• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The legitimacy of depression as an illness. (3 Viewers)

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
Depression is an illness, if you deny that you are retarded. Although i do believe there are heaps of people diagnosed that probably do not have depression.

magickmidget

HSC
N/A
Yes, but I think there are an awful lot of people can't distinguish between legitimately having depression and being depressed. Everyone has days and even periods of times where they're depressed. You're superhuman (or at the other end of the scale, an idiot who's slightly oblivious) if you can get through life without ever being depressed.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I agree with you so many people can not distingush between been sad and having depression.
I hate it when people say to people with depression "just be happy" it is not that simple!

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
"I had a shit day and feel depressed. That sounds similar to Depression. OMFG I'VE GOT DEPRESSION."

If you had a shit day and feel moody, you havnt got Depression, ur just pissed off your boss didnt give u a rise.

If you have had a shit week with no sign of getting better, then get it checked out.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
"I had a shit day and feel depressed. That sounds similar to Depression. OMFG I'VE GOT DEPRESSION."

If you had a shit day and feel moody, you havnt got Depression, ur just pissed off your boss didnt give u a rise.

If you have had a shit week with no sign of getting better, then get it checked out.
i think generally the advice is if the symptoms of depression last more then two weeks then get help, or if you are contemplating suicide.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
That is a major issue, and can distort the diagnoses further. The fact that it often involves trying to quantify a qualitative variable is a pain in the ass at the best of times, but also trying to have people explain what is going on. Dunno about anyone else, but I found that to be extremely difficult to do.
Perhaps the approach in DSM-IV is wrongheaded then? I agree that the rubric is awkward and faces big problems when trying to standardise qualitative indicators of illness which, by their nature, are embeded in a person's life (culture, language, meaning, etc). Do note, though, that something like 'length of time over which one has been having the experience X' is essentially quantitative.

jmgoldie

HSC
I tell people with athsma and diabetes to get over it all the time. Especially if it is caused through their own actions. ie fat people with diabetes from being fat, smokers with athsma. Makes me feel great about myself really. Therefore why should i make allowances for people with depression when it is caused by their own actions? ie being shit at life etc (you know what i mean).
ooohkay boris you're a big tool. stop finding what you want to see in people's posts so you can have something to say. I said it's like telling people with asthma to get over it. I was not saying it's like telling people with asthma who complain about it, to get over it. Are you telling me that if someone walking past you had asthma and you happened to have been told about it you would turn to them, like the big hero you seem to be, and tell them "to get over it and harden up". And hey if you would then christ, I hope you have something else going for you than your awesome people skills.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
ooohkay boris you're a big tool. stop finding what you want to see in people's posts so you can have something to say. I said it's like telling people with asthma to get over it. I was not saying it's like telling people with asthma who complain about it, to get over it. Are you telling me that if someone walking past you had asthma and you happened to have been told about it you would turn to them, like the big hero you seem to be, and tell them "to get over it and harden up". And hey if you would then christ, I hope you have something else going for you than your awesome people skills.

ignore it.

HSC
I tell people with athsma and diabetes to get over it all the time. Especially if it is caused through their own actions. ie fat people with diabetes from being fat, smokers with athsma. Makes me feel great about myself really. Therefore why should i make allowances for people with depression when it is caused by their own actions? ie being shit at life etc (you know what i mean).

What actions exactly are you referring to which result in people suffering from depression? And whilst formulating another moronic and insulting response, perhaps you would like to suggest reasons why someone would choose to suffer depression. And I'm sorry, but 'for the purpose of gaining attention and sympathy' just doesn't cut it.
And yes jmgoldie, you're right; they are a tool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)