The future of Sydney (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Didn't they do that at the 2000 Olympics, or was it the toilet water that got used for the gardens...anyway, something like that.
i'm pretty sure they did do it at the olympics, probably still do it now at homebush

they can do other simple things such as always having the toilets flush with less water, having the option of a half flush on top of that

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
iambored said:
i'm pretty sure they did do it at the olympics, probably still do it now at homebush

they can do other simple things such as always having the toilets flush with less water, having the option of a half flush on top of that
mmm...well it would a pretty stupid system to throw it away, and one would assume that they would keep people on to manage it...maybe.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The drought and associated water crisis is a small issue linked to the larger issue of a lack of planed developement on a nationwide scale. There are several areas of concern:

Water, immediate problem, droughts can't be prevented but they can be prepared for, restrictions should be permenant and harsher. Rebates should be greater and extened to cover over water saving things eg grey water toilets. More than 1/3 of New York drinks reprocessed sewerage this is not an expensive untried or 'new-fangled' technology and it's time we implemented it. In my area there is a town whose sewerage treatment plant pumps clean water into a creek which flows into a dirty river from which drinking water is drawn from and sterilised. I mean WTF? Is it just me or has someone been wearing the clever shorts?

Suburban Sprawl, put simply hasty land releases and rapidly springing up MacMansions are bad for many reasons beyond tehir inate ugliness (apologies to anyone unfortunate enough to live in one). They chew up farming and dairy land, they increase the ammount of water dumped in the ocean as storm water and not absorbed by the ground, their use of space is inefficient, we must build higher density. And the more radical end of increased density if we lived in ziggurats we could have yards the same size or bigger than what we have and density could be increased by 100% (Hey I was bored in Technical Drawing).

Immigration, we need a long term plan not a four yearly decision. We need a plan based on need not cheap politics *cough*. For a start we need to increase immigration especially skilled labour and younger immigrants. Immigrants should be given incentives to move to regional areas as this serves the dual purpose of propping up regional areas (and hence primary production capabilities) and it eases strain particularly Melbourne and Sydney.

Our infrastruture nationally, and in Sydney is pretty shit house. In Sydney public transport especially our rail network needs injections of capital to upgrade current services and to increase the networks size. Nationally our highways are poor especially along the eastern seaboard.

We need a long term plan agreed on by both sides of politics which sets immigration levels and implements long term solutions for current problems and projected problems.

malkin86

HSC
I'd like to see better, more flexible public transport (I'd especially like to see when the trains are cancelled being able to use your train pass on buses etc.)

With grey water, perhaps a mandatory water tank on the house, as well as the govt. rebate. All new dwellings to use grey water for toilets, with mains as backup.

Common areas, parks, so that a community feeling exists

Villas/stratas would be a necessary evil.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I'd like 2 see sydney siders not be so damn lazy and spare the water, unlike the few of us that actually do.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Suburban Sprawl, put simply hasty land releases and rapidly springing up MacMansions are bad for many reasons beyond tehir inate ugliness (apologies to anyone unfortunate enough to live in one). They chew up farming and dairy land, they increase the ammount of water dumped in the ocean as storm water and not absorbed by the ground, their use of space is inefficient, we must build higher density. And the more radical end of increased density if we lived in ziggurats we could have yards the same size or bigger than what we have and density could be increased by 100% (Hey I was bored in Technical Drawing).

Immigration, we need a long term plan not a four yearly decision. We need a plan based on need not cheap politics *cough*. For a start we need to increase immigration especially skilled labour and younger immigrants. Immigrants should be given incentives to move to regional areas as this serves the dual purpose of propping up regional areas (and hence primary production capabilities) and it eases strain particularly Melbourne and Sydney.
lol fucking dumbass

complains about suburban sprawl and says we need to live in high density housing

tells us we need to reduce water consumption

then tells us we need more immigration

then literally says that immigration is putting strain on sydney and melbourne??

ladies and gentlemen, this is the type of "smart" person that populates the public service, which tells you about everything that is wrong with this country

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
this country's going down the shitter which makes me sad but to be honest we deserve this for being a bunch of dumbasses complaining about congestion and housing availability and wages and jobs while demanding hundreds of thousands of immigrants and god knows how many foreign workers be allowed to come here every year

cosmo 2

the head cheese
HSC
only thing thats keeping the subcons out is our low vax rate

once we're at 80% scomos gonna pump us w 2 million subcons a year to make up for it

covid will keep mutating/evading vaccines so theyll bring some fukt variant back w them at some point

HSC
this country's going down the shitter which makes me sad but to be honest we deserve this for being a bunch of dumbasses complaining about congestion and housing availability and wages and jobs while demanding hundreds of thousands of immigrants and god knows how many foreign workers be allowed to come here every year
Exactly my view on this. They are expecting Australia's population to grow to 35.9 million by 2050 but it is only from immigrants coming in to the country (more than half of the nation would be composed of people who were not even born here)

The PM should place a limit on how many immigrants Australia takes a year. In September 2019 to September 2020, Australia's net overseas migration was 85,100.

