The exam! (1 Viewer)

waza_

HSC
How did we all feel about it? Personally I think section 1 was really challenging but the essay was much easier than I thought it would be

And for some art students like me.....SCHOOLS OUT FOREVER!!!! =D

jamersonx

HSC
Overall, i thought it was an awesome exam. Yeah, section one seemed harder than expected, but was easy once you applied the appropriate frame to each question. Section two! God, i loved the postmodern question, went so well with my Yayoi kusama/Yinka shonibare combo, ended up writing 12 pages for it.

wagga123

HSC
i thought i did well aswell
wrote 6 pages for section one and 5.5 pages for section 2
the only i was a bit worried was with section 1 a
it took me a while to realise it was a cultural frame question but eventually i got it

i did the subjective frame essay question
although i could of done post modern very easily i didn't really like the quote from that book

but yay, glad it is over

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I found the whole exam incredibly straightforward.

Section I was fairly easy once you thought about it. Part a) was pretty simple- talked about society fearing progression and change, the fallout of the industrial revolution and how that was conveyed in the photograph.

I struggled the most with b), didn't really know what to talk about beyond the fact that her procedure was dynamic because the artwork was the cultivation of documentation and spontaneous artistic vision.

I thought the last artwork was really clever, too. I loved how it said to 'interpret' what the artwork meant. Did you guys mention the other agencies- audience/world etc?

And hooray for the postmodernism question- it was literally PERFECT for 3 artists.

Overall a good, comfortable exam. Except for when bagpipes started playing in the last 10 minutes. Long story, Remembrance Day service interrupted our exam :S

Elle1919

HSC
I was overly impressed with this exam infact I would go so far as to say it was my best exam. I loved both sections although I am bummed that I forgot to talk about the audience in c of section one. I chose question 5 in section two the one that had the quote about people must be empowered to notice what there is to be noticed and about the world issues and raising awarness. I spoke about Stelarc, Piccinini and Viola.

Bites

HSC
Section 1 sucked. Essay question was cool. I did question 6

fallingstar

HSC
^ mmm i did ques 5 also.
my artists were John Wolseley and Shona Wilson... I talked about environmental issues mostly, and a bit about Aboriginal land rights for Wolseley.

I liked 1a and 1c. 1c was a bit iffy... didn't have mach to say about it but oh well! ITS ALL OVER!

cob95

HSC
Kinda hard if you ask me

Section 1 a i talked about how as we use will power and determination/manual labour to progress, im pretty sure i made it fit. B was fucked, i couldnt think of much but C was one of the best artworks ever, i interpreted it as an individuals life journey, we all start at one point and are solely identified by our DNA, but gradually develop and branch off on our own paths of life. I also said the shoes represented us walking down our separate paths. What did you guys write about?

Secrion 2 i did question 6, wrote 9 pages on Warhol and Polluck, fairly happy

Bites

HSC
CHANGING TECHNOLOGY
DOCUMENTED FORMS
"WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES" EVERYONES DIFFERENT

The questions sucked.
Trials were soooo much better.

Elle1919

HSC
Kinda hard if you ask me

Section 1 a i talked about how as we use will power and determination/manual labour to progress, im pretty sure i made it fit. B was fucked, i couldnt think of much but C was one of the best artworks ever, i interpreted it as an individuals life journey, we all start at one point and are solely identified by our DNA, but gradually develop and branch off on our own paths of life. I also said the shoes represented us walking down our separate paths. What did you guys write about?

Secrion 2 i did question 6, wrote 9 pages on Warhol and Polluck, fairly happy
I worte the same type of things about the shoes and the starting point and walking down serperate paths. I also made note that they were directed froward as a forward movement. I totally wrote the wrong thing when it came to the artworld agencies :(

HSC
yeah 1 c) i loved that question.
i talked about the shoes, and how like ww2...with the shoes how they had to take them off, and there would be random piles of shoes... who would have thought that a boring visit to the jewish musuem would have come in handy!
And then i talked about how there was only one shoe, and without the other shoe it is useless... kinda like the loss of identity of jewish people...
and then all these lone shoes were connected by a common goal, uniting them together to give them strength.
I thought that because of where it was exhibited and where the shoes were collected(warsow,etc) that this kinda worked with the whole holcouct theme.

