The Bible (1 Viewer)

HSC
Otterhead said:
How do you know the stories were meant to be symbolic?

Where could you possibly draw that conclusion from? There are millions of people who disagree with you and would say everything is true as it is written and that you are going to hell for not belieiving the world was created in 6 days. How could you possibly begin to argue on any sort of sophisticated level with these people, who ignore evidence and rationality in the name of their delusions? Think about this.

This is how we feel when we argue with you.
this is based on what i have been taught in catholic studies coming from a catholic school. so i am assuming that it is the right teaching of the catholic church.

Otterhead

HSC
and what evidence do you have that the Catholic Church is the correct interpretation of the hundreds of different ones around the world?

It sounds to me like you're playing a cosmic game of chance.

Why don't you free your mind, do a bit of reading into the philosophy of atheism, and become part of the clear beacon of rationality and progress in the world?

You quite clearly have no real reason to believe what you do.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
eh, imma a bible-basher, but history teachers tell me that the word that 'day' was translated from in hebrew actually means a period of time....so properly translated its 6 periods of time...

X

xeuyrawp

Exphate said:
Rev 20:7

You know why?

It proved that the bible is bullshit.
χίλιοι is really an indefinite number, the same way as pretty much all ancient cultures (Egyptians included) had a number which meant 'a long time'. The Coptic, for example, uses the (Egyptian) word for 'millions' instead.

If they actually meant 1000 years, they would have used the numeral for it in both cases.

Not sure why the KJV+ translates it as 'one thousand'.

We used to do the same thing in English (see Shakespeare), but then it turned into exaggeration rather than just the indefinite.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
umm.

i dunno.

i like the proverbs and the psalms as they generally give you wisdom.

ie.

something about knowledge being more precious then silver or gold.

lgaica

HSC
the bible is waste of time and is full of false truths

/endthread

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
Otterhead said:
and what evidence do you have that the Catholic Church is the correct interpretation of the hundreds of different ones around the world?

It sounds to me like you're playing a cosmic game of chance.

Why don't you free your mind, do a bit of reading into the philosophy of atheism, and become part of the clear beacon of rationality and progress in the world?

You quite clearly have no real reason to believe what you do.
I don't think there is any way of finding out exactly who's interpretation of the bible is right... that's where our faith comes in.

..i guess you can call it a game of chance and i believe you're playing the same game puting your faith in atheism or whatever it is you believe in.

E

Empyrean444

Revelations. The only readable book that won't bore you to death. Good fiction.

Lani89

HSC
Don't diss it unless u have actually read the bible and made the effort to learn more. I am reading it almost everyday now. It leaves me refreshed and it answers quite a lot of my questions. For those of you who diss it, what proof do u have to say God doesn't exist?

Innominate

HSC
You probably didn't start at the beginning which is why it makes so much sense. In fact you probably weren't even reading the bible, probably some Matthew Riley thriller or something you twat.

Though to be fair Matthew Riley is a very talented writer and drawing parallels to the bible isn't really fair just from the quality of the writings.

HalcyonSky

HSC
Lani89 said:
Don't diss it unless u have actually read the bible and made the effort to learn more. I am reading it almost everyday now. It leaves me refreshed and it answers quite a lot of my questions. For those of you who diss it, what proof do u have to say God doesn't exist?
i read it whenever i feel like a laugh riot

pinkly

Hands are handy.
HSC
Lani89 said:
For those of you who diss it, what proof do u have to say God doesn't exist?
And likewise, what proof do you have that God does exist?

In year eight or something, a bloke came to our school and spoke to everyone who wasn't in scripture class (i.e. Buddhists, non-religious students) and gave us all a copy of the Bible. If that isn't recruitment, I don't know what is.

Anyway, I've nothing malicious about the Bible. I'm just saying.

Lani89

HSC
Innominate said:
You probably didn't start at the beginning which is why it makes so much sense. In fact you probably weren't even reading the bible, probably some Matthew Riley thriller or something you twat.

Though to be fair Matthew Riley is a very talented writer and drawing parallels to the bible isn't really fair just from the quality of the writings.
who is this directed to?

Lani89

HSC
pinkly said:
And likewise, what proof do you have that God does exist?

In year eight or something, a bloke came to our school and spoke to everyone who wasn't in scripture class (i.e. Buddhists, non-religious students) and gave us all a copy of the Bible. If that isn't recruitment, I don't know what is.

Anyway, I've nothing malicious about the Bible. I'm just saying.
It's just a thing I have believed in all my life. I was not thrown the Bible, I made a decision to find out things for myself at my own pace. At one stage I did have my doubts about if God existed but I guess you either have it in u or u dont and for those who are driven by facts and science it is harder to show them proof. Good for u if ur proud of what u do or dont believe in but i think people should respect what others think and stop trying to cut down part of their life by trying to find "proof".

I know that many find it hard to believe and I understand that but i know people who were atheists and something happened to them that changed their lives and they found their faith.

jennieTalia

HSC
I actually forced myself to read the Bible. And although I don't really believe in instiutional religion, it was worth it just for the insight into other people's beliefs. And the messages are useful even if you aren't religious at all.

Some of it is quite insightful.

With the Bulldogs next year; that is, the Yale Bul
HSC
Look, [the way I see it is that] it's not a book for facts and history, but rather as an elaborate construction to retard the development of the human race, and, as a glorified novel that instructs and imparts homilies to shape morals and ways of live.
In spite of that, it is not to be followed as it simply breeds insularity, closemindedness, and prejudice.

jennieTalia

HSC
PrettyOddProlix said:
Look, [the way I see it is that] it's not a book for facts and history, but rather as an elaborate construction to retard the development of the human race, and, as a glorified novel that instructs and imparts homilies to shape morals and ways of live.
In spite of that, it is not to be followed as it simply breeds insularity, closemindedness, and prejudice.
You have to take into mind the context it was written in.
The patriarchal superstitious etc etc etc....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)