the cross cultural component? (1 Viewer)

speedofsound

HSC
i still don't get what it actually is... could someone help explain? not the continuity and change one, but the additional one we have to do this year.

myonlyhope90

HSC
Uni Grad
Cross-cultural Component:

"Does the topic reflect some knowledge and understanding of viewpoints different from that of the immediate culture of the student in terms of, for example, socioeconomic group, gender, ethnicity or location?"

(Assessment and Reporting in Society and Culture 2009)

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
yeah i read that, but i still don't get it lol.
What is it about it that you don't get? Essentially Soc Cult is about looking at people from a culture other than your own, this is obviously the purpose of the CC. It highlights the effects of socialization factors and shit like that. All you need to know that culture doesn't just emerge from things such as religion but age, gender, sub groups, interests, etc etc.

speedofsound

HSC
i get that it's like, looking at your topic from a different perspective and i was thinking of focusing on sub groups in sexuality, but i just don't know how to attack it...

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
i get that it's like, looking at your topic from a different perspective and i was thinking of focusing on sub groups in sexuality, but i just don't know how to attack it...
All you have to do is compare and contrast the opinions of your chosen cross cultural groups. Easy as pie! Oh and, do you know silver persian, the mod? He'd probably be happy to talk to you, he did his thesis on discrimination within the gay community. He might be of some help. Tehe.

speedofsound

HSC
All you have to do is compare and contrast the opinions of your chosen cross cultural groups. Easy as pie! Oh and, do you know silver persian, the mod? He'd probably be happy to talk to you, he did his thesis on discrimination within the gay community. He might be of some help. Tehe.
oooh thank you :)

HSC
Sounds like you've figured it out by now but just in case you want a little more reassurance, the PIP requires you to have a cross-cultural component, which basically means that you have to investigate something outside your own realm of experience. This ensures you choose a topic that means you can learn something new rather than just regurgitate information without having a learning journey.

A cross cultural component doesn't necessarily mean a culture different to your own, it can also be investigating someone/ a group of people with a different religion to yourself, gender, sexuality, time, generation, age, environment, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, subculture, or culture if you want to etc... It basically means that you have to explore/include a viewpoint that is not likely to be the same as your own.

You need to demonstrate at least one cross cultural component in your PIP, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a focus of your PIP e.g. you could look at how indigenous peoples in a given community practise a certain ritual and if you mention you are not indigenous you don't have to keep contrasting your experience with the given ritual only make it clear you actually did research instead of give your own life story. Did that make sense or did I lose you at the end:p ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)