It was a fair exam i think, for me(the artists i had) the section 2 questions werent amazingly fantastic, but they were ok!

thank goodness it is over! until friday(for textiles)

Last edited:

fuzzy09

HSC
Overall a good, comfortable exam. Except for when bagpipes started playing in the last 10 minutes. Long story, Remembrance Day service interrupted our exam :S
Consider yourself lucky my friend..

Throughout all the exams starting from the very first, business studies, the exams were continously interupted. Either someone was cutting the grass with that huge grass machine, or the dumb ass deputies were announcing messages to the whole school over the PA, or the IEC kids were screaming outside in their native languages, or year 7 was screaming whilst playing sport.

Fml.

LEEESHA

HSC
Overall I found the exam relatively easy, although the first section was the hardest I've come across in comparison with past papers. I didn't like the first question, but the other two were pretty straight forward.

I did question 5 for the essay referring to Melanie Pullen's artworks (which raised awareness of how violence and the obsession with mass media and fashion is becoming a conventional part of society) and Julie Rrap (who represented issues on genetic engineering and the advancing technological experimentation occuring).

mamoz

HSC
Overall, i found the exam to be alritee.. i thought that section 2 was wayy easier den section 1. section 1 was preety shocking except for c) .. a & b were lyk wtf! i started making up shit for the both of em and wen i re-read em i didnt even make sense but oh well, hope they get the idea im trynaa present.. section 2 i dnee question 5 =) dat was the one dat most fitted wiv my artists (technological changess) ..
section 1 - 5 pages
section 2 - 8 pages

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Uh I liked section 1. I think I did pretty good actually. Loved C in particular. Am totally going to visit Chiharu Shiota's site :D
Essay questions completely stumped me though. None of the ones for Practice worked with any of my artists (because one was about bodies of work, one was about critics and historians and the other one was how artists have been influenced by other artists, so groups basically, and we did none of that stuff)! :( That really pissed me off because from 2001 - 2008 there has been at least one question from Practice which I would have been able to do well but NONE of them worked this year. I almost had a panic attack in reading time.
I told myself ages that I wouldn't touch a Frames question with a twenty foot pole and then I ended up doing question 8 and wrote a 6 page essay on it. Oh God.
But I was talking with one of the art teachers after the exam and I told her how I tackled the question and what I wrote about and she said I would have written a good essay so here's hoping.
I just really don't want that band 6 to slip away because of one stupid essay. :( If I ever had a hope of getting a band 6 in the HSC it would have Visual Arts.

thatjayderig

HSC
i agree!!!!
i prepared for conceptual f/work and a question that would have to do with shocking the audience with mike parr and bill henson. but grrrrrrr these weren't in the exam so i ended up doing Q6.
overall, a pretty good paper. section 1 - a + b i loved those questions!!!

wooooooooooo its over.
p.s has anyone been informend about art express? or has anyones works not come back from marking (if sent away)

HSC
I just really don't want that band 6 to slip away because of one stupid essay. :( If I ever had a hope of getting a band 6 in the HSC it would have Visual Arts.
I totally agree! I am in the same boat. I tend to waffle way to much in the essay... lets hope that i didnt this time!

p.s has anyone been informend about art express? or has anyones works not come back from marking (if sent away)
Mine hasnt come back yet... has anyones?

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Mine hasnt come back yet... has anyones?
Ohh I was talking to an art teacher about this today and she said, ahem, "Tim's locked up in the library. I think he likes it there. He told me so" (Tim being one of my paintings, heh, and because our works were marked at school). She said I could come pick him up on the 20th I think.

I hope we both get band 6s :)

thatjayderig

HSC
if u didnt get nominated for art express u dnt get band 6
art exp is 45 over which = band 6
mine came back 2day along with the rest of them. my teacher said she doesnt know if anyones got in, but doesnt think so caus ethey all came back. who knowwwwwwwwwws

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)