THE HSC: GOOD or BAD? THE FINAL SAY. (1 Viewer)

The HSC: good or bad

• It wasn’t worth it at all. The HSC is stupid.

Votes: 26 7.4%
  • I can see why we do it, but the trouble just isn’t worth it. The HSC is flawed.

Votes: 117 33.3%
  • It was hard, but worth it just to finish. The HSC is tolerable.

Votes: 171 48.7%
  • I loved every bit of the HSC year. The HSC is good.

Votes: 37 10.5%

• Total voters

danz90

HSC
lyounamu said:
HSC is a bit of stupid system sometimes. Everything about your acadmics throughout your schooling life gets determiend by the very last year of it.

But if I look at it another way, it cannot be fairer than that....
True

And even more worse is... a final exam determines it all. If you bomb out on the exam (bad luck, not feeling well etc) , are ranked first by a large gap.. then you're screwed over.
This is one reason I was freaking out about the HSC exams for...

zxcvbee

HSC
N/A
danz90 said:
True

And even more worse is... a final exam determines it all. If you bomb out on the exam (bad luck, not feeling well etc) , are ranked first by a large gap.. then you're screwed over.
hey are you srs ! cos i think i bombed out in these exams due to the whole stress and that but ive got pretty good ranks and im hoping they will help me out a bit!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
zxcvbee said:
hey are you srs ! cos i think i bombed out in these exams due to the whole stress and that but ive got pretty good ranks and im hoping they will help me out a bit!
They will definitely help you but not to the extent that they will bring the marks up to the standards that you are expected to achieve from your own school rank.

zxcvbee

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
They will definitely help you but not to the extent that they will bring the marks up to the standards that you are expected to achieve from your own school rank.
i see. man i cant explain how ARR im going with these exams, ive never felt this way with any tests, i think the whole "this is it" thought got to me and totally screwed me over! i think dec 18th is gena be the scariest day of my life.. thanks btw

knots&crosses

HSC
danz90 said:
True

Do you mean ranked first by a large gap in internals or externals. Whats wrong with a large gap??

danz90

HSC
knots&crosses said:
Do you mean ranked first by a large gap in internals or externals. Whats wrong with a large gap??
Large gap in internals. What I mean is, if you are ranked first in a class with a large gap, it is highly likely that you will attain the highest exam mark in that class. So, if you bomb out in the HSC and get a mark of around 65, and that is still the highest mark (lets say), then that becomes both ur internal and external mark.
In other words, my HSC overall mark is determined greatly by my performance in the externals (in my situation anyway).
So even if I was averaging 90's all year, then I bombed out in the exams for some reason, then my hsc results would be crap because of the exam marks.

brad616

HSC
lyounamu said:
HSC is like a gambling...

The higher UAI you want, the more you need to sacrifice to stay on the game (e.g. time that you can spend with your family, mates)
YESSSS I COULDN'T AGREE MORE. DO YOU THINK ITS WORTH ALL THE SACRIFICES???

Which is more important having a close group of friends who you can trust and are true and will always be there for you or doing well in the HSC? I think they are both as important as each other thats what makes school and the HSC so challenging

morning storm

HSC
i find it interesting that after almost 100 votes that its really even

im going to guess though as time goes and people start getting drunk from both happiness and alcohol, that the trend will shift towards 'it was worth it'

meechfan

live.laugh.love
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay... if I were to judge the overall exam... I'm going to take a fairly neutral stance... not biased. There are pros and cons to the exam only, if you are going to look objectively right:

Pro: maintains the idea of a cohort that has the appropriate skills for the courses chosen

Con: too much emotional trauma associated with qualifying for a uni or TAFE course

Lol, I rest my case, so do any of u think that?

Last edited:

Razzah

HSC
English: Lol, what a joke of a course.

Physics + Chem: Also jokes, but to a lesser degree.

Everything Else: What you'd expect.

K.

homestretch

HSC
hsc...hmmm wot can 1 say 2 sumthin as varied as the hsc...there is no one single way 2 describe it-altho the psychological attrition is so far worse than the physical exams! (yes i did modern lol)

but i can say 1 thing...ur m8s; the 1s that forc u from ur room 2 play touch, take u out 2 lunch nd make u larf despite all the stress that cums from the hsc...thats the most important thing!

Regardless of wot i gt as a UAI, yr 12 has formed friendships that can neva be broken, nd just 4 their support nd luv, its sumthin that il neva 4gt!

cant wait 2 go on hols with them ova new yrs! o yeah nd ppl who cares bcoz...THE HSC IS OVA!!!!!!!

so lets celebrate...GET OFF THE COMPUTERS (ironic i no coz im on here 2! lol :) ) gt ur m8s 2getha nd make sum memories b4 'the real world' haha

yr 12...wot a yr ay! xoxo

brigittaaa

HSC
lolll interstin post ur so right i was thinkin hsc is such a waste but then again after lookin back at all the good times maybe it wasnt

stillwaters

HSC
yea, the hsc year just brings everyone closer in the end... you bond over the crappy amount of assessments you have to do, tlak to people you would probably never have thought to approach anyway cos they sit next to you in class, everyone's gotten over themselves and grown out of the year 8/9 phase of being idiots, the teachers are (generally) awesome because we're no longer those weiners in year seven :p
and doing the hsc, and getting through all the exams and assessments and stuff (doesn't matter what your uai is... unless you need it for law or medicine or something :p...) is kind of an ego boost in a really really masochistic sense because it shows what you're capable of (pulling all nighters and completeing those assignments you shouldve started as soon as you got them but didnt cos you were on msn or here:p)
i think the syllabus and hsc system itself is flawed... and it doesnt really have that much bearing upon the real world (well apart from getting you to uni if that's what you want to do)... i mean who needs to know about physical journeys or have an indepth critical knowledge of king lear or something?
but hsc year was awesome^^
that's my block of writing for the day :p now kinda have to go... study for art ><

Aaron.Judd

HSC
morning storm said:
i tried not to be biased in making the poll, to leave it for here..

obviously the HSC is something you just have to have, but atm, from my experience, it is riddled with flaws. in the end, you dont really have to learn anything the whole year besides some prepped essays. these exams have proven it.

further, in my experience, the system is riddled with inconsistencies. in so many areas it comes down to not how much you have worked, but what school you go to and what resources you have available to you, in the form of a rich aunty or a $3000 computer program.

i have seen too much cheating bitching and general underhandedness this year to have fully enjoyed it

that said, the experiences have certainly compensated for this to a large extent. i found, as long as you dont get totally caught up in marks and beating people, it is a mindblowing, amazing time

obligatory mention to how it challenges your limits. i would encourage anyone in year 11 to try to get some sought of leadership position. you will learn more from it than 1 unit religion thats for sure.
How is a 3K computer program going to help you???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)