The Dumbest mistake u've ever made in a Maths Exam (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Aerath said:
Probably the dumbest Maths mistake was back in Year 6, when I was doing those Pre Uni "Selective Trial" thingos. From about Question 10, I screwed up, so for Question 10, I was circling question 11, and for Question 11, I was circling Question 12 etc etc. Got quite a shock when I got my results back. :D
"Pre-Uni".................in "Year 6".

Wow, they really seem to be starting you guys early these days.
Either that, or you're referring to "pre-high school". :)

Yamiyo

HSC
The mark I lost in my preliminary yearly: 5/3 = 1+1/3 :( I don't think I'll be forgetting this for a while.

I tend to do this a lot too:
y=x+3
-x+y+3=0

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

Same exam:
4 x 10 = 400 (half a mark)

13/3 instead of 4 & 1/3 (half a mark)

i got 59/60 for that exam..

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
13/3 IS 4 & 1/3 ...? Or is this from some year 6 Maths quiz where you had to express your answer as a mixed numeral?

Last edited:
P

Pimpcess.Snaz

Mark576 said:
13/3 IS 4 & 1/3 ...? Or is this from some year 6 Maths exam where you had to express your answer as a mixed numeral?
yeah its the stupidest thing.. my teachers are extremely strict with their marking... they always want the most simplest form..

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
hmmm....

"... as x approashes negative infinity y approaches negative 0..."

and

2x=1
x=2 :eek:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dwarven said:
hmmm....

"... as x approashes negative infinity y approaches negative 0..."

and

2x=1
x=2 :eek:
Funny thing is: I never make mistake when it comes to difficult questions. However, I make several mistakes when it comes to addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. Next time, I better be careful.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Funny thing is: I never make mistake when it comes to difficult questions. However, I make several mistakes when it comes to addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. Next time, I better be careful.
Same, its funny like that.

Also those simultanious equations like x2 + 4x + 1 = y & 4y + 2x + 3 = 0, they are easy as its just i fund sometimes i find the x values and forget to calculate the y values.

tii

HSC
i remember doing 3x4=7 once

but on my last assessment, i said that the range of a function was: 0 < x < 2
and right after i had just written the domain as well
and it was correct numbers and signs....

I WANTED TO DIE

m&ss2008

HSC
expressing an answer to 2 decimal places.

all the correct working for half a page

=3.41522...

=52 (2d.p)

wtf?!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
"Pre-Uni".................in "Year 6".

Wow, they really seem to be starting you guys early these days.
Either that, or you're referring to "pre-high school". :)
Nah, the coaching college was called "Pre-Uni" - haven't you ever heard of it? :D

Felix Jones

HSC
pfft dats nothing, in an exam they asked us to prove two triangles were similar from the diagram, and i managed to prove the wrong triangles, lost three marks there and one more mark bacuase it was related to the first part....in total lost 4 marks for idiotic careless mistake...ahgaghafgafhdfhashfdsadfjasghdfasj.

FirenBoi

HSC
N/A
In a maths tests I worked out most of the question, and wrote this for my answer:

2x = 2

Therefore

x =2

:bomb:

harryboyles

HSC
In my half-yearly just gone by, it had a question where so and so is paying off a loan every month with a given yearly interest rate, and after 25 years (300 months), the loan is paid off. What is the monthly repayments. Anyway, at first I made n = 25, forgetting to convert to months. I looked back and saw that I had forgotten to use months instead of years, and changed the figure accordingly. After the exam, I realised that while I had changed the number of terms involved, I hadn't changed the interest rate from p/a to p/m! :eek: To top it all off, it was one of those questions which stepped you through the process, and I'd written a note blaming the teacher on getting it wrong! Everybody knows that in 9 out of 10 cases, the exam paper is right and you are wrong. Sheesh!

catzhernandez

HSC
I've pretty much made every single mistake mentioned in this thread and them some. In all likelihood this trend of mine will probably continue unabated for the next year or so.

conics2008

HSC
Guys never ever make this mistake if it says show, make sure you show it.

One question said show that 2sin^2=1-Cos2x

I said When you expand this ( cos (x+x) ) you get this 2sin^2=1-cos2x.. try not to tell you're teacher to expand it, you should expand it you're self.. =)

HSC
FirenBoi said:
In a maths tests I worked out most of the question, and wrote this for my answer:

2x = 2

Therefore

x =2

:bomb:
lol!!!

-3/2 + 1 = -2/3

oh and:

dy/dx = 2x - 10
set dy/dx to 0.
0 = 2x - 10
2x = 5
then, to top it all off, underneath i wrote:
THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Last edited:

kevinant

HSC
solomarc20 said:
In an assessment task, I managed to simplify a question right down in algebra and then get the following answer

2+2=8

Is any1 able 2 top that?
1+1=16 in statatistics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)