The horror of uni (1 Viewer)

Leap

free falling
HSC
santaslayer said:
Also, don't think that you've finished the HSC after all this. At uni, it's like the HSC all over again....twice in a year....crammed into a mere 13 weeks...:(
Thats so true - I have 9 assignments due over the next 3 weeks, plus a practical exam. Then straight after that, 1 week of stuvac and 5 more exams. :(

But my worst moment would have to be last week, in a tute we had to make a wrist-hand orthosis and me and my friend just couldn't get it right and were getting extremely frustrated about it - and the tutor wouldn't even help. Now we have to make one for an assignment and I'm still completely hopeless at it.

And yeah, Anatomy an absolute bitch of a subject, I don't think I've ever rote-learned such a huge amount of complicated information in such a small amount of time. If I have to repeat it I will cry.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
urban-angel said:
omg, you guys are scaring me.
The worst thing you can do at uni is excel at it.

If you excel at uni then the people will sacrifice you to the uni gods. I'm being serious, I saw it happen, tried to stop it, but the uni gods attacked me. I had to rely on my wits to fight them, but I could only fight them until there was an opening to run.

I'm excelling at uni now so I can have another shot at the evil uni gods. I'll take them down this time. Nobody is sacrificing me... we'll sacrifice the uni gods! :D

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
poloktim said:
The worst thing you can do at uni is excel at it.

If you excel at uni then the people will sacrifice you to the uni gods. I'm being serious, I saw it happen, tried to stop it, but the uni gods attacked me. I had to rely on my wits to fight them, but I could only fight them until there was an opening to run.

I'm excelling at uni now so I can have another shot at the evil uni gods. I'll take them down this time. Nobody is sacrificing me... we'll sacrifice the uni gods! :D

i didn't understand one bit of that......

who are these uni gods?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
You just learn to deal after a while
like with the HSC, I look back now and go "how pathetic was that", because theres more pressure now than back then, but over time you adjust

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Minai said:
You just learn to deal after a while
like with the HSC, I look back now and go "how pathetic was that", because theres more pressure now than back then, but over time you adjust
I think the opposite.

The HSC was harder, you weren't just aiming for, you needed good results, you were competing. At uni it's not about who is better at the subject, who can get the higher marks, it's about meeting the requirements to get your degree. Sure a lot of people (myself included) work their arses off to attain high marks, and those with scholarships don't have a choice (as well of those on Minimum Rate of Progress), the thing is, all you need is a mark of fifty in all your subjects. You can even have a mark of forty-five in some (but not many, there are rules about the amount of PC grades people can get).

It's true that there's a formal examination period at the end of every semester, but with normally three to five exams (mostly four), and the whole not competing to get into uni aspect, they're not that stressful.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Yeah what poloktim said. You don't stress yourself too bad, because you know that even if you simply get passes then you'll end up with the degree anyway.

I'm stressing because I'm trying to get credit average so I can do Honours. I know other people who are aiming for HDs cos they wanna transfer into Med and Law and stuff. It's kinda up to you I guess, but I think pigs_can_fly summed it up nicely when he said "It's like the HSC crammed into 6 months".

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
my course is definately harder than the HSC, mostly because theres so much pre work to be done before pracs - like our anatomy pracs you have to prepare for, and when you've got 3-4 in a week , it gets hard.
the volume of stuff to be learned for each exam is hard too, especially in anatomy, we have to know every artery and vein in the canine body, and thats just this semester. Last semester we had to know all the bones and muscles. Its all relevant, and its interesting, but still hard to cram in all at once.
i have to keep up a credit average for my scholarship, which is achievabe, but i cant slack off at all or its too hard to catch up--and i'm only first year!.

and in the holidays we have to do work experience, which puts a strain on the budget, becasue one cannot work in sydney and do work experience in western NSW at the same time....

Uni is hard, but u deal with it, and your friends help you through, coz its tough for everyone ( in my course at least)

hamsterMan

HSC
My worst moment was finishing an assignment in 1 night only to have the uni power go out and my work wasn't saved! arrgghhh

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
yeah everyone learns to take the pressure...the HSC was a cakewalk compared to what is demanded at uni...i certainly work harder now than i did in yr 12
The pressure and the expectations are alot different though.

In highschool you don't realise that there are alternative means of entry, and you sure as hell don't plan on doing a three year course just so you can do post-grad law later on down the track.

At uni if you fail you just repeat (and waste money!) :D

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
yeah everyone learns to take the pressure...the HSC was a cakewalk compared to what is demanded at uni...i certainly work harder now than i did in yr 12
how come ppl say life gets harder? i dun think it's *harder* as in physically-draining... i have more sleep and days-off now than i ever had in year 12, but the workload is bigger (but most of it is optional)...

ppl tell me 'work' in the 'real world' is harder than university, so it really makes me wonder... :rolleyes:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Frigid said:

ppl tell me 'work' in the 'real world' is harder than university, so it really makes me wonder... :rolleyes:
I can believe it (even though I'm still in year 12 :p). I worked as a nursery hand 9 - 5 from year 9 holidays to year 11. I was drained after a few weeks. Even though the work was rather demanding a 40 hour week, day in day out would be tough.

Though paper pushing? blegh..

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
natstar said:
Yes in high school u dont pay anything (oh sep if u go to a private school) but anyway, if u fail u dont have to always repeat and pay more money. At uni if u fail u gotta pay another couple of hundred bucks to take the again.
Nothing motivates like money, or the thought of loosing it :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Frigid said:

how come ppl say life gets harder? i dun think it's *harder* as in physically-draining... i have more sleep and days-off now than i ever had in year 12, but the workload is bigger (but most of it is optional)...

in the fields we'd like to work in, it certainly is tougher...its usually 9am-9pm work, and theres just so much more pressure to meet deadlines and get things done..procrastination apparently does not work (pardon the pun)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:

I wouldn't know the last time I got a full nights sleep.

+ driving 2hrs a day...Sydney people complain about how long they spend on public transport, but its no where near as difficult as actually physically driving yourself.

I think uni is a LOT harder, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Full night's sleep? At UTS when people have to finish their work they camp in the computer lab and sleep on the couches in the tower.

Sydney people only complain about the public transport because

a) we have public transport (and therefore the option)
b) driving yourself to uni in Sydney is just plain stupid*

So yeah...people who drive themselves are quite few (and they're usually superrich FOBs from Haymarket who can't read speak English but keep forking out their international student fees in the belief that surely they'll have to pass EVENTUALLY)^.

*petrol, traffic, parking (the unis all have expensive parking, even Macquarie which is nowhere)

^Obviously this doesn't describe all international students (or even all FOBs) - most of my international student friends get only their tuition fees from nightmarishly hard working parents, and cover all other expenses themselves. It's a hard life in a country that doesn't like foreign students (except when payment deadlines swing around).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)