• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The 'left' = dirty? (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
That was a very long way to say 'there are idiots on both sides' and 'people may become conservative because they are rebelling against mainstream leftist hand wringing at university'
That is the raw skeleton of my argument, yes :)

withoutaface said:
I disagree, conservative social views are most of the time just as valid as progressive ones. Political correctness can take annoyingly moronic tangents, such as feminists deciding that women is in fact spelt womyn, and if anyone wishes to argue that the effort spent in changing the spelling of a word to appease the negligable number of people who care, not because they feel insulted or insubordinated by the spelling of the word, but because they want to be noticed for looking alternative, is logically justified, then go ahead.
lol that would just be being anal

I wouldn't say most of the time just as valid. Take views against gays, abortions and multiculturalism, for example. Such views are often illogical and seem particularly anachronistic, in my opinion.

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
I disagree, conservative social views are most of the time just as valid as progressive ones. Political correctness can take annoyingly moronic tangents, such as feminists deciding that women is in fact spelt womyn, and if anyone wishes to argue that the effort spent in changing the spelling of a word to appease the negligable number of people who care, not because they feel insulted or insubordinated by the spelling of the word, but because they want to be noticed for looking alternative, is logically justified, then go ahead.
that's a silly example to support that argument
anyone proposing this 'womyn' crap is hardly moderate left.
it's quite an extreme example

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
that's a silly example to support that argument
anyone proposing this 'womyn' crap is hardly moderate left.
it's quite an extreme example
I'm fairly sure Labor Left would like to consider themselves moderate left...

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Phanatical said:
They use "womyn" and "hir" in Gender Studies at USYD.

Thats absolultley hilarious. You'd think they'd actually be fighting for equality, not the bloody spelling of women. Womyn is just odd...

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Asquithian said:
I'd never trust phanatical ever to accurately protray feminists. He simply hates women in the first place.

I have never come accross feminist academics (extreme ones at that) ever using that spelling.
How about dyke academics?

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Al·ley-oop
n. Basketball

1. A play in which a pass is lobbed above the basket and a player jumps up and attempts to catch the ball and score before returning to the floor.
2. The pass made in such a play.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Asquithian said:
I'd never trust phanatical ever to accurately protray feminists. He simply hates women in the first place.

I have never come accross feminist academics (extreme ones at that) ever using that spelling.
Really? Maybe it's just some big joke or something?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Oh nah definately not a joke formed by men...
At UWS a girl I was with had a "womyn collective" pamphlet, it said "What is a womyn you ask?" then went on to explain how they want to separate themselves from men.

I mean I think it's largely (for most of them) just a way at taking a shot at men like us who think it's ridiculous. Kinda like how I'd tell an environmentalist that I eat koala's or something.

Comrade nathan

HSC
There is a group in the US called the Maoist International Movement (http://www.etext.org/Politics/MIM/ ) , they are some of the remanents of the original Black Panther Party. They use language such as "womyn", but use the style for larger amount of words, for instance they seriously use the term "Amerikkka". The use these word for posting article on the interenet to writing offical party documents

Although they do not believe men and women are so different, but the term women is a oppressive term. The also believe that sex between men and women is rape for the women due the patriarch style of western society.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Deus said:
oh sorry, I am slow today.
wait, I'm slow all the time. it must be the effect of shiny red thing gleaming at me.
thanks deus!

malkin86

HSC
I thought it meant his-or-her. sie (pronounced see) would be he-or-she.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'm doing a triple major as part of my combined degree, and one of those Majors is in Gender Studies at USYD. I do not exaggerate.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I don't think you made a single rational argument there. Or stated a single fact, for that matter.

I am not an extremist, for the simple fact that masculism is all about equal rights for both genders. Unlike modern feminism, it is not about oppressing a gender. It is about addressing the issue of misandry in society - for while misogyny is dead, buried and in most cases Illegal, misandry is glorified, showcased and in many cases enshrined in our laws.

My belief is that those who have power to do so, should examine the impact of feminist policy on school students, on university students, on apprentices in physical trades, on fathers, on soldiers, on workers, on the elderly. In every single one of these examples we find countless examples proving that men face disadvantage in society for their gender. Is society so sick that it is heresy to discuss these issues? Because if it is, then this just proves my point.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
I don't think you made a single rational argument there. Or stated a single fact, for that matter.

I am not an extremist, for the simple fact that masculism is all about equal rights for both genders. Unlike modern feminism, it is not about oppressing a gender. It is about addressing the issue of misandry in society - for while misogyny is dead, buried and in most cases Illegal, misandry is glorified, showcased and in many cases enshrined in our laws.

My belief is that those who have power to do so, should examine the impact of feminist policy on school students, on university students, on apprentices in physical trades, on fathers, on soldiers, on workers, on the elderly. In every single one of these examples we find countless examples proving that men face disadvantage in society for their gender. Is society so sick that it is heresy to discuss these issues? Because if it is, then this just proves my point.
I'm not sure what your understanding is of modern feminism, however the third wave of feminism nowdays is aware of the previous limitations associated with past views of feminism. Currently feminism acknowledges that you cannot take a unitarist approach by viewing the situation women face as the same. Instead it aknowledges that problems face differ according to culture and geography

Alright men may face disadvantages in those areas you have highlighted. Both genders also face common disadvantages. However, I think in these areas mentioned above women face more disadvantages than males face.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)