The legitimacy of depression as an illness. (1 Viewer)

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Do you believe in the existence of depression or simply in the weakness of those who claim to suffer from it.

I'm not saying that everyone who is out there is faking it, but i have found personally that for most people labeling themselves as having depression it's just an easy way out of a difficult situation, an excuse.

I suppose what most gets me about it is that there aren't in most cases any physical symptoms, so it makes it hard for me personally to believe in it as an actual illness rather than just the weakness of certain individuals (in most cases).

What are your personal views on this?

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
depression is an illness, it just can be very serve or only a slight problem

my friends took his life at the end of last year after a battle with depression, and that basically confirms to me that it is a real illness

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Some people have it.
Some people just need to harden the fuck up.

That said, after spending some time in MH, I can say with authority that there are a lot of fucking crazy people out there.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
depression is an illness, it just can be very serve or only a slight problem

my friends took his life at the end of last year after a battle with depression, and that basically confirms to me that it is a real illness

did you have any idea as to what started his cycle of depression??

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Sometimes I feel depressed. And then I take a cup of shut the fuck up and a pill of get over it.

I honestly think that depression in older men may be the one area that needs to be examined and supported more closely, but idk, I personally think that there would be a few claiming "depression" when really they're just using it as a crutch for their epic failure at life.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Some people have it.
Some people just need to harden the fuck up.
qft.
Some people have a chemical imbalance in their brain or truly go through some hard shit in life that destroys their mental stability. Others are emo and want attention.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
im not 100% sure but it might have been his parents divorce, im not sure exactly when they divorced

he ended up taking his life in the middle of the hsc which was very unfortunate

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Psychiatry is a bullshit psuedo-science, most diagnoses aren't real.

Anti-psychiatry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with most of the criticisms in this article, particular the issues about normality and illness judgements, psychiatric labelling, and the influence of the pharmaceutical industry.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Well you know what, I think a lot of problems people have does have to do with this over reliance on diagnosis and there being a pill for everything. A lot of anti psychotic medicines and anti depressants have a multitude of side effects that either create new problems or exacerbate others.

There is no such thing as the perfect antipsych/depressant, which is why many people I've seen at work are swapping and changing continually, because one med might treat one thing but the side effects include shitting your pants and facial twitches, which tbh would depress me even more.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
im not 100% sure but it might have been his parents divorce, im not sure exactly when they divorced

he ended up taking his life in the middle of the hsc which was very unfortunate
you're probably going to hate me for this but when people do that i don't feel pity i feel anger. How could someone give up on life, give up on themselves and those around them... no matter how bad your life is you still have one and some people in many parts of the world go through more than what he probably had just to hold onto life itself and he threw it all away like it was nothing.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Faggots need to go back to the Great Depression and eat rabbit for breakfast, lunch, dinner and live in a milk crate.

Then tell me you've got depression.

HSC
I was never medicated, and it was never addressed properly at the time.
YAY NERVOUS TICS.
I have primary and secondary ones. hellz yeah!

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
you're probably going to hate me for this but when people do that i don't feel pity i feel anger. How could someone give up on life, give up on themselves and those around them... no matter how bad your life is you still have one and some people in many parts of the world go through more than what he probably had just to hold onto life itself and he threw it all away like it was nothing.
its your opinion and i respect that

personally its harder to feel that when you know someone who has been through it, i understand what you are saying and i partly agree with you, but they cant really control how the feel and in the state of mind they are in you cant really say they had full control

to clear something up though it occurred in the hsc period, the hsc itself wasnt related to the matter, since he was doing pathways as he had taken so much time off the get things in order ive been told and was only doing 1 subject last year, the timing of it just effected everyone else

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
I was never medicated, and it was never addressed properly at the time.
YAY NERVOUS TICS.
I have primary and secondary ones. hellz yeah!
what in your mind was the cause of your depression?
was there a key event that seemed to be the root of it?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yes but I question the extent of the depression people claim they have.

For example -
Some times I feel so weighted down by work and uni and life that I get teary and I want to crawl under the covers for a week. I literally feel as though there is a weight on my back and a lump in my throat. Sometimes I feel like giving up.

It sucks. So I go and do something relaxing for a bit and brainstorm and prioritize to put things in perspective. Things are never as bad as they seem, and if you dwell on this diagnosis of "depression", I think you're just luring yourself into false pretenses.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I went through a period for the past 2-3 years where I would become inconsolably sad at random times for no reason, among a general prolonged sadness.

On the day of my best friends 21st birthday, I spent all morning and afternoon crying for no real reason. I was so embarrased when I had to leave my room and, between sobbing, tried to tell dad I didn't think I'd be able to go the party.

I tried to straighten myself up and went to the party, but within 5 minutes of arriving, I had to call dad to come pick us up. I never told anyone why I left.

Nothing has seriously changed in my life or person since then, after years of feeling terrible all the time, but for the past 9 months I've felt great.

I still don't think it's accurate to clasify this emotional state as a real illness.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Yes but I question the extent of the depression people claim they have.

For example -
Some times I feel so weighted down by work and uni and life that I get teary and I want to crawl under the covers for a week. I literally feel as though there is a weight on my back and a lump in my throat. Sometimes I feel like giving up.

It sucks. So I go and do something relaxing for a bit and brainstorm and prioritize to put things in perspective. Things are never as bad as they seem, and if you dwell on this diagnosis of "depression", I think you're just luring yourself into false pretenses.
what you are refering to is basically the lows of the hsc/uni etc, people emotions and moods flucuate during these times and can lead to depression if this state of mind is present for long period of time, with not only work, but everything becoming too hard

but depression is a long term illness, where long period of depression are felt

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
what you are refering to is basically the lows of the hsc/uni etc, people emotions and moods flucuate during these times and can lead to depression if this state of mind is present for long period of time, with not only work, but everything becoming too hard

but depression is a long term illness, where long period of depression are felt
I bet starvin Marvin's in Africa feel long periods of depression when they don't eat for 3 months at a time.

IMO, depression is often a western construct used to explain why we're all such selfish fuckheads with no perspective.

Last edited:

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
if you think your sad you will be basically.

Depression is an illness of the mind, therefore the mind should potentially have the power to break free of it.

It is a construction of modern western society.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)