The Greatest Book Ever Written (1 Viewer)

What kind of book do you read?

• Total voters

somechick

HSC
N/A
classics_chic said:
Herodotos, The Histories: I just keep reading it, it's brilliant! How do you come from epic poetry and myth to form history, an essential form of study? I think Herodotos is the greatest writer of all time!
omg please tell me you're joking.
Herodotus was the worst half hour of my life. Not only being a complete bozo who wrote biased interpretations, he is boring as.
And besides, Plutarch is better. :p

Lorie

HSC
guys i think u have forgotten the classic...............there's a hippopotamus on my roof eating cake.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Zarathustra said:
Nietzsche is such a great writer and I'm sure that I can only understand a small proportion of his ideas - if I could u nderstand all of his ideas he would seem even greater. I would've put your quote to replace Mr EaZy (aka 'moron') but with the new forum there's a maximum of 500 characters...

Do you ever worry about what meaning you loose in translation when reading Nietzsche?

I get into a lot of physics and philosophy books but I don't mind a bit of trashy/non-trashy fiction every now and then.

Darth Figgy

Angel of Music
HSC
The Harry Potter books - it's so great to read

'The Phantom of the Opera' by Gaston Leroux - beautiful and tragic story

'The Poet' by Michael Connelly - just plain creepy

'Angels and Demons' by Dan Brown

'Jane Eyre' by Charlotte Bronte

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Necessary Illusions - Noam Chomsky

A profound, significant and devestating critique of the media, the state and the corporate world, how they relate to eachother, its effects and its goals. The content is incredibly weighty and surreal, yet Chomsky manages to make it seem as if the ideas he presents are the most basic of facts, leaving you wondering why you didn't notice it yourself.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I'm addicted to "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Brave New World"- I fell for it in Advanced English in HSC year.... sigh...

Then there are cute books like "Lifes too Short for Tantric Sex" and "The Cynics Dictionary", which arent really 'books' as much as coffee table books.

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
Yeah Catch-22 is brilliant!
I also don't think you can go past HP and the Tomorrow Series for teens/younger readers.
And a picture book... the Red Tree by Shaun Tan. He rocks.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger is my favourite book of all time. Makes me feel happy for some strange reason- gives me a laugh. Also written by him is "Franny and Zooey" another favourite... I recommend it to all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)