the 'im screwed for modern' thread (1 Viewer)

mad444

HSC
just wondering if n e one else is screwed for modern

im burnt out and couldnt give a f*** bout hsc any more

just curious if anyone else feels the same!!!!

Picle

HSC
YEs Modern is a joke....so much to know....so little time in the exam.....run out of time during exam.....hand hurts after exam.....modern is lame....to right essays about...

jackal8

HSC
thankyou for boosting my confidence

=)

but seriously, its a few more friggen exams.. push through, it really does matter.

but who am i to say, im just doing this one exam ^_^

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
keep on soldiering people! it seems endless but just keep it up for one more exam (or maybe 2 more, but its the final stretch now) and you'll be done!

just think "I got this far. Might as well do a damn good job of it to end on a high"

Take a break for abit but just study methodically. Go through general past paper q's and see the topicsand the extent to which they expect you to have knowledge. Runthrough your notes and browse the textbook. Sit back and think it through slowly and you'll be set! dont give up now

bind

awww yay. inspiration.

i agree sarah. just keep it in perspective, you've spent the past year, working towards this time. just chill out. put some good music on and re-focus yourself. a bit of hard work now could prove to pay off for you in the future.

good luck hscool people.

cate_7x

HSC
I'm dead. I just had ancient today and have really not organised studying both histories well...

=slade=

HSC
yea i only just started studying for modern an hour ago...but i have 12 units, so its not counting for me. scared of facing my teacher if i walk out thou!! hence my small studying...ah well its over soon!

HSC
i dont get modern. it seems to be the hardest subject out out of all of them. for the cold war, for example, how ae you supposed to condense a whole term/semester's work into one 30mark essay? it just seems too hard.
and the questions they could ask can cover any timeperiod within what you are studying.
how do u kno what to study for?
modern is my hardest subject. if i don't do well in it i think i might cry. :(

kezryn

HSC
i know im so over modern, i need to study for it, but it is my last exam and i am not studying im starting not too car anymore, so damn ova it

mad444

HSC
im glad im not the only one!!! thanx guys im feelin beta already!!!!!!

lets all be ova modern together!!1

metalmulisha

HSC
Ah Modern makes me sick.
It's such a waste of time learning every little bit of the syllabus and then on the day they only ask you something about one little part.
Stupid.
And next year they're omitting huge parts of the syllabus we have.
Damn doing HSC at the wrong time.

metalmulisha

HSC
Everytime I try to study Modern nothing sticks in my head, so I'm gonna end up sitting there for hours not knowing what to write, and not wanting to leave early.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
dont worry about the "not sticking" thing. It's history. Every useless fact links to another. Get the idea/concept/gist going and you just gotta have stamina to blab about it whilst not going off track. when all the content boils down, that's all it really is

*caramel adele* said:
i dont get modern. it seems to be the hardest subject out out of all of them. for the cold war, for example, how ae you supposed to condense a whole term/semester's work into one 30mark essay? it just seems too hard.
and the questions they could ask can cover any timeperiod within what you are studying.
how do u kno what to study for?
modern is my hardest subject. if i don't do well in it i think i might cry. :(
i think there are three reasons why they are making you (and me, previously) study craploads of narrative history

1. you got a HSC yr to fill. Let's torture them...
2. You really have to understand a large section of the period in order to place individual events and situations in proper context.
3. they need to have a large set of topics/concepts/events to examine you on!! Haha

now, the only part you should focus on in those 3 things are obviously 2 and 3. Nobody expects you to be able to recite the Cold War topic in your textbook off by heart.. If anything, they DONT want you to do that. Briefly read through that topic. You should be at the very least familiar with the topic. Try to see the big picture of what's going on.

LOOK at the past q's for your topic/elective. No, you wont get the same q's. Yes, they can be predictable but it will SHOW you how they strcture their questions. We can't unpick what they will examine in 2005, but you CAN grab the gist of what they want from you in general. In the conflict studies, the general overview of a q would be to examine you on, say, an individual event and link to the developing wider conflict emerging in the region. This is one example.
Now, you don't go off running and study tiny events. The question to ask yourself is: Have I read enough overall to really UNDERSTAND the conflict as a whole? If that is all set then you just need to consolidate knowledge and when you are in the exam, you will understand enough to be able to tie it into an essay.

I'm at the end of this spiel and reading over what I said above, I'm not very clear am I? Lol. Sorry. BAsically, what I am trying to say is to focus on getting your head around the topic. Reading and memorising make seem more effective but I think by this point, you should be reaosnably familiar with the topic. It's more effective to comprehend what you are studying by thinking it through.

Last edited:

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I've been on a 2 week break and I still have 3 exams to go (..motivation :(), modern is hardest to study for as well due to all the possibilities, but just keep thinking you've worked all year for this :p

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I think a problem with Modern is definitely the content volume but also of students walking into the exam thoroughly unconfident with their knowledge. Perhaps, for some, it's true. They havent studied enough etc but it doesnt help to feel like that. Make the best of what you've got, I guess. Cos thinking you dont know enough (whether you do or dont) will make you panic and is not the right mindset to write a good essay. I know I was a basket case before the exam practically and I tend to get carried away with ridiculous thoughts like "I know nothing!!" Friend: "You can't know NOTHING!" Me: "No, seriously! I can't remember when Hitler came to power or anything! *freak out*"

Ha...maybe it's just me being psycho...anyway, if anyone can relate, then this post might be of some use. Just......calm down LOL

=slade=

HSC
sarah168, what was your final modern mark and rank, if u dont mind me asking? just for a confidence booster - that u were freaking out and still survived?!

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the advice sarah168, you're actually slightly de-stressing me. I hate Modern and i hate the fact that i have another exam on the same day as well. But yeh, thanks for the motivation/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)