The Inauguration of President Obama (1 Viewer)

Mumma

HSC
Re: The Inguration of President Obama

Knowing me i'll be flipping between cnn/bbc/sky/abc/nine.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC

Probably discussed in other threads, but what do you guys think of him? I know the general consensus is that he is the best thing since sliced bread, but I am not so sure. Of course he was better than the alternative (both Bush and McCain/Palin), but I want to see what he does first.

I fear he could just be a black, more powerful version of Kevin Rudd - great at populist policy and soundbites, but does absolutely nothing in power even with a mandate for reform. Good luck to him though, he has united America if nothing else.
I share the same sentiments except for the McCain/Palin line.

HSC

Probably discussed in other threads, but what do you guys think of him? I know the general consensus is that he is the best thing since sliced bread, but I am not so sure. Of course he was better than the alternative (both Bush and McCain/Palin), but I want to see what he does first.

I fear he could just be a black, more powerful version of Kevin Rudd - great at populist policy and soundbites, but does absolutely nothing in power even with a mandate for reform. Good luck to him though, he has united America if nothing else.
he's not a solution to all of america's problems, probably better than having bush or mccain in charge though. so far, he seems OK but i'm going to wait to see if he has anything behind his slogans, buzz words and the whole "i'm black" pull, then i can make a more accurate judgement. i definitely agree that he seems similar to rudd, but here's hoping he has substance.

Gerald10

HSC

CNN people!! Would be much better than sky.

I also think that they have a live webcast.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

New signature in lieu of said event.

HSC

Yeah I am... but that's because I love istening to awe-inspiring speeches..

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

He was better than Palin, not better than McCain

Agreed. Palin and the general state of the Republican Party were the main reasons I couldn't support the McCain campaign.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

Where do the Republican party turn to from here though? McCain is unlikely to run in four years you would suggest, and Palin is damaged goods.

I have no doubt Obama won because of the Anyone But Bush mentality - and the Democrats successfully managed to associate McCain with Bush.

HSC

Where do the Republican party turn to from here though? McCain is unlikely to run in four years you would suggest, and Palin is damaged goods.

I have no doubt Obama won because of the Anyone But Bush mentality - and the Democrats successfully managed to associate McCain with Bush.
who knows. they are definitely on the outs right now and their party needs major rebuilding. gonna be hard for them to dissociate themselves from the stereotypical draconian conservative image. you never know what they're gonna do

... they could choose palin again. lol

King.BBjames

Banned
HSC

lets face it, the religious right fucked over any hopes of McCain becoming president.

unni91

HSC

no.1 Kevin Rudd and barrack Obama should not be compared considering obama is more literate and educated. + kevin and barrack have nothing in common also baracks team is much more centralist and neutral than kevin rudds labor government

no.2 Since he was the only good option for america and the world, then we have no other choice other than being optimistic about his skills in handling his tasks ahead.

no 3 comparing bush and Howard, Howarddefinitely did a better job than bush therefore if obama continued what bush started then the whole world is going to collapse. While if Kevin Rudd did not change much then it is not as much of a problem. therefore barrack does not have a choice he has to bring change to america

no 4 Promising the country that america is pulling troops of iraq and focusing more on afghanistan etc is something that has to be done and cannot be just said.

no.5 his many preperations for transformation and starting presidency not only shows hes gonna talk the talk he is also going to walk the walk.

No.6 we can look at the rise of his campaign for presidency as a sign of things to come. :uhhuh:

HSC

no.1 Kevin Rudd and barrack Obama should not be compared considering obama is more literate and educated. + kevin and barrack have nothing in common also baracks team is much more centralist and neutral than kevin rudds labor government
rudd's government is left of centre in name only, and whether obama is more "literate and educated" has nothing to do with similarities in their campaigns and proposed policies.

mckensara

HSC

Both spend a long period of time in the study of difficult subjects, so... i am not sure this rings true.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

Wtf. They are both pretty high achievers, Rudd did graduate with honours from ANU and studied in Taiwan

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)