The F1 Thread (17 Viewers)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
The old Hockenheim used to be good ... an engine killer!!!

V

vanbasten

What about the old Nurburgring - the Nordschleife. Arguably the best ever track in F1 history. 22 km (or something like that) of flat out racing. Much too dangerous for modern cars though.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
mmm, all great tracks..but a question from an original V8 supercar fan (n touring cars, but i was a lil young :p), one of the questions, which im sure u've all heard b4, but wot would u reckon about F1 round bathurst? considering an F5000 (i think) held the lap record for ages, n those international drivers find it tough, etc etc....

but, yeh...it will neva happen, but i'd reckon it'd b at least interesting, test the drivers of those ballistcally quick cars on a track that none have driven on b4...

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
it would be pretty hard, unless they re-surfaced the tracks and down graded some of the gradients on the climbs. the F1 cars are far too low to go down the top of mt panorama. plus the facilities at bathurst are quite shithouse compared to the F1 tracks.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
The government just spent millions of bucks upgrading bathurst ... which is good. But conrod would be aa great place to see f1 cars ... but places like skyline would so difficult ... i'd love to see f1 cars at bathurst.

But apparently bob carr won't let racing cars in nsw other than v8s :vcross:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
What about that track at Jerez - dont remember seeing cars race there but it comes up abit.

Anyone going to melbourne 2005 ? :D

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
i swear, the problem with motorsport is that the best all-round view is in front of a tv, so that generally emans at home or the like, but theres nothing like the atmosphere at the track, cant they compromise? like give every1 a mini-tv so we can watch the race when the cars r 2 kays away on the other side of the track, or sumhow make artificial atmosphere for home :p

meh, im jus a whinger

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I had to go to the blue mountains today for a uni excursion ... and i saw so many racing cars heading up to bathurst :(

i want to go next yr ... i'll see ... depends how much money i can save ... god only knows how much money i will spend there ... lol :p

V

vanbasten

Braad, at the Melbourne GP there are big screens virtually everywhere, so I will have to disagree with you on that.

Yes, I am going to the GP - Brabham Grandstand ( I have my tickets).

As for F1 at Bathurst - wouldn't work. Heres why:

1. Facilities suck. Despite all the changes and shit they've done, it still is insufficient for F1. Besides, there are much better facilitated tracks in Europe which they would use.

2. Track doesn't suit F1. While it provides some good v8 racing (v8's suck), the dynamics of the track aren't suitable. For example, the right-angled corners (1st and last corner - correct me if I'm wrong) are very much hated in F1. In the '80's, many of the North American grand prix tracks used these 90 degree corners (ie Detroit) and the drivers and fans hated them.

3. You may say "the '80's was a long time ago" but the fact is that today its alla bout money. Now think, why would Bernie Ecclestone take the this multi-billion dollar circus to a small hick town like Bathurst when he can take it established Metropoles such as Instanbul or Moscow.

V

vanbasten

I think they should use Paul Ricard as a race track. It is easily the most advanced track in the world in terms of facilities - each pit garage has its own kitchen, plasma tv screens, etc etc.

The corners can altered - so you can have corners like Tamburello (Monza), Portier (Monaco) and the Veedol (Nurburgring) on one track.

And check out those crazy coloured strips. They are the new age alternative to gravel traps. If a car was to spin or career of the track, these adhesive strips slow them down to a complete stop - much more effective then the gravel traps.

http://www.in.gr/auto/agwnistika/Middle/ae_Paul_Ricard_766_06.jpg

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
:eek:
Where abouts is the Paul Ricard track ?
Looks like a go-carting track actually. LOL

V

vanbasten

Its in France. Actually, next to it is one of the best karting tracks in the world.

V

vanbasten

A new Formula One team, Midland F1, will make its debut at the 2006 Australian Grand Prix, it was announced today. Behind the venture is the Midland Group, a privately-owned international trading and investment-holding organization registered in Guernsey but most active in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).

Interesting. I hope they sign Frentzen (cough).

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Interesting that they prosponed qualifying ... oh well ... i can see some bridgestone domiance ... can't believe that fisi was actually faster than baz at one stage ... lol :p

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
mmm coz of the "super typhoon" or whatever it is .. I hope the weather gets a bit better for sunday..
Youre right.. there are 5 Brigestones in the top 10

Prac2 results.

1 M Schumacher Ferrari B 1:45.388
2 Fisichella Sauber B 1:46.102
3 Raikkonen McLaren M 1:46.749
4 Barrichello Ferrari B 1:46.874
5 Coulthard McLaren M 1:48.033

6 Glock Jordan B 1:49.277
7 Heidfeld Jordan B 1:49.286
8 Sato B.A.R M 1:49.370
9 Davidson B.A.R M 1:49.598
10 Villeneuve Renault M 1:49.672
11 Alonso Renault M 1:49.712
12 R Schumacher Williams M 1:49.736
13 Montoya Williams M 1:50.060

14 Trulli Toyota M 1:50.386
15 Webber Jaguar M 1:50.666
16 Doornbos Jordan B 1:51.007
17 Klien Jaguar M 1:52.232
18 Leinders Minardi B 1:52.942
19 Bruni Minardi B 1:53.194
20 Button B.A.R M 1:53.482
21 Baumgartner Minardi B 1:55.205 OUT (Spin)
22 Massa Sauber B no time + +
23 Panis Toyota M no time + +
24 Wirdheim Jaguar M no time + +
25 Briscoe Toyota M no time + +

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
www.f1live.com said:
Teams spent most of the afternoon packing away their equipment in preparation for the typhoon, with radio masts being taken down and everything being stored in the garages. But Minardi team chief Paul Stoddart said: "The teams will survive I'm sure. We will batten down the hatches but lets hope the aftermath of the typhoon doesn't interfere with Sunday's race.
LOL, yeah, the race better still be going...
At least it aint a tsunami tho :p

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
dam wtf happened during qualifying?
why isnt kimi on pole? what a frikin joke...
dc's car looked fine... stupid scottish wuss... doesnt surprise me :p
and im starting to think monty on mclaren is a shit move... dc should stay!!

and elmo why does your practice list... have bold names?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
AHH ... the perfect podium ... but stupid channel 10 cut everything off!!! But its alright for Australian idol to constantly run late!!!

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
has bold coz he wants to show who he is impressed with :p

stupid chanel 10/director - ALWAYS cut the race up !!
Took a 4mins ad break and skipped from lap 29 to like, lap 21 !!!

And what about the incident b/w dc and RB - didnt at all see that! =O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)