The Cricket Thread (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: The Official Cricket Thread

Hey, if Tendulkar gets a century in the ODI series - that still counts as a 100th hundred, correct? I'm 99% sure it is.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah it does.
-
BCCI announced its 17 man squad for the ODI series in Aus, Ishant Sharma not playing:

Squad: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (C), Sachin Tendulkar, Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Manoj Tiwary, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Zaheer Khan, Umesh Yadav, Praveen Kumar, Irfan Pathan, Rahul Sharma, Vinay Kumar and Parthiv Patel

Pacers Praveen Kumar and Irfan Pathan have also been included in the 17-member Indian squad that will take on Australia and Sri Lanka in the tri-series.

michaeljennings

HSC

Let's hope they still have their ODI charm.
mm yea im hoping for a really good series after the disappointment of the test series (although it has been fun rubbing it in to all my indian friends)

halapenyo

HSC

Yeah it does.
-
BCCI announced its 17 man squad for the ODI series in Aus, Ishant Sharma not playing:
rahul sharma is a really economical legspinner and jadeja is a very useful all rounder. i think india will definitely be more competitive in the one dayers. and sri lanka look decent atm too. they have some new guys who are doing well.

Lentern

HSC

Poor guy Dhoni, he's a talented guy, just a bit unlucky at the moment it seems.
Nah he's the chief culprit. He doesn't care about test cricket, he's more interest in the versions of the game that will make him more money so he jam packed his schedule with them, then demands that he gets some time off so you get situations like this series where they end up playing like three and a half days total of tour matches with players being rotated etc instead of what they should be doing which is coming down a month in advance and playing two or three hard games of first class cricket. Dhoni demanded a hands off coach that would give absolute authority to the captain, then he proceeded to dick around once he got the captaincy. He's been playing across the line and slashing at wide ones when he's team is desperate, he has no temperament for test cricket.

This is a team with enormous talent but massive discipline problems. They brought in Greg Chappell a while back to try and instill in them some real work ethic and Ganguly and Bhajji spat the dummy and started a war against him in the press until he was fired. Then Dravid who was one of the few players in the side with a truly professional work ethic was pressured incessantly to give up the captaincy in favour of Ganguly however Kumble was wisely appointed in his place, Kumble a man from a different era was actually commited to test cricket and uninterested in One day cricket and 2020, much to the chagrin of many of the others in the side but after injury forced his retirement and Dhoni took over it's been pathetic. There are three batsman with batting averages in the fifties in this side, five with averages over 45, they didn't go down because they were "outclassed" they went down because they were lazy, ill disciplined and half hearted. Dravid and Tendulkar you might excuse as being slightly age challenged but the rest bar Kohli (who actually looks to chase hard in the field, run the first single hard, try to keep the ball on the ground, leave the bat ones etc) have been embarrassing.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

Nah he's the chief culprit. He doesn't care about test cricket, he's more interest in the versions of the game that will make him more money so he jam packed his schedule with them, then demands that he gets some time off so you get situations like this series where they end up playing like three and a half days total of tour matches with players being rotated etc instead of what they should be doing which is coming down a month in advance and playing two or three hard games of first class cricket. Dhoni demanded a hands off coach that would give absolute authority to the captain, then he proceeded to dick around once he got the captaincy. He's been playing across the line and slashing at wide ones when he's team is desperate, he has no temperament for test cricket.

This is a team with enormous talent but massive discipline problems. They brought in Greg Chappell a while back to try and instill in them some real work ethic and Ganguly and Bhajji spat the dummy and started a war against him in the press until he was fired. Then Dravid who was one of the few players in the side with a truly professional work ethic was pressured incessantly to give up the captaincy in favour of Ganguly however Kumble was wisely appointed in his place, Kumble a man from a different era was actually commited to test cricket and uninterested in One day cricket and 2020, much to the chagrin of many of the others in the side but after injury forced his retirement and Dhoni took over it's been pathetic. There are three batsman with batting averages in the fifties in this side, five with averages over 45, they didn't go down because they were "outclassed" they went down because they were lazy, ill disciplined and half hearted. Dravid and Tendulkar you might excuse as being slightly age challenged but the rest bar Kohli (who actually looks to chase hard in the field, run the first single hard, try to keep the ball on the ground, leave the bat ones etc) have been embarrassing.
I would also add that Laxman is age challenged - the man cannot run at all hahaha.

Lentern

HSC

I would also add that Laxman is age challenged - the man cannot run at all hahaha.
Laxman never could run, he's always been pretty ill disciplined, he was next on Chappell's hitlist after Chappell sacked Ganguly but then the BCCI sacked Chappell first. The point is I was defending in particular Dravid but also Tendulkar, saying they haven't batted like they don't care, they looks like players struggling but giving their all, just lacking the magic of previous days. Laxman on the other hand has been cavalier and reckless a lot of the time like a player who earns his money elsewhere and doesn't really care that much about test cricket anymore.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

I wouldn't say Dravid struggled last year though, he was the leading test run scorer with an average slightly higher than his career average. I do see your point though, they are the two that are fighting.

Lentern

HSC

I wouldn't say Dravid struggled last year though, he was the leading test run scorer with an average slightly higher than his career average. I do see your point though, they are the two that are fighting.
Dravid's reflexes are going I think, you'll also notice he's dropping more catches at slip where he once was described as the greatest slips fieldsman in the world. On subcontinent pitches and even good true hard wickets he is still formidable but on faster pitches he is getting increasingly vulnerable and it grieves me to say it. He has been one of the greatest ambassadors the game has had for such a long time. I watched a bit of Dravid's batting this year too and he's not the same batsman, he is getting into position a lot later than he used to and his timing is not what you'd expect. He scored those runs because he is such a disciplined, professional who avoids risks, gets the ball to ground etc but now its coming unstuck for him.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

4-0 whitewash like England?

Lentern

HSC

Wonderkid Tiwary in the one day side, will watch with interest.

halapenyo

HSC

Manoj, Saurabh is a solid player but he isn't shattering records or anything.
yeah manoj is the more reliable and consistent player. saurabh is more of a t20 player.

hopefully the ODI series will be as good as last years. Watson at the MCG was amazing. and then the chase of 333 at the SCG.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

will Lyon play at Adelaide lol

halapenyo

HSC

will Lyon play at Adelaide lol
most probably, considering its his home ground. and also it is a batting pitch so there really isnt much point to playing 4 seamers.

halapenyo

HSC

lol couldnt get worse for india. lost the toss. have to field in 37 degree heat today on a batting pitch. australia could potentially rack up 500-600 runs today and tomorrow.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Should be an interesting match

halapenyo

HSC

india have two early wickets but they shouldnt be celebrating just yet. they had australia 3/37 in sydney and australia ended up making 4/659

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)