• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The hell of group work at uni (1 Viewer)

UsydLisa

HSC
Hey all, :wave: I found this entry on group work stereotypes at Sydney Spy I thought you guys might like. Hahaha it's so true.

I'm most definitely a Stupid Ideas Machine or a Jigger lol. Whatever, I hate group work. :burn: There's always some loser who drags the whole group down. Am I alone in seeing this? :haha:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
as if there won't be some loser that drags the team down in the workforce

Laika_

Banned
HSC
i drag my team down and dont contribute to group work

DTFM

HSC
i drag my team down and dont contribute to group work
So do I, it is pretty funny how I can get good marks with zero effort if I sit next to the smart kids.

jaimebien

HSC
I've been very lucky so far. Since I started uni, I have done group work 3 times--French, English and History. History was tough to organise since there were 7 people. But it was just a great vibe working with enthusiastic people. Even those quiet ones eventually took the lead of the excited people. I think what helped was that I personally made myself in charge of keeping people on point, which may be a little bossy, but people really appreciated that I would organise meetings and takes notes during meetings. You can't choose your group members most of the time, but at least making sure everything is organised means that the least amount of work is done. And also, make everyone swear that they will be present during the presentation.

Last edited:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I've been very lucky so far. Since I started uni, I have done group work 3 times--French, English and History. History was tough to organise since there were 7 people. But it was just a great vibe working with enthusiastic people. Even those quiet ones eventually took the lead of the excited people. I think what helped was that I personally made myself in charge of keeping people on point, which may be a little bossy, but people really appreciated that I would organise meetings and takes notes during meetings.
I doubt you've ever worked in a group with international students before.

jaimebien

HSC
tallkid34, lol, no I haven't. Not very many of them in the subjects I do, luckily or unluckily.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
for the fortunate reason =P

so far i've had really good groups =)

Tim035

HSC
I was in a group of 3 where we had to do ~ 7 page essay + 10 minute presentation (total). I volunteered to be the one that would ammend all 3 of our contributions to the essay in to the one document and write the introduction:

Day before its due- Can't get hold of any of them by phone, email nothing.

1am day its due- Still can't get hold of them, give up and go to bed

7am- I wake up check phone, email. One of the guys has sent me his contribution to the essay and says he'll create the power point in his 1 hour break prior to the class. Nothing from the other guy.

At that class- Neither of them turn up, I check my email and both have emailed me there parts of the essay and power point presentations but are apparently sick. I have to ammend it all together and write a intro in the class and then give the entire presentation myself. Fortunately the course coordinator took pity on me and I still received a decent mark, I've never seen the 2 guys since.

Ben1220

HSC
I don't particually like group work. In IT, 3 of us had to make a movie recommender system. Luckily my group was fairly good and wanted to do well, and we did do very well, but one of the guys did barely a thing, rarely turned up and still did well. Even though we did well its still a hassle, you have to deal with team politics and other people... I would prefer to have just done my own project.

Theres going to be another group project for Informatics 2, I'm not really looking foward to that, but I don't imagine there will be many more group projects for me after that, not with the theoretical computer science type subjects I'll be taking.

3rd year operations research subject will probably have group work as well... But by then everyone will hopefully be very professional about it...

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
I think the success of group work really depends on luck.

Once I was in a group with 3 massive nerds that involved a powerpoint and 2 minute speech. Although it was hard dividing our sections into 30sec blocks, we still managed to do well.

My next group work was with the only other girl in my class, and she was hopeless. I ended up doing the entire assignment because she had no idea what was going on, and wasn't even present on the day of our presentation. The next task we were meant to complete together I just did on my own, much to her horror.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I'm pretty lucky most of the time because I usually get grouped together with my friends. Even though some of them aren't great, I tend to get into a leadership role and boss them to do more work because we sit together in every class and during breaks.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
management, communication and leadership skills are becoming more valued.

just like in the Special Forces, say FOXHOUND, each team member's skills must be utilised efficiently to succeed.

the sniper who isnt quite the rescuer tranquilises the victim then the rescuer who isnt a good sniper is sent to drag the victim in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)