• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The economist- paper (1 Viewer)

sivpr1

HSC
Hi
I am in yr 11, going to be in Yr 12 and was thinking of subscribing to the "ECONOMIST" so it can help me in HSC economics course..
so what dp you think about the paper or would you suggest another paper altogether.
Thanks

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You should read a variety of papers...

SMH ~ Gittens is probably the most straight forward to your average HSC student

Should give us more information i.e how much you 'get economic' concepts without lots of explaining etc

mreditor16

HSC
Hi
I am in yr 11, going to be in Yr 12 and was thinking of subscribing to the "ECONOMIST" so it can help me in HSC economics course..
so what dp you think about the paper or would you suggest another paper altogether.
Thanks
In my opinion, The Economist is a bit excessive for the purposes of HSC. All that is enough is something like subscribing to SMH Business section and monitoring stories and expert analysis (most eco teachers love ross gittins :D) and picking up any good examples or stats from these articles. :)

EDIT - Also, if I may add so, The Australian is quite good, but don't bother subscribing just for that. You might want to borrow a copy of it from your school once in a while, where your school should be getting a copy daily. But be careful as some of their commentators are perceived to be overly biased in their treatment of economic issues that involve politics. Also, The Australian is good to refer to the day after RBA announces its monetary policy changes (i.e. the dthe ay after first Tuesday of each month), as they provide an excellent annotation (with stats and examples) of the RBA statement. :)

Last edited:

Sherlock

HSC
N/A
Thomas Farmarkis, state ranker for Economics in 2010, said he subscribed to the Economist. Entirely up to you.

Iwillget9995

HSC
I've read the Economist since year 7... it won't be helpful. It's not really about economics in a way that's helpful to the HSC, more of a dicussion of world affairs. The most helpful thing by far is getting to know Monetary Policy Statements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)