The Football Thread (3 Viewers)

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
HeCtic said:
Thing is, I thought we actually looked quite good on the ball, but whenever we gace it away we looked very naive when trying to organise. Didn't help that Victory's counters were direct, slick and utilised their pacy players very well. Lucky that Archie couldn't finish otherwise it would've been an embaressing start for SFC.
I agree 100% ... I think I raised the same point a few posts back?

A lot of our defensive problems started when the previously reliable Ian Fyfe started off terribly. His passes went straight to Victory players and his ability to read the game seemed like it had flown out of the window.

He never recovered from his poor start, and neither did the rest of the defence.

I felt that we dominated through the centre of the park, and this was then transferred out wide with Packer especially making a number of incisive runs down the line. It was when we lost possession of the ball in the Melbourne half that we looked incredibly vulnerable on the counter attack. Thompson was too quick, too agile and too fleet of mind for Fyfe, and then later 19 year old Timpano (he almost cost us a goal with the worst attempted clearance ever!).

If I was Littbarski, I'd be worried about our defence, thanking Bolton that he is as good as he is, and planning hard for the next tough opponent.

Note to Littbarski: How about you NEVER let your defence try the offside trap again?!? It may have worked once last night, but it is going to bring us undone and make you look like an idiot!

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Originally, it was supposed to be a "one state - one team" approach. But miraculously, Newcaslte and Central Coast managed to get into the competition... this is after Wollongong made a bid but were rejected. And if it's not sinister that two teams an hour apart from each other and within 90 minutes of Sydney can manage to get their teams into the competition, then 'sinister' has lost all meaning.

Granted, FFA should have been firm enough to tell the Jets and the Mariners to piss off, and it seemed like they either didn't have the balls, or they badly needed the money which obviously came their way.
What do you propose? That we only have six clubs? that would make for an entertaining league. im sure it would be great to watch your team play every team five times a season

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Oh, and if rumours are true, I can't believe Littbarski turned down the chance to sign Alex Brosque. Seeing him play for the Joeys and Olyroos, I'd have to say he's my favourite Aussie player right now.

The Roar look very good too. Boleters for the League perhaps?

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
One of the main reasonz why Central Coast are in the league iz becauz the club iz backed by John Singleton, a friend of Frank Lowy.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
your definitly right about brosque- he is class. he'll make it in europe eventually. he kept westerlo in the top flight single handedly in belgium, and could have easily gone to a better club.

and queensland also look very good. im not going to call them by their nickname- i reckon its too gimmicky and really pisses me off. thats why i like sydney so much- they want to sell themselves as a quality product without being too gimmicky

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
LMF^^ said:
One of the main reasonz why Central Coast are in the league iz becauz the club iz backed by John Singleton, a friend of Frank Lowy.
nothing wrong wid that. we need all the rich backers we can get to start the league off. it wont become profitable for a few years yet

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
nothing wrong wid that. we need all the rich backers we can get to start the league off. it wont become profitable for a few years yet
Nothin wrong wit it of courz, just to state a reason fo why they're there in the league.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
DRAGONZ.....it is affecting the NSW Premier League in the sense that they haven't had to pay a dime for buying players. Sydney FC paid nothing for Sasho Petrovski when they signed him from Bankstown, as did Queensland when they got Chad Gibson. Furthermore, the A-League started on the premise that they would help State (primarily NSW) football - assistance which has yet to be seen - except trying to further force ethnicity out of football by influencing a NSW Premier League 12 team revamp, which see see big teams like Sydney United or Bonnyrigg White Eagles cease to exist.

I have absolutely no objection to the one team, one city approach, but for the reasons above - SoccerNSW is being stretched more than it has to be. Littbarski came in too late - Graham Arnold started a shitty transfer regime - but came out strong in the end. Big Aussie football names like Petrovski, Timpano, Ceccoli, Rudan and Zdrilic are awesome signings not to mention Iain Fyfe (an incredible find) and Ufuk Talay - I think the youngest ever player to score in an NSL Final (when he played for Marconi at 15 or 16). Despite this, I reckon they could have made better signings and attracted bigger Aussie names back if things such as the 20 man squad and salary cap were non-existent. For example, one of Australia's best youngsters, Spase Dilevski, is on a temporary contract with Queensland after playing for PSV and recently signing with Tottenham. What's to stop more players of Spase's calibre returning? (obviously the gay 20 man limit and cap - another reason to dislike the A-League's management).

But yes, Sydney FC made a huge mistake in not signing Brosque along with Carle, Veart, Pondeljak, Mrdja, Gumprecht, North.........However, it's good that the talent is spread among the teams rather than focused within one team.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Plus they have signed some of the best names Aussie football has to offer.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
LMF^^ said:
They have an excellent Stadium and secondary facilities, and junior participation rates in the area are enormous. I think they justify having their own team.

edit: sorta misread the post.

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
Not entirely true. They have an excellent Stadium and secondary facilities, and junior participation rates in the area are enormous. I think they justify having their own team.
I don't think that the criteria you mentioned alone can justify them havin a team there when Wollongong can arguably have the same. If Singleton waz to back Wollongong then I'm sure they're be there instead of Central Coast.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
there needs to be a reserves league. there are too many players in the club rosters who will only be warming benches all year. they need a game. i cant see US striker Salazar getting many games with Yorke, Zdrillic, Petroski all at the helm.

also, ive heard rumors that in a few years time a 2nd division will be implemeted, and a relegation/promotion system will see new clubs enter top flight. if the 2nd division doesnt work, state premier league club winners may fight for chance for promotion instead

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
A reserve grade should definitely be implemented as I know of many players in the Premier Youth League who'd rather start off in the A-League then go to Europe and fail.

As for the 2nd Division, I've heard rumours but nothing concrete. I was thinking the best would be to give it 4-7 years - giving the FFA enough time to help out State Premier League clubs and to obviously properly establish the A-League. That way, winners of State Leagues could have time to develop proper structures and funds to be able to play in a playoff sort of thing to determine promotion. However, 4-7 years is still short and before promotion/relegation should occur - more teams should be entered into the A-League - possibly existing State League clubs - and be given greater financial backing in order to stay afloat. But it's still early days.

What I have definitely read, is the prospect of a FA Cup style competition where you could see State League champions given the opportunity to play A-League clubs in a competitive sphere.

T

timbk2

i dont think there are enough games in a season to give the youngsters a go. With 20 players in the squad and no reserve teams, some arent gonna be seeing much football.

They should have an FA cup type competition in Aus. (Edit: Komit you beat me to it)

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Its an idea that has been put forward and should be implemented. But a big mistake is being made by not having a Reserve Grade. Another thing is the presence of the NZ Knights. They have to place in Australian football. I would like to see the prospect of a Northern Territory or Tasmanian team set up - spread Australian football around Australia and not New Zealand.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Im a Kiwi supporter (league, Union, Cricket) however I'm supporting Sydney FC this time around in Football. And I agree that NZ Knights are a waste of space, but its the only chance Oceania football can become competitive, even though they are probaly wooden spoon favourites.

Jimmy_B

HSC
copious said:
Game is in 3 weeks, plenty of time. Tickets are dirt cheap, no reason not to get A reserve at student prices!

Yeah but would we all be able to sit in the same area? I hear Bay23 is where the real awesome atmosphere was. I reckon we should try and get around there for the CCM game.

Jimmy_B

HSC
sydney's next home game is on the 16th against the Central coast. I think that's the one we're talking about. unless you were all talking about the solomons game this saturday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)