The Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by mrman
its not like its a patriarchal society anymore, just look at the number of females posting on this forum

wow thats just asking for comment
Firstly, i doubt it really matters how many people of whatever sex post in this forum. I honestly don't think this forum represents a microcosm of society today!

Secondly, how can you say we don't live in a patriarchal society? Yes, society is less patriarchal than in the 19th Century but have you ever stopped to look at society today? How many women do you see at the head of major companies or in politics? Why are women still fighting for maternity leave? Women are still objectified but society seems to accept this (think the beauty myth)

So I&S is a module created by sex starved English teacher? Probably but the themes are still relevant today in our patriarchal society.

Rayanz

rayanz
HSC
why was i directed to this reply in email? it had nothin to do wit my post...i think...

I&S was admitted by one of the board judges for Extension English in a lecture at Hornsby Library to be the driest English course. At least I have backup now! ;)

muldersgun

HSC
haha, its dry only if you take it as dry. I know most of my friends take the absolute piss out of the written texts and watch P&P as often as possible so we can say to our parents that watching Colin Firth prance around in a wet shirt is essentially "studying"

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by Rayanz
why was i directed to this reply in email? it had nothin to do wit my post...i think...

you get an e-mail to say that someone has replied to this thread. not neccesarily to your post. If you don't want to get the e-mail, go to your user cp and unsubscribe from this thread

Jinglebell

HSC
Originally posted by muldersgun
watch P&P as often as possible so we can say to our parents that watching Colin Firth prance around in a wet shirt is essentially "studying"
why does that sound oddly familiar? it's been the basis at least one 'study sleepover' this year for me and my 3u buddies:)

mrman

Originally posted by s2ophie
today!

Secondly, how can you say we don't live in a patriarchal society? Yes, society is less patriarchal than in the 19th Century but have you ever stopped to look at society today? How many women do you see at the head of major companies or in politics?
Because the are not as good as men? I thought that was obvious.
A perfect example of this is Kerry Chickarovski (I think thats how you spell it, but then again who can?). Leader of the opposition once, then lost by a landslide and had to quit... Enough said

Watch this for a conclusive proof that it is no longer a patriarchal society;

1. Women obviously set this course[or very effeminate men] which is now on the syllabus.
2. If guys sat around perving on girls for their 'study' it would be called sexist, when girls do it with I&S its called constructive learning or more technically looking at 'texts and ways of thinking'.

I know flawless proof, don't bother replying :D

Jinglebell

HSC
flaws in your 'flawless' logic:

1. the fact that it's such an oddity to have a 'girly' course in the syllabus...surely a course females relate to shouldn't seem so strange an occurence?

2. perving isn't actually the object of the course (funnily enough). it's just an added bonus that comes with one of the texts. in theory, it could equate to guys who enjoy checking out alicia whats-her-name in 'clueless' for advanced...or in fact guys perving on the wonderbra-enhanced bosoms in 'p&p'...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yes the token creep in our year found Elizabeth Bennet quite sexy..... so there lol. It's still a patriarchy, you should hear the objectification of women that comes out of his mouth.... he's a stupid boy considering he is out numbered in our class as well lol.

CursedBeauty

Hey guys,
A newbie here. I'm doing the same texts most you guys are doing which is PnP, A Doll's House and Browning's poetry. Is anyone of you guys done your portfolio yet? I'm so stuck... Gawd. I've got some cool suggestions for related texts:
The Awakening by Kate Chopin is clearly related to A Doll's House
Lady of Shalott by Alfred Tennyson relates to Browning
Daniel Deronda which was a BBC thing like PnP and a book (can't remember the author)... it relates to PnP and Browning.

What are you guys did/doing for you portfolios? Anyone finished the course yet? What kind of questions did you get for your trials?

mrman

hmm, you guys... sorry girls [i sense the need to be politcally correct], make a strong case.

Do you want to give me all your study notes/essays lol?

oh, but you see the problem is, im stuck doing blade runner and p&p. So the boring movies never relent for me, really they don't. ITs driving me insane!

Jinglebell

HSC
Originally posted by mrman
Do you want to give me all your study notes/essays lol?
hehehe...no:p

you probably wouldn't want them anyway... well, except for the letter i wrote for the creative part of our half yearly, i was quite proud of my characterisation of lizzy...but then, my friend repeatedly tells me that i am lizzy, somaybe it wasn't that much of an achievement:)

mrman

your lizzy? some FEMALE sub teacher, so dont think im just being mysoginist said, Lizzy seems like a stuck up prune who needs some sex?? ohhh wait sorry that was Isabel Archer... my bad

still give me your essays PAAAAHHHH-LEASEEEEE

Jinglebell

HSC
well, i got 22/25 for my trial essay (although i think our teacher marks way too easy), if i can be bothered once i finish my ext 2 i'll type it out for you, or dig out my half yearly and type that...

and i'm lizzy in the sense of loving a battle of wits, and basically taking the piss in a clever way. i adore the banter between her and darcy (although it's so much better in the book)...i'm such a debater:)

mrman

do you actually debate?

omg ur sooooooo cool if you give me your essay.... you are now my best friend... except if you renege, then its knives out!

Jinglebell

HSC
yeah, i really debate. since primary school, and i've been 3rd speaker with exactly the same team since yr7...man i'm gonna miss it next year:) and when i'm not debating, i enjoy a good argument, preferably with a stupid person when you can argue something that's not even true and still twist it around to win:p(yes, i'm evil)

wow, i get to be cool and your best friend? what an incentive:) well, that and the fact that i don't like knives...

mrman

lol good cos i dont like using em... well not alot anyway!

Yeah i debate too, but cant you just keep debating at Uni if u like it?

Leon585

HSC
I OWN OWN OWN OWN OWN OWN OWN OWN OWN

FUCK YOU ALL INCLUDING CHRIS LYONS!

Jinglebell

HSC
did i mention that obnoxious people who hurt my poor brain late at night by typing obscenities and in all caps annoy me? can i borrow your knives there mrman?;)

i don't think uni debating would be the same without the people i've known since primary school...and to be honest i don't think i'm good enough for uni teams...many high school teams tend to be moderately crap in my experience, leading to not a whole lot of skill development for the rest of us:) plus, the arrogant bastards have turned me off teams with guys...although there is the part where debating guys tend to have sexy voices...well now i'm torn:p

s2ophie

HSC
high school debting is a bit wishy washy. i mean my school actually asked me to debate when they were desperate! and go away Leon, nobody likes you and your obscenities

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)