• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Football Thread (2 Viewers)

veridis

droog
HSC
Re: The Official A-League Thread.

sk1001 said:
I don't know, but it doesn't matter...

Average attendance (Over three seasons):

Melbourne - 22650
Queensland - 16067
Sydney FC - 16014
overall difference of 159 + open gates for sydney's first game = sydney higher real attendence

veridis

droog
HSC

sk1001 said:
I'm from Melbourne.

The 60,000 nubs there would have been enthralled at the sight of 8 goals, but at the end of the day, the defending from both teams was on par with state league. It was nothing but a gimmick. Beckham FC is nothing but a faded image for the 60,000 who turned up for one night only. I would have called it a success if Sydney FC had picked up 5000 members as a result, but I can't say they have. As for what positive press? How much of it actually had anything to do with Sydney FC?

They came to see Beckham, not LA Galaxy or Sydney FC.
blame that on SFC management and difficulty/impossibility of getting part season membership. massive opportunity lost.
as for the rest i kind of agree, it was all just for show, the defending was suspect for at least 4 of the goals, but there were 3 genuinely nice goals and even while criticising the defending as amateurish it was an exciting game to watch for anybody, not just the n00bs.
anyway i mainly brought up the galaxy game because blake said SFC games were too boring, he doesnt sound like one who appreciates good defending or the tension and excitement involved in a last minute 1-0 win(the newcastle game directly after the galaxy one). even though we had an 8-goal thriller, followed by a month averaging 5 goals a game, he still brings out the "too boring" excuse.

blakegman

HSC
N/A

veridis anyway i mainly brought up the galaxy game because blake said SFC games were too boring said:
don't get me wrong, there have been some epic games, they just are too few and far between at the moment. and i wouldnt say its great defending, rather pretty poor attack. The quality of crosses in the a-league is very poor imo.

williamc

HSC

lol watching A - League makes me feel like a good soccer player. its fucking terrible to watch.

Id go to the games for the atmosphere. gone to a coupel with the boys, have to be fucken drunk or its boring.

On the other hand, id get up at 3am to watch a liverpool - chelsea game.

Gay Captain

HSC

have you watched the last couple of Liverpool vs Chelsea games? :p

blakegman

HSC
N/A

Gay Captain said:
have you watched the last couple of Liverpool vs Chelsea games? :p
Fair point, they have been pretty dull, though thats more to do with coaching tactics then skill.

sk1001

HSC

williamc said:
lol watching A - League makes me feel like a good soccer player. its fucking terrible to watch.

Id go to the games for the atmosphere. gone to a coupel with the boys, have to be fucken drunk or its boring.

On the other hand, id get up at 3am to watch a liverpool - chelsea game.
Alright you hero, when's your debut?

And rofl at liverpool-chelsea. You would sound somewhat credible if you had chosen something involving Arsenal, clearly the most consistently exciting football team to watch, and not just in the EPL.

kenny.

HSC

lol @ williamc
u go to a match to watch the football, as well as supporting your team....wait... sydney dont hav any supporters, what was i thinking?

duh
:p

blakegman

HSC
N/A

sk1001 said:

And rofl at liverpool-chelsea. You would sound somewhat credible if you had chosen something involving Arsenal, clearly the most consistently exciting football team to watch, and not just in the EPL.
I think the point was more that hed go to greater lengths to watch a match between big english clubs, not so much a chelsea and liverpool match specifically. Even so, there have been great Chelsea v Liverpool games in the past few years, just not this year, so its not that stupid a comment.

sk1001

HSC

blakegman said:
I think the point was more that hed go to greater lengths to watch a match between big english clubs, not so much a chelsea and liverpool match specifically. Even so, there have been great Chelsea v Liverpool games in the past few years, just not this year, so its not that stupid a comment.
The A-League was never going to be on par with the EPL, that was clear from day one. But don't go around thrashing it when this country has been crying out for something like this for a long, long time. Five years ago, we were run by a bunch of mugs who wern't capable of operating a lemonade stand.

If you don't like it I don't care, but don't forget where we came from.

williamc

HSC

sk1001 said:
I played for NSW in indoor for the under 11's, and captained the team to a loss in the gf to ACT.

I also played Premier Youth league, Super Youth league in my younger years.

Choose cricket over soccer though when i was 13.

Oh but you obviously play 1st division park soccer you pro.

blakegman said:
^

Last edited:

veridis

droog
HSC

kenny. said:
lol @ williamc
u go to a match to watch the football, as well as supporting your team....wait... sydney dont hav any supporters, what was i thinking?

duh
:p
*yawn* 33,000 bitch

kenny.

HSC

^
lol heard of bandwangoners??

williamc said:
I played for NSW in indoor for the under 11's, and captained the team to a loss in the gf to ACT.

lol i played in the Super League here in Vic through my junior years...nothing worth writing home about, and definitely doesnt make me feel like a pro. but i guess its different for everyone =)

blakegman

HSC
N/A

sk1001 said:
The A-League was never going to be on par with the EPL, that was clear from day one. But don't go around thrashing it when this country has been crying out for something like this for a long, long time. Five years ago, we were run by a bunch of mugs who wern't capable of operating a lemonade stand.

If you don't like it I don't care, but don't forget where we came from.
Im not trashing the league, its been hugely successful and no doubt will continue to improve. I was just saying that the reason for lower crowd numbers is due to the bland style of play and lesser skills that the everyday soccer fan sees overseas. I

if a game isn't reasonably entertaining to watch, then i dont see the justifcation in paying to see it. but that is only my opinion, not a fact.

sk1001

HSC

williamc said:

^
Big deal. Played super league through juniors and currently playing in state leagues. You don't see my claiming to be able to play A-League though.

sk1001

HSC

blakegman said:
Im not trashing the league, its been hugely successful and no doubt will continue to improve. I was just saying that the reason for lower crowd numbers is due to the bland style of play and lesser skills that the everyday soccer fan sees overseas. I

if a game isn't reasonably entertaining to watch, then i dont see the justifcation in paying to see it. but that is only my opinion, not a fact.
Maybe to some, but your true football fan will see past the standard of football to support his local team. Why? Because he wants the game to grow in Australia.

blakegman

HSC
N/A

sk1001 said:
Big deal. Played super league through juniors and currently playing in state leagues. You don't see my claiming to be able to play A-League though.
Can't be any worse then Renaud or Santalab at Sydney FC

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

sk1001 said:
Maybe to some, but your true football fan will see past the standard of football to support his local team. Why? Because he wants the game to grow in Australia.
A real football fan attaches himself to a glory hunting bandwagon for a team based in a city he's never been to on the other side of the world

not that i haven't :eek:

EDIT:

The Guardian said:
The Guardian: Australia doesn't need Premier League circus
Guardian, The (London, England) - February 19, 2008

After watching Newcastle Jets beat the Queensland Roar in Sunday's highly entertaining play-off match for a place in the A-League's grand final, I find it hard to understand why Australia should seem so keen on hosting matches from the English Premier League. There was everything you might want from a sudden-death football match, with extra-time, all-out attacking, a stadium full of enthusiastic fans and five goals from a bunch of competent players, including a Brazilian and a Korean, whose salaries do not remove them from the experience of life as it is lived by those who pay to watch them. My advice to Aussie football fans would be to cherish what they've got.
:cool:

Last edited:

williamc

HSC

sk1001 said:
i never said i could play A -League.

I just said it is shit.

And any decent soccer player knows it.

That is all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)