The Da Vinci Code...THE MOVIE (1 Viewer)

xx__savannah

HSC
So it's coming out on the 19th? I've seen it as the 18th in Australia on imdb.com and the A.M.C. movie guide, but they say it comes out friday the 18th, apparently. It'll probably be on the Friday, though.

And I don't particularly like Langdon played by Hanks -- I wanted Clive Owen to play him.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
xx__savannah said:
And I don't particularly like Langdon played by Hanks -- I wanted Clive Owen to play him.
i thought harrison ford was born to play langdon.
clive owen's american accent is slightyl dodgy.
tom hanks wont be that bad.

xx__savannah

HSC
i thought harrison ford was born to play langdon.
clive owen's american accent is slightyl dodgy.
tom hanks wont be that bad.
Wasn't Langdon described as a younger Ford? If he was still young, definately, but I always just saw Clive Owen for some reason, ya know how no matter what descriptions say you sometimes just ignore them?

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
xx__savannah said:
Wasn't Langdon described as a younger Ford? If he was still young, definately, but I always just saw Clive Owen for some reason, ya know how no matter what descriptions say you sometimes just ignore them?
...no, harrison ford is the man for the job. but no matter. Langdon can be a pudgy, jowly, slack-jawed man if the casting directors see fit.

clive owen could do it, sure. he is a good actor and would make a go of it, but the accent would hinder him. it was the only thing wrong with his otherwise flawless performance in "closer".

i think clooney could have done it, too. but i also think he's a bit too good for it now, after "good night and good luck" and all.

ultimately it is a magazine-y book, not to be taken too seriously.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Apparently last 15 minutes was weird or something, according to the critics. Despite the criticism it's had from the critics, I still want to see it.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
Apparently last 15 minutes was weird or something, according to the critics. Despite the criticism it's had from the critics, I still want to see it.
I didn't like it and it didn't live up to the hype it was given IMO. Funnily enough, the cinema didn't have a lot of people either lol.

kb1509

NO COMPROMISE
HSC
yeah.. i want to watch it regardless and see for myself!

HSC
i haven't read the book and am personally really sick of hearing about it, but yeah i ended up seeing it earlier with a friend and i thought it was alright actually. didn't recognise that paul bettany guy AT ALL. he looked so creepy.

ha, there were these dudes outside handing out some christian paraphernalia, i was like "yeah, sure .. hey you liked the da vinci code? come join our cult!" and they death stared me :eek:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
katietheskatie said:
i haven't read the book and am personally really sick of hearing about it, but yeah i ended up seeing it earlier with a friend and i thought it was alright actually. didn't recognise that paul bettany guy AT ALL. he looked so creepy.

ha, there were these dudes outside handing out some christian paraphernalia, i was like "yeah, sure .. hey you liked the da vinci code? come join our cult!" and they death stared me :eek:
haha funny one.
Channel 9 was filimg outside for people's reaction and opinions of the film after i watched it.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Not great, not particularly bad either. Considering how the book was written and the way Akira Goldsman wasn't about to mess with the dialogue, I wasn't surprised at how stilted the movie felt.

1. Paul Bettany cracks me up. The SMH said he looked like he was drenched in liquid paper but never mind that, his face just made me laugh silently in the cinema til I had tears coming out :rofl:

2. Tom Hanks is a great actor and all and I really like him but WRONG for this part. He is supposed to be some Harvard professor but sounds like a dumb arse for 85% of the movie.

3. Seeing Silas in robes looking like he belongs in 15th century Rome and then driving some BMW car was funny...Ok, so I basically just thought the character of Silas was just downright funny...almost like a caricature.

4. Sir Ian McKellen was GREAT as expected, really. He provided the only spark in the movie :D "You're gonna have to shoot me....start with him" :D

5. Audrey Tatou was pretty good and was likeable but nothing really special. They way they put her "family" plot story together at the end was horribly sloppy. Was done badly in the book and done worse in the film.

Hooray for Robert Langdon and Sophie not getting together at the end. I thought that was RIDICULOUS in the book.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
Not great, not particularly bad either. Considering how the book was written and the way Akira Goldsman wasn't about to mess with the dialogue, I wasn't surprised at how stilted the movie felt.

1. Paul Bettany cracks me up. The SMH said he looked like he was drenched in liquid paper but never mind that, his face just made me laugh silently in the cinema til I had tears coming out :rofl:

2. Tom Hanks is a great actor and all and I really like him but WRONG for this part. He is supposed to be some Harvard professor but sounds like a dumb arse for 85% of the movie.

3. Seeing Silas in robes looking like he belongs in 15th century Rome and then driving some BMW car was funny...Ok, so I basically just thought the character of Silas was just downright funny...almost like a caricature.

4. Sir Ian McKellen was GREAT as expected, really. He provided the only spark in the movie :D "You're gonna have to shoot me....start with him" :D

5. Audrey Tatou was pretty good and was likeable but nothing really special. They way they put her "family" plot story together at the end was horribly sloppy. Was done badly in the book and done worse in the film.

Hooray for Robert Langdon and Sophie not getting together at the end. I thought that was RIDICULOUS in the book.
silas was cool !

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Sarah168 said:

i didnt laugh :/

Completely agree

i think he is meant to represent the types of catholics stuck in very old catholic ways but in a modern world. So i didnt really notice the BMW thing...

I agree, he was great. I laughed loads when he said stuff. Shame he was the baddie.

Wasnt her brother still alive in the book too? i havent read it in ages but i thought she was raised by Sauniere and her broher raised by her grandmother near rosslyn chapel? meh.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
The_highwayman said:
i didnt laugh :/
Lol I can be really immature at times, so don't worry. I know his character was serious and blah blah Opus Dei this Opus Dei that, but I just COULD NOT keep a straight face when he was being so serious esp when he was talking to Remy in the car :rofl:

The_highwayman said:
i think he is meant to represent the types of catholics stuck in very old catholic ways but in a modern world. So i didnt really notice the BMW thing...
Again, I don't think so deeply sometimes esp. not for a film like this so re: my immaturity sometimes haha.

The_highwayman said:
Wasnt her brother still alive in the book too? i havent read it in ages but i thought she was raised by Sauniere and her broher raised by her grandmother near rosslyn chapel? meh.
Yeah, they changed the ending. Not sure why but I thought it was less effective. If you're gonna change her grandfather, at least give some time for the explanation. Geez. The book's ending was incredibly non-satisfying but reasonably plausible. The grandmother's little speech thing was ridiculous. I didn't understand the whole "Let's gather everyone around for a weird family reunion thing while Sophie is in the cellar..." :confused:

salsydney

HSC
i enjoyed the film... like others mentioned, the cinema was empty when i went to see it as well, though to be fair, was 4pm showing on a friday afternoon... i really loved the book, and i found the movie to be very true to the book (bar the ending as previously mentioned), and thus i enjoyed it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)