The Grass Factor (1 Viewer)

J-Wang

HSC
How important is the amount of grass on a University Campus to you when deciding which Uni to go to? For example, I would never go to UTS simply for the fact there is 0 grass and so it is an ugly campus. So, how important is it in assisting with University decisions?

deswa

HSC
Very unimportant to me haha- I never even thought about it (though I've only considered UNSW and USyd and they both have grass so maybe that's why I haven't thought about it lol)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Very important.

In fact, as a UNSW Arts student, it is part of unspoken degree requirements that I lounge about on grass for at least an hour each week, every week during semester. Minutes where I am sipping coffee count double (so I can sip coffee for half an hour and fulfill that requirement), minutes where I am reciting poetry or lounging about with other people count treble and there are also clothes multipliers as well, for instance - John Lennon glasses give you a x1.25 time multiplier.

I can't imagine what those UTS Arts kids do with no grass :(

I cannot fathom to think what extramural degree requirements they could possibly have.

Long story short, I love my grass. A lot. And damn anyone who takes it away from me! I am feverishly passionate about grass and indeed, have deliberated for some time on whether I should buy some for my own personal use at home - so I may extend my Arts degree learning by partaking in activities at home, that so happen to be part of unspoken degree requirements.

UpAndAtThem

HSC
Very important.

In fact, as a UNSW Arts student, it is part of unspoken degree requirements that I lounge about on grass for at least an hour each week, every week during semester. Minutes where I am sipping coffee count double (so I can sip coffee for half an hour and fulfill that requirement), minutes where I am reciting poetry or lounging about with other people count treble and there are also clothes multipliers as well, for instance - John Lennon glasses give you a x1.25 time multiplier.

I cannot fathom to think what extramural degree requirements they could possibly have.

Long story short, I love my grass. A lot. And damn anyone who takes it away from me! I am feverishly passionate about grass and indeed, have deliberated for some time on whether I should buy some for my own personal use at home - so I may extend my Arts degree learning by partaking in activities at home, that so happen to be part of unspoken degree requirements.
You should start writing books... wow.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I would never go to a university with grass. Grass is an invention of the devil, sent down to conceal God's beautiful earth and stifle man's architectural creativity.

Bells88

HSC
It's actually quite important for me too! Because I'm intent on going to Sydney somewhere to uni, as a regional student, I find one of the first things I miss is nature, so however artificial it is, I actually do love grass :) And that is why UTS doesn't really rank in my preferences either. I mean obviously other factors such as the quality of the uni, employment chances etc all factor in, but I do make sure the campus has grass (or at least a nearby park)!

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
agreed, UTS is a horrlble uni because it has no grass.

therefore study at usyd.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Sandstone buildings > Grass

But they're very close none the less. Walking through those high, cut stone corridors and basking in dat scholarly feel is extremely important.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That has too much grass though.

You want a campus that has enough grass so that you're happy, but not so much grass that the maintenance team is spending little time on a lovely patch of grass you like lounging on.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Are you sure we're talking about the same kind of grass?

nifkeh

HSC
UTS only have grass when you go through the back of building 2's automatic doors or whatever it is called

they use to have trees but now they're all gone

ahdil33

HSC
How important is the amount of grass on a University Campus to you when deciding which Uni to go to? For example, I would never go to UTS simply for the fact there is 0 grass and so it is an ugly campus. So, how important is it in assisting with University decisions?
This is a legitimate criterion on which to base your university selection. Would never go to a uni without grass.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Genuine concern if you are doing Arts, i think most them hang around the DAB building - it has a bunch of random hanging out spots inside and outside. But as for engineering... We spend all our time at the bar/pub anyway so don't even notice the lack of grass.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Very important.

As a proper arts student, I find the physical presence of grass merely a by-product of the greater art student focus. That is, of course, beauty. Grass is nice in and of itself, but what if one has to view terrible, terrible buildings while sitting on said grass? No-one spends their grass time looking down, it's all about the view. The UNSW position on this can be surmised in the thought of - Would you rather live in a beautiful house and spend your days looking at an ugly one, or would you rather live in an ugly house and look at a beautiful one? Well USyd doesn't have that dilemma. You can lounge on grass, shaded or unshaded, and spend your time enjoying the view of gothic sandstone architecture, fountains, trees, sporting events, playing 'spot the hipster', or just reading a book in the sunlight.

Alternately, arts students spend a lot of time drinking (both coffee and alcohol), and with cute beergardens, you can drink AND spend time on grass. Now isn't that a recipe for #winning@lyf

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
As a proper arts student, I find the physical presence of grass merely a by-product of the greater art student focus. That is, of course, beauty. Grass is nice in and of itself, but what if one has to view terrible, terrible buildings while sitting on said grass? No-one spends their grass time looking down, it's all about the view. The UNSW position on this can be surmised in the thought of - Would you rather live in a beautiful house and spend your days looking at an ugly one, or would you rather live in an ugly house and look at a beautiful one? Well USyd doesn't have that dilemma. You can lounge on grass, shaded or unshaded, and spend your time enjoying the view of gothic sandstone architecture, fountains, trees, sporting events, playing 'spot the hipster', or just reading a book in the sunlight.

Alternately, arts students spend a lot of time drinking (both coffee and alcohol), and with cute beergardens, you can drink AND spend time on grass. Now isn't that a recipe for #winning@lyf
/Thread

Everybody pack up and go home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)