The Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

mrman

wishy washy. Yeh, I can see where your coming from.

I think we should just say to Leon

"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence."

Take a few words out of jinglebells book? i guess she must have signed up around christmas

s2ophie

HSC
well i did the independent I&S paper today. has anyone else done it?

Jinglebell

HSC
Originally posted by mrman
i guess she must have signed up around christmas
actually it was my nickname from year 8 of something...don't even really remember why now, but no one came up with a better nickname for me so it stuck:) i'm open to suggestions though:p

and yeah, wishy washy just about sums up high school debating.

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by mrman
yeah, when is your english extension 2 due?

just go to the EE2 forum and you'll quickly get the idea that it is very soon! wednesday actually!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Tuesday for us because we are going to Sydney on Wednesday!!!!!!!! Damn King Lear, when will he ever just leave my life alone!!!!!!

mrman

so you dont actually live in sydney? Probably explains the phrase
"Happiness is like peeing your pants- everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth!"

Actually in explains alot in your case!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
WTF? Are you paying out non metropolitan people???? You've got a lotta nerve mate. Soph, back me up here!!!!!

s2ophie

HSC
Yes its true: people do actually live outside Sydney! yeah non-metropolitan people are good!

(ahem thats why ash and i both want to move to sydney next year!)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
LOL yeah I forgot about that Soph.... it's only because we want to compare non-metro life to city life to show that it is oh so much more exciting :rolleyes:

Dude135

hey ppl,
for those of you that studied browning, dolls house and P&P, which of those texts in your opinion presents the notion of the individual in society more effectively

Jinglebell

HSC
it depends which text you relate to the most...as much as i love browning, i just can't relate to it as much as P&P (mostly due to the previously discussed affinity with lizzy and a strong, uh, 'admiration' for colin firth:p).

so for me, it's P&P...but then, if you're not a girl then you may not think so. it's highly subjective...and i really shouldn't have tried to answer any sort of question in my current state of brain-dead exhaustion, but i hope you get my drift - there's no definitive 'good' text, it depends on you...and what sort of line you take in your essays, i guess.

Rayanz

rayanz
HSC
i walked out of the extension 1 exam last week thinkin 'omg that was so hard..' i couldnt answer the Q properly -

my friends were talkin about how easy it was - the second Q which i couldnt do. i felt so stupid knowin i found it so hard

then i realised i did the wrong question!!!

fuck

the actual question was dead easy. i chose the wrong one for I&S course. thats bad

so i failed a trial worth 40%. not great

good luck to the rest of u:confused: :confused:

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by Dude135
hey ppl,
for those of you that studied browning, dolls house and P&P, which of those texts in your opinion presents the notion of the individual in society more effectively
As much as i love P& P i think dolls house represents I&S most effectively. The C19th was hypocritical in its difference between appearance and reality - the way Ibsen presents the empowerment of a female from her 'most sacred obligations' in her home strongly shows the view of society and how the needs of individuals can override this.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Oooohhhh Soph very smart.

P&P really only shows moderate change or challenge of social conventions, because Elizabeth does succumb to the institution of marriage in the end. Ibsen is really "in your face", I think his hyperealism challenges social conventions like marriage most strongly.

s2ophie

HSC
thanks ash :)
the other thing i meant to add was when you look at P&P is is an 1813 time period whereas Ibsen is 1879 and Browning is middle of the century. P&P is more tied up with old world values and advocates only a moderate change whereas Ibsen and Browning push for radical change based on their reflections of the values (ways of thinking!) of the decades before them.

Despite that, i still love P&P! 'You must allow me to tell you how ardently i admire and love you' sigh!

Jinglebell

HSC
hmm, great 'doll's house' points...did i mention we're o behind that we haven't even really started that yet? GAH! with 4 lessons to go, we've barely touched on it! i think i feel an ext 1 holiday study group coming on:)

Originally posted by s2ophie
'You must allow me to tell you how ardently i admire and love you' sigh!
and don't you just see and hear colin firth every time you read that line? i'll see your sigh and raise you a swoon:p

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by Jinglebell
i'll see your sigh and raise you a swoon:p
lol. how about we agree to swoon together!?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)