Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
It's all in your head.
Whatever. I can taste a difference and have a preference.

What's more, the way Tulipa conducted them was most likely not even a proper single-blind experiment. She probably had some clue as to what was what.
Cause you were there :rolleyes: I was given various shots and was told they were either the same vodka, two different vodkas or three different ones. I picked out which were which.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
So u had a 1 in 3 chance of being right? That's not that amazing statistically, but if you did it a few times it would start to be interesting. I think it's important that it's double blinded though, especially when you're doing this sorta thing with friends.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Enteebee said:
So u had a 1 in 3 chance of being right? That's not that amazing statistically, but if you did it a few times it would start to be interesting. I think it's important that it's double blinded though, especially when you're doing this sorta thing with friends.
I had five different shots with all three vodkas. I picked out which one was which each time. Smirnoff once and Grey Goose/Finlandia twice each.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Well that's pretty interesting, I'm open to the possibility that there's some sort of taste difference... but some other little experiments on the web: http://www.monzy.com/?p=238 seem to show otherwise. I think mythbusters found otherwise, but then again that was with professional taste testers, I think Kari for instance didn't pick it... so there might be a difference, but it's one that requires a clever tongue. I can't find much of a consensus out there...

I think it'd also be interesting to try it mixed, since that's how most of us drink it. I mean if cheap shit vodka gives me the same experience as expensive stuff mixed, then unless I'm planning on doing some shots why would I buy the expensive brand?

I guess we'll have to create our own little experiment this weekend, should be fun :)

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Mythbusters, yo.

The vodka expert could taste the difference.

Edit- apparently impurities add to hangovers? something like that.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
scarybunny said:
Mythbusters, yo.

The vodka expert could taste the difference.

Edit- apparently impurities add to hangovers? something like that.
Yeah but... that's an expert who perhaps can pick up on other things than taste, for the most part anyway I'm more interested in how the average person like myself experiences it.

As for hangovers, that'd be a different experiment... give one group at a party expensive vodka, one cheap stuff (to drink throughout the night) and I suppose you'd need a control group who don't even drink alcohol.

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I don't know about average joe.

Some people can't taste the difference between coke and pepsi. These people are weird.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
I can taste the difference between Smirnoff Red and Smirnoff Blue, and then between some Russian stuff and Smirnoff...the Russian stuff tastes a little cleaner. But then again, it's on subtle.
bring both to mine and I'll set up a test for you, I imagine quite a few people would be surprised.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Tulipa said:
Blind taste test Ashton ... Got all five of them right ...

Just saying is all.
It wasn't double blind and it says nothing of the drinks once they're mixed.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
JFK said:
Tell me what distinguishes them then. Tell me the qualities that set them apart.

I bet if I put 5 shots of the same vodka there and told you they were different you'd conjure up different sensations/flavours/aromas/brands for all of them...all in ya head.
The smell and the overall feeling as it goes down.

I picked the specific types of vodka Ashton - I didn't describe what they were.

Plus like I said, I don't really care. I drink what I like because it suits me. It's just funny to see you guys get so worked up over it.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
JFK said:
It's funny to see you pay exorbitant prices for infinitesimal differences, which you have conjured up in your mind, in a neutral spirit.
It's nice to enjoy a straight up vodka that I love and bought for the same price as Smirnoff in Hong Kong and the States.

;)

I just love the ALL CAPS OMG.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
JFK said:
Yeah I'm pov, hey...

^___^
I know rite. I'm gonna side with you though, it's like people that are all like "LOL ALL THE BEERS HAVE A HEWG TASTE DIFFERANZ SO I WILL BUY DIZ 1"

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I know rite. I'm gonna side with you though, it's like people that are all like "LOL ALL THE BEERS HAVE A HEWG TASTE DIFFERANZ SO I WILL BUY DIZ 1"
Well... there's a decent difference there imo.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Azamakumar said:
Everything on tap is pretty much the same.
Never thought about it, interesting now you mention it. Whereas drinking New at home is bit average, and I'll go anything else if I can afford it, it's all I drink at the pub, as the taste is substantially improved.

Must test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)