• We have a few events lined up for the October school holidays!
    Watch this space...

The HSC is unfair because.... (1 Viewer)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
2,620
Location
London
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
ANY abo (or for the PC 'indigenous person') that wants to go to uni should be allowed in because they are grossly under-represented...but the fact they are willing to go is a good thing.
wtf...you're talking like aboriginals aren't people....
 

Hero Of Time

Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
35
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
The HSC is unfair because...

It doesn't reflect the true intelligence and talent of adolescents state wide.
 

Bobness

English / Law
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
1,664
Location
Sligo
Gender
Male
HSC
N/A
I thought he (blackfriday) was playing the devil's advocate.

Otherwise sarcasm :confused:
 

Anonymou5

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
270
Gender
Male
HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
Isn't giving them special advantage a form of racism towards them?
Do you honestly think they would care? I mean if someone gave me you 100k simply because you're male would you consider that to be sexist and reject the offer? :D
 

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
387
Location
Terrigal
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
^ I didn't read every word of that, but you did have a lot of good points in there :)
 
T

Testpilot

Guest
Spadijer, for you to have got such good marks in English your grasp of it leaves a lot to be desired.
 

jackal8

Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
74
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
hsc is fair because

it is a representation of the amount of effort you put in throughout your whoel schooling life

if you worked hard since year 1 you would have gotten 100 UAI

if you stuffed around along the way, probably less.

It is nto a measure of brains but brauns, i.e. your willpower throughout your schooling career.

Yes it differentiates over only one years worth of marks, however, that one year with is numerous assessments is a representation of the twelve years that have passed.


It is only unfair if external factors such as inappropriate school selection or peer pressure shit down your throat.

But that is really your/your parents fault.
 

Chris.

Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
538
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
spadijer said:
Exactly my point - the fact you see something as a 'text' and not a source of discursive, critical thinking shows the HSC has failed you! Damn you Derrida! Damn you!
so then i guess the HSC is unfair because it failed me :(
 

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
387
Location
Terrigal
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
jackal8 said:
hsc is fair because

it is a representation of the amount of effort you put in throughout your whoel schooling life

if you worked hard since year 1 you would have gotten 100 UAI

if you stuffed around along the way, probably less.

It is nto a measure of brains but brauns, i.e. your willpower throughout your schooling career.
I have to disagree with that.

First of all it's not a representation of the amount of effort you but in throughout your 13 years of schooling, nor how well you have always gone - it's a representation of the effort you put in over just 1 year. You can put in no effort throughout school but give it all in Year 12 and still come out with great marks in the end, just like you can have worked hard throughout school but then not do well in Year 12 because you don't put in that same effort.

Actually, it doesn't even accurately represent the effort one puts in. Somebody might put in a whole lot of effort but for reasons out of their control not do very well, just like someone might put in no effort but still come out with a 90 something UAI. For that same reason it doesn't measure willpower because there is no way of knowing what obstacles someone may have overcome just to make it to Yr 12 - even if they only recieve average marks.

jackal8 said:
Yes it differentiates over only one years worth of marks, however, that one year with is numerous assessments is a representation of the twelve years that have passed.
That's not entirely true either because anything can happen to a student in their final years of schooling that can affect their marks, regardless of how well they've done in the 12 years prior. So really the HSC can't be said to be an accurate representation of a student's abilities or results over their schooling career.

jackal8 said:
It is only unfair if external factors such as inappropriate school selection or peer pressure shit down your throat.

But that is really your/your parents fault.
There are so many external factors that can effect marks, and most of them can't be blamed on anyone - even school choice, because it might be the only school in the area that they could attend or afford.
 
Last edited:

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
387
Location
Terrigal
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
luscious-llama said:
The HSC is unfair because it made me eternally hungry :(
The HSC made you hungry to??
I find it amazing how much I ate during it! (good way to avoid stress, study etc) :p
 

ianc

physics is phun!
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
619
Location
on the train commuting to/from UNSW...
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
spadijer said:
Actually there was a purpose to that "here here" in that context (look at what the person wrote) as opposed to me using "hear hear". But as a science person you wouldn't understand that :p. Sorry. Moreover I now understand your Advanced English mark; the first four words have no logical form: "Just like how even if you got..." I refer you to Bertrand Russell's theory of descriptions; your propositions simply don't match up.
yeah i thought i'd probably lose that one :):)
 
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Messages
2,363
Location
Wollongong
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
spadijer said:
Actually there was a purpose to that "here here" in that context (look at what the person wrote) as opposed to me using "hear hear". But as a science person you wouldn't understand that :p. Sorry. Moreover I now understand your Advanced English mark; the first four words have no logical form: "Just like how even if you got..." I refer you to Bertrand Russell's theory of descriptions; your propositions simply don't match up.
If you werent doing philosophy at uni i'd say you have way too much time on your hands. :)
 

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
Joined
Nov 5, 2004
Messages
1,067
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
Sprinkles~ said:
The HSC made you hungry to??
I find it amazing how much I ate during it! (good way to avoid stress, study etc) :p
^_^ I totally effing agree with you.
The amount of food I ate.
Oh god,... I live on a mountain right?
Double that.
BAHAHAHA

:) It's good to fatten up before Uni, after all, Uni students are perpetually hungry ^_^
 

p342i

Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
64
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
spadijer said:
Here here to the above remarks.
Steven man; thanx for the myspace post - the Hegel passage was awesome.
We have to meet up soon before you head off to ANU; unless of course I can still convince you to come with me to Sydney

[dont give up home yet on the Arts (Advanced) (Honours) course: I still have faith that the UAI may be lower than you think]

Even then, USYD is comparable to ANU for philosophy; and you could always do a post-grad course in Canberra (as it is more of a research institution anyway)

Man, looking at your marks again: I have no idea how I beat you.
Anyway, our 98 club bears so much more prestige than the Asiatic 99s: so true that survey about 97-98 students in humanitites.

Like I said, we will win overall.

SS: SchutzStaffel : P
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top