament.

Many people find in the Bible what appear to be "contradictions" and generally things that disturb them. Post it here, I will explain it to you.

As the great St Jerome said, if there appears to be a contradiction in Sacred Scripture, there are one of two possibilities.

1) God Almighty made a mistake,

or

2) I (the reader) misunderstood the passage.

I will also happily answer questions about Christianity in general, particularly Catholicism.

Fire away....

Last edited:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I'll probably assist as well in trying to interpret The Bible and to answer questions alongside with robbie1.

So guys, shoot away.

jest

HSC
i got questions..

do the contradictions in the bible exist mainly between the new and old testaments? is it in catholicism (or christianity in general) that the new testament is "more right/more relevant" than the old one?

i don't get why only select things in the bible are being followed but others aren't :confused:

robbie1

HSC
S1M0 said:
I'll probably assist as well in trying to interpret The Bible and to answer questions alongside with robbie1.

So guys, shoot away.
Cheers mate.

robbie1

HSC
jest said:
i got questions..

do the contradictions in the bible exist mainly between the new and old testaments? is it in catholicism (or christianity in general) that the new testament is "more right/more relevant" than the old one?

i don't get why only select things in the bible are being followed but others aren't :confused:
Give me an example of a "contrdiction" and I will show how it really isn't a contradiction at all.

aussiechica7

HSC
I believe the New Testament interprets the Old Testament for Christians. I.e. the principles of the OT still stand but you should read them through NT.

E.g. In the Torah (OT) it talks a lot about animal sacrifice. Christians do not sacrifice animals. That's because Jesus is expressly stated in the Gospels and elsewhere in the Bible as the "Lamb of God" (who takes away the sins of the world). So the idea of the sacrifical lamb remains, its just not a literal animal anymore.

E.g. People talk about the Sabbath- which is expressly stated as a Commandment. But Jesus said He was Lord of the Sabbath. Also, in Romans, Paul talks about some people considering one day especially holy, and others considering every day holy. What is important is that every man has his own conscience about it, and respects each other's decision. (I.e. if you want to be a SDA and keep Saturday as the Sabbath, cool, if not, cool too. Just respect each other.)

E.g. Under the OT, adultery results in the death penalty. Should it still? Technically all sinners are under the (spiritual) "death" penalty but the death of Christ has taken away the "sting of death" from us. Let's look at the story of the woman caught in adultery. Jesus said "you who are without sin, be the first to cast a stone". Eventually everyone left but Jesus. "Where are you condemners?" He asked. "They have gone" she said. "Then neither do I condemn you. Go now and leave your life of sin." So Christians still define adultery as sin, but physical death is not the appropriate punishment because Jesus Christ has already taken the punishment. Does that make sense?

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
Hollycrap i m in the wrong thread ,
a quick pray to god
" GOD can u demolish Fundamentalism from this world"
Peace, Jesus ;)

lengy

HSC
Does your 'God' endorse 50 Cent and Eminem? Does he endorse their actions? Are 50 Cent and Eminem contemporary prophets? Does 'God' endorse televangelists?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Give me an example of a "contrdiction" and I will show how it really isn't a contradiction at all.
Through the sort of wild confabulations that would make a holocaust denier blush. Find me a problem with the accuracy of harry potter and I'll do just as good a defense.

What do you think of this statement:

"The Biblical should not be interpreted literally if it contradicts what we know from science and/or our logic."

Last edited:

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
Matthew 21:18

why did jesus have to kill the fig tree? what did the tree ever do to him?

killing trees isnt cool.

circusmind

HSC
robbie1 said:
1) God Almighty made a mistake,

or

2) I (the reader) misunderstood the passage.
3) The Bible wasn't written infallibly.

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
DeathB4Life said:
Matthew 21:18

why did jesus have to kill the fig tree? what did the tree ever do to him?

killing trees isnt cool.

Yes i agree, poor trees mad:
Trees are awesome:)

signed
Miss Captain planet/ tree hugger ( go with the greens ):D

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
aussiechica7 said:
Christians still define adultery as sin, but physical death is not the appropriate punishment because Jesus Christ has already taken the punishment. Does that make sense?
No that doesn't actually make sense.

He took the punishment, not essentially for the physical purpose, but for the spirtiual. He took the sins of the world, and was punished on behalf of the world. This allowed the sin of Adam of Eve to be forgiven, and the gates to heaven and to hell was opened.

Physical death is not the appropiate punishment because what's the point of letting the person suffer now if he's going to suffer all of eternity when he dies? Also, killing is not allowed, shown by the Ten Commandments and Jesus Christ's teachings.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
jest said:
i got questions..

Well, thats because the Old Testament was God's way of dealing with his chosen people at the time, the Old Testament, and its first 4 books that deal with laws, do not neccesarily apply to Christians, because they are no longer necessary.

The New Testament would be more right/revelant because it incorporates Christian ideals, not Jewish ones. It teaches based on Christian ideals, which are to love one another, forgive, etc. The Jewish ideals, and more specifically the many,many laws that are in the first 4 books of the Old Testament, are just that. Laws. They apply for the Jewish people, but its relevant to the Christian people because they can observe how we evolved from Judaism.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
"The Biblical should not be interpreted literally if it contradicts what we know from science and/or our logic."
Here's my saying.

It does not contradict science and logic.

Now, the most obvious example would be The Creation Story, yes?

The world cannot possibly be created in 7 days. Fair enough. Thing is, is a day in the Bible a day in the sense of 24 hours?

No. Its not.

A day in the sense of 24 hours was concieved well and truly AFTER the bible, and more specifically, AFTER the Torah/Old Testament was written. A day can mean ANY peroid of time therefore, and it cannot thus contradict science/logic because it is possible that the Big Bang Theory is right. After all, all what Science is is trying to understand God's work.

And no, you're clearly not going to believe that.

Think again.

When he made light, the world it took a day. A day, sure. Thing is, he made day and night around 3-4 "days" AFTER the made lightness and darkness, the world, waters, etc. Thus, the sense of a day in the bible being a lunar day (i.e 24hrs) is wrong, because day and night, neccesary to establish the sense of the lunar, could not exist.

Your move.

Last edited:

jest

HSC
S1M0 said:
Well, thats because the Old Testament was God's way of dealing with his chosen people at the time, the Old Testament, and its first 4 books that deal with laws, do not neccesarily apply to Christians, because they are no longer necessary.

The New Testament would be more right/revelant because it incorporates Christian ideals, not Jewish ones. It teaches based on Christian ideals, which are to love one another, forgive, etc. The Jewish ideals, and more specifically the many,many laws that are in the first 4 books of the Old Testament, are just that. Laws. They apply for the Jewish people, but its relevant to the Christian people because they can observe how we evolved from Judaism.
ok so not including the 10 commandments cos i know they use that but regarding the other laws (the not necessary ones) can christians still use those laws to justify actions? like can they pick and choose which laws to follow from the old testament?

stephenchow

HSC
S1M0 said:
Your move.
I summon ... THE DARK MAGICIAN!!!!!!!!!

Btw, Torah does not equal the Old Testament. The Torah only contains the first five books of the Old Testament.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)