• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The horror of uni (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
izi said:
my worst momentS at uni are listening to anal private school students sitting in the front row asking the most irrelevant questions "what are the implications of *insert a concept that noone cares about, understands or will ever need to apply to real life situations*?", wasting everyones time during lectures, treating uni like its the HSC "is that examinable, is this examinable? can we have a syllabus?".
how i would LIKE to resolve this: i would love to just slap them silly
oh yeah, I hate those damn kids from private schools, or from somewhere like James Ruse who always ask about syllabi or something similar to rote learn off..

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
i hate those former-public school students with a fucking chip on their shoulder and who won't shut the fuck up about how unwise we private school students are, like they have soo much more life experience and know how to act appropriately in all situations, etc.

fucknuts

It's unlikely to be private school people who are asking questions in lectures. We are sitting up the back, failing in silence (remember, 'school spooon-fed' us, so we aren't going to be proactive about learning at uni :rolleyes: ). It's most likely a selective public school student, unlikely to be caucasian.

worst moment: the other day i remebered that i forgot to footnote a graph in an assignment i could get screwed for plagarism

BUT

I reckon i can argue my way out of it for a variety of reasons, so i'm almost looking forward to the confrontation now and i may be left feeling a little empty if they do nothing

although yes i would prefer that overall.

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Minai said:
I blame it on bullshit assessment weightings..I'm currently finishing an Accounting report that is worth 15%, which is crap because of all the damn hours put in to it...that, and the stupid multiple choice midsession was worth MORE at 20%
Earlier this semester, I had a fifty page Accounting report worth only 15%:vcross:!

izi said:
my worst momentS at uni are listening to anal private school students sitting in the front row asking the most irrelevant questions "what are the implications of *insert a concept that noone cares about, understands or will ever need to apply to real life situations*?", wasting everyones time during lectures, treating uni like its the HSC "is that examinable, is this examinable? can we have a syllabus?".
how i would LIKE to resolve this: i would love to just slap them silly
Haha, "can I have a syllabus", that is great:D! I have never witnessed it though:(.

golfstick said:
iworst moment: the other day i remebered that i forgot to footnote a graph in an assignment i could get screwed for plagarism

BUT

I reckon i can argue my way out of it for a variety of reasons, so i'm almost looking forward to the confrontation now and i may be left feeling a little empty if they do nothing

although yes i would prefer that overall.
Haha:D!

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Minai said:
I blame it on bullshit assessment weightings..I'm currently finishing an Accounting report that is worth 15%, which is crap because of all the damn hours put in to it...that, and the stupid multiple choice midsession was worth MORE at 20%
lol, yeah, multiple choice is the worst, so easy to slip up

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
my biggest mistake, so far, was having to write 'english' essays in introductory law... since 'english'-style marking is not trasnsparent at all...

oh, and management really sucks.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
lol, yeah, multiple choice is the worst, so easy to slip up
My final psych exams (both for last semester and this semester), each worth 60% of my grade, have been entirely multiple choice (180 mc questions in 3 hrs)
:eek:

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
so what you are all telling me is that im screwed, and that uni will be worse than the hsc dragged out over a period of years?

i wanna dodge things here people

mack

Banned
HSC
I hear different things from different people-Some say its a breeze compared to the HSC, others say its like the HSC to the power of ten. I dont know what to believe.

omg_a

HSC
^ i know!! my sister tells me its fifty thousand times worse than the hsc (though she does med and tends to exaggerate a little). maybe it just depends what you do/if you like it /therfore are good at it/dont mind being sleep deprived.

excellent

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I would say it very much depends on what degree you do. In my opinion, if you just want to get passes/get by, you will find it easier than the HSC. If, however, you want to do well, you might find it a bit harder than the HSC (definitely not twice as hard). Again this is just my opinion:).

mack

Banned
HSC
So, say you blitz the HSC, get the degree you want, and only need passes to survive, itll be easy....But if youre planning a massive transfer and need a HD average to get it, itll be like the HSC again, that sort of thing?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
mack said:
So, say you blitz the HSC, get the degree you want, and only need passes to survive, itll be easy....But if youre planning a massive transfer and need a HD average to get it, itll be like the HSC again, that sort of thing?
That is what I have found anyway, in my experience of Business/Commerce/Economics/Finance courses. A fair bit of the course content is repeated at University if you did the subject in Year 12. I believe a degree like Engineering is a lot different (and harder) though:).

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Merethrond said:
That is what I have found anyway, in my experience of Business/Commerce/Economics/Finance courses. A fair bit of the course content is repeated at University if you did the subject in Year 12. I believe a degree like Engineering is a lot different (and harder) though:).
1/2 my maths course was 4unit stuff, physics was kinda similar, management would have been similar if I did the related course in HSC, compsci was also similar to SDD

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
1/2 my maths course was 4unit stuff, physics was kinda similar, management would have been similar if I did the related course in HSC, compsci was also similar to SDD
Well there you go:).

Lundy

Banned
HSC
mack said:
I hear different things from different people-Some say its a breeze compared to the HSC, others say its like the HSC to the power of ten. I dont know what to believe.
Well I would say that uni is better than school, yet the uni workload is larger than the hsc workload. However I find there's not nearly as much stress (cos, you know, you're already in uni), unless you're after a hd average or want to transfer.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
santaslayer said:
Also, don't think that you've finished the HSC after all this. At uni, it's like the HSC all over again....twice in a year....crammed into a mere 13 weeks...:(

that is SO true..

and for the next 3-4 years. argh.

it also doesn't help if you have a tendency to procrastinate :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)