Also foreign investment is also driving up our house prices. A lot of it is coming from China too.

enoilgam

HSC
I like how governments are worried about a lack of wage growth and jobs, yet during COVID without immigration the jobs market has become far more favourable for employees and wages are starting to show signs of growth (remember all the doom at the beginning about mass unemployment?). Immigration has been killing wages and the job market here for years. Dont get me wrong, Australia does need a degree of immigration to grow and develop and there are many jobs which Australian's wont do. But there are so many jobs where we have the people here, the issue is industry/governments don't want to do the hard yards in terms of training people and take the easy way out of hiring foreign workers.

The absolute pinnacle of this stupidity is in Medicine. There are so many kids out there who would kill to get into Med - like the demand to study the course is huge. Yet we bring in almost as many foreign doctors a year as we graduate Medical students. Like, I just find it so outrageous and morally bankrupt to think Australia cant be arsed training enough doctors domestically, yet we hire doctors from third world countries who need them far more than we do. Like seriously, lets take these doctors away from the subcontinent where they are treating the sick and poor so they can come out here and treat diabetic 60 year old bogans who wouldnt know a vegetable if it hit them in the face.

dighead

HSC
Naw I like living here in Australia. It's not crazy like America, not tiny like New Zealand, and not weird like some of Europe.
Lol I get the US, but why the hate on NZ? Safest country to be in if civilization goes south. It's basically just a more peaceful and less dense version of Aus, though that's probably due to the fact that they have more sheep than people.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol I get the US, but why the hate on NZ? Safest country to be in if civilization goes south. It's basically just a more peaceful and less dense version of Aus, though that's probably due to the fact that they have more sheep than people.
It takes a couple years to get to a supermarket from some places.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
And they're population is like 4 million. I feel like in my field there's probably not that many opportunities in new zealand. Obviously america would have the most opportunities but I don't know if I would want to live there. Australia is a pretty good middle ground.

cosmo 2

the head cheese
HSC
Naw I like living here in Australia. It's not crazy like America, not tiny like New Zealand, and not weird like some of Europe.
what do you mean by crazy like the u.s? what are you referring to? america's crime rate is massively exaggerated by foreigners, and most of that is because of certain minority populations that commit a disproportionate share of the crime there. one thought experiment i like to tell australians to demonstrate this is what if aboriginals were 13% of the pop here rather than 2% or whatever, imagine how much more crime australia would have if that were the case. you would get bashed just right after walking out of your house. for the most part, if you avoid the bad areas (like inner city detroit, east st louis, baltimore, etc.) of the u.s, the crime rate and overall danger level is no different from any other european western country or australia.

i think as of late australia has demonstrated more than anything to be an absolute nutso country, more so than america; our entire national character has been on display over the past 1.5 years. police state, insane aversion to risk, and not to mention absolute disregard for quality of life (for non-boomers) and realistically attainable housing markets.

with my savings, i could buy multiple houses in one street in many large american cities, or put them halfway towards buying a luxurious mansion - there is nowhere in australia i could ever do this, i couldn't even outright use them for a deposit in sydney/melbourne at the moment, let alone buy outright. if you seriously don't believe me compare properties on trulia in sunbelt cities like phoenix, dallas, etc (all of which are larger or as large as sydney/melbourne) for what you would get (or wouldn't get) in sydney and prepare to be flabberghasted - massive, beautiful houses that sell for half of what a one room shithole apartment in sydney would, that has structural building issues, flammable cladding and walls so thinly and poorly built you can hear your neighbours in the apartment over fucking. australians are so parochially convinced of how great their country is they don't realise just how much they're getting fucked over.

i'm more considering trying to move to the u.s every day, hell i've even considered moving to brazil, a country that actually has notably serious issues with crime.

nz is a shithole btw, it has all the issues australia does (ultra nanny police state, hyper unaffordable, zero job market) but it's even worse on all those counts and more, chuck in terrible weather that's as cold as the u.k but unlike in the u.k houses are built to passively withstand cold, while in NZ houses are as poorly insulated as they are in aus, meaning, not insulated at all, often colder inside than outside. living through winters therer can be a fucking nightmare for that reason, archie luxury summarises his experiences in auckland and he is dead on.

this is supposed to be the best city in nz; it's only the same size as adelaide roughly, as expensive on a price to income basis as sydney, and has weather as miserable as hobart. sums up nz pretty perfectly. i'd rather live in buenos aires or curitiba.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)