The Justice Game (1 Viewer)

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
anyone doing it?
how's everyone finding it?

we got the text last week of term and it looks so tedious to get through...

Dumbledore

HSC
let the chain of greatness describe it

Frankenstein>Blade Runner>belonging>Hamlet>nothing!>the justice game

read 100 pages of frankenstein in 1 hour and read 1 page of the justice game in 100 hours

yummy-cookies

HSC
Me! I'm doing it.

Its taking me soooo long to get through it. I'm only 1/2 way through and need to finish it by the end of the holidays. I didn't find it as bad as I expected for a non-fiction book dealing with law, though.

thatswatshesaid

HSC
It doesn't seem that bad.

We started it the other day in class (Diana in the Dock). I reckon it would be harder to understand if you didn't have a kinda basic knowledge of legal terminology. Some people in my class didn't know what a defendant was.

Overall pretty good i reckon....

youngminii

Banned
HSC
We're doing it. Well, not all of it. Only select "essays".
It's pretty damn fun actually. Prisonder of Venda, Malcom X, Show Trials, Trials of Oz are all fantastic reading material.

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
When I started it, it was like eating 8kg of dry weetbix. But slowly I have warmed up to it and its going down much better.

sebo938

HSC
I think if it had a half decent front cover it would be so much easier to read. There is something slightly off putting about geoffrey robertson's face T.T

B

.b0nNi3.

This may sound dumb but what are the conflicting perspectives represented in Show Trials and Prisoner of Venda
coz i only see Robertson's
Obviously the governments he refers to are the opposition but their views are really represetned....or rather, they're filtered through Robertson's criticism

so how are we meant to say they manipulate language to show their views

thepumpkinpie

HSC
N/A
um, well it's more that Geoffrey Robertson is retelling you the story from his perspective, so anything he says on any of the other characters is coloured firstly by the way he presents them - like if he says they're stuck up - and then by how he manipulates responders to sort of, pass our own opinions.

Yeah so i'm kinda slow and haven't done the Show Trials OR the Prisoner of Venda,
but like in Michael X, Robertson does this thing with the framing of Michael (the guy who's on death row) where he selectively describes certain details - like the hardships of being on death row, waiting to die, being locked up 23-24 hours a day, no human contact except with guards, etc - to make us sympathise with him and it works cos somehow we forget that he killed a guy and probs deserves to be in jail.

Oh and yeah, if Robertson frames a character as stuck up (like Judge Argyle in the Trials of Oz) it makes us like disregard everything that character says because we're thinking 'psssh, that guy's an idiot', so maybe that's kind of like the government thingy you're talking about? They don't really get a say, it's implied.

He's mighty clever that Roberston...

thepumpkinpie

HSC
N/A
also: so this module, is it more concept based or related text based?
like, say, if i were to write an essay, which i know i'll have to get around to soon, would it be like 1/2 concept and 1/2 examples from texts OR topic sentence concepts mainly examples?
does anyone care?

odd-head

HSC
im doing the justice game as well but im still confused about how to do essays on this module!
can someone please help?

marinaghattas92

HSC
LOL...i think its a great idea to read it to get a general overview...that way ur not fully analysing the text and putting ur head in the sand...then ur re-reading can include deconstructing the text....i think if u go in with a negative attitude ur gonna hate it..but as long as u hv all ur notes (mind maps, essays, wateva) u'll b fine...n practice tonnes of quns...ask ur teacher...make up ones...use ones from past papers and adjust the key words to suit conflicting perspectives...and VOILA...u got urself a practise qun...i dnt mind helping anyone...just PM...BUT DONT ASK FOR MY NOTES I WORKED MY ASS OFF FOR THEM...:)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
There's an episode of the west wing.. Episode 14 - Take This Sabbath Day.
My english teacher actually showed it to the class, recommending it as a related text for Michael X on Death Row (the episode's about capital punishment, with conflicting perspectives: religious vs secular mainly)
It's good

HSC
hey does any1 think 'To kill a micking bird' would work as a related texts for 'The Justice Game'?
I was asked to write an essay arguing that there are different viewpoints about the events, personalities, or situations he (Robertson) has represented. I also had to link it to a related text.

help any1???

marinaghattas92

HSC
Bahhahahahaha we're all on this site. Guys i still dont have any related material for the justice game:l
lol..hey tina!!! well why dnt u use one of Mike Moore's documentaries...doesnt hv to be bowling for columbine...but he has a few...most have contraversial issues...i fink mrs told u not to use to kill a mockingbird ay??? anywaiiz tc n cya soon tina :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)