The Greatest Book Ever Written (1 Viewer)

What kind of book do you read?

• Total voters

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
I like American literature. In English at UNSW its pretty unpopular not to like canonical British authors, but most of my favourite authors are American (Salinger, Heller, Bret Easton Ellis, Hunter S. Thompson).

My greatest book though ...

Probably "Wide Sargasso Sea" by Jean Rhys.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
"The God of Small Things" - Arundhati Roy

"Soul Mountain" - name on sig :p

edit: all of tolkeins' works

rific

HSC
My current "favourite of all time" is Machiavelli's The Prince, but that's probably because I've only just finished it...

Also John le Carre - Our Game and
Wilbur Smith - The Sound of Thunder

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
rific said:
My current "favourite of all time" is Machiavelli's The Prince, but that's probably because I've only just finished it...

Also John le Carre - Our Game and
Wilbur Smith - The Sound of Thunder
is the sound of thunder the philosophical one with dinosoaurs and time travel?

rific

HSC
dark_angel said:
is the sound of thunder the philosophical one with dinosoaurs and time travel?
Um, not quite. It's set around the time of the Boer War and follows the tale of a man and his family as the different pressures of the era are imposed upon them.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
rific said:
Um, not quite. It's set around the time of the Boer War and follows the tale of a man and his family as the different pressures of the era are imposed upon them.
ah ic, sorry i read a philosophically based story on metaphysics during the philosophy distinction course with the same title...

persephone

HSC
if we're talking about the greatest book ever written does that include the bible because i think that would be the greatest book. but lotr comes a close second. but i think i might have to do a bit more reading.

poodle

catch 22 and the catcher in the rye are both up there.....but clearly everything by george orwell is just amazing. i also like tandia and jessica by bryce courtney and if im getting into classics it has to be women in love by DH Lawrence or Virginia Woolf's Orlando. i love suetonius- the twelve caesars. oh and tess of the d'ubervilles....ill never finish

Zahri

Child of Canon
Floating past the Pillar of Storgé in the Mystic K
HSC
It depends on whether we're talking about greatest literary books or greatest comfort books.

If it's literary books, it has to be To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon, for me currently.

If it's for comfort, well... Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books always cheer me up, as does Harry Potter, anything Discworld, the Dark is Rising Sequence, L. E. Modesitt's Recluse books, anything Sean McMullen... and, yes, 1930's-1950's boarding school stories. Especially those written by Enid Blyton and Elinor Brent-Dyer.

stamos

sellout
HSC
persephone said:
if we're talking about the greatest book ever written does that include the bible because i think that would be the greatest book. but lotr comes a close second. but i think i might have to do a bit more reading.
that might be an idea

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
hahahahah
catch 22 is my favourite book, however i dont know if it is the greatest book ever written. paris hilton's latest effort is surely a tome worthy of contention

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Everyone knows its the Bible, thats why its called The Greatest Book Ever Written

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
poodle said:
catch 22 and the catcher in the rye are both up there.....but clearly everything by george orwell is just amazing. i also like tandia and jessica by bryce courtney and if im getting into classics it has to be women in love by DH Lawrence or Virginia Woolf's Orlando. i love suetonius- the twelve caesars. oh and tess of the d'ubervilles....ill never finish
I agree with your literary taste.

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
i really like 'catcher in the rye', i was familiar with the context, and the language was so easy to understand. the whole book just flowed well and i read it really quickly. the best book i've ever read is patrick suskind's 'perfume'. my favourite comfort books are lotr,the bartimaeus trilogy and hp!

HSC
i really like catcher in the rye. it doesn't actually have much point to it, but its something i never really get sick of.

nickichicki01

hmmm...
HSC
I really love the tommorow series by john marsden, jessica by bryce courtney
however im really getting into dan browns books, the da vinci code and angels and demons!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)