• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Lord Of The Rings (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I have never watched LOTR. Not once. Never. I haven't read it either.

With the impending release of the final instalment, I would like to get in the zone... so could somebody explain to me what LOTR is about, and everything I need to know

Huy

HSC
N/A
You're two years behind :(

It would have been better if you had read the book, for comparisons between the novel and the film translation. Even if you haven't read the book (or if you're simply not a Tolkien fan), having seen the first two films 'sets the scene' for the return of the king (literally).

I hate to do this again, but some things can't be explained in a 'neat' post (this thread would be easier than the Matrix thread).

www.lordoftherings.net
www.theonering.net

It's hard to explain when you haven't read the book (and even harder if you haven't seen the films). :(

edit
Taken from the official LOTR website, here are a few links you might want to read,

LOTR FOTR - Fellowship of the Ring
http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_synopsis_fotr.html

In this part of the trilogy, the young Hobbit Frodo Baggins inherits a ring; but this ring is no mere trinket. It is the One Ring, an instrument of absolute power that could allow Sauron, the dark Lord of Mordor, to rule Middle-earth and enslave its peoples. Frodo, together with a Fellowship that includes his loyal Hobbit friends, Humans, a Wizard, a Dwarf and an Elf, must take the One Ring across Middle-earth to Mount Doom, where it first was forged, and destroy it forever. Such a journey means venturing deep into territory manned by Sauron, where he is amassing his army of Orcs. And it is not only external evils that the Fellowship must combat, but also internal dissension and the corrupting influence of the One Ring itself. The course of future history is entwined with the fate of the Fellowship.
LOTR TTT - The Two Towers
http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_synopsis_ttt.html
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers begins in the hills of Emyn Muil, where lost Hobbits Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Sam (Sean Astin) discover they are being followed by the mysterious Gollum (Andy Serkis). A mercurial creature who has himself been warped by the Ring, Gollum promises to guide the Hobbits to the Black Gates of Mordor if they will release him. Sam does not trust their new companion, but Frodo takes pity on Gollum, who like himself was once a Ringbearer.

Across Middle-earth Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen), the Elf archer Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and Gimli the Dwarf (John Rhys-Davies) encounter the besieged Rohan kingdom, whose once great King Theoden (Bernard Hill) has fallen under Sarumans deadly spell through the manipulations of his spy, the sinister Wormtongue (Brad Dourif). Eowyn (Miranda Otto), the niece to the King, recognizes a leader in the Human warrior Aragorn. And though he finds himself drawn to her, Aragorn is constantly reminded of his enduring love for the Elf Arwen (Liv Tyler) and the pact they made together.

Gandalf (Ian McKellen) has been reborn as Gandalf the White following his cataclysmic fight with the Balrog, and reminds Aragorn of his destiny to unite the Rohan people with the last remaining stronghold of Human resistance Gondor.

In their parallel journeys, the Fellowship will face unimaginable armies and deception while also witnessing ancient wonders and the untapped strength of their people. Together they must stand against the powerful forces spreading from the Two Towers Orthanc Tower in Isengard, where the corrupted wizard Saruman has bred a lethal army 10,000 strong; and Saurons fortress at Barad-dr, deep within the dark lands of Mordor.
LOTR ROTK - Return of the King
http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_synopsis_rotk.html
With the final battle joined and the legions of darkness gathering, Gandalf (Ian McKellen) urgently tries to rally Gondor's broken army to action. He is aided by Rohan's King Theoden (Bernard Hill), who unites his warriors for history's biggest test.

Yet even with their courage and passionate loyalty, the forces of men--with Eowyn (Miranda Otto) and Merry (Dominic Monaghan) hidden among them--are no match for the enemies swarming against Gondor.

Still, in the face of great losses, they charge forward into the battle of their lifetimes, tied together by their singular goal to keep Sauron distracted and give the Ring Bearer a chance to complete his quest.

Their hopes rest with Frodo (Elijah Wood), a tiny but determined hobbit making a perilous trip across treacherous enemy lands to cast the One Ring into the fires of Mount Doom.

The closer Frodo gets to his final destination, the heavier his burden becomes and the more he must rely on Samwise Gamgee (Sean Astin). Gollum-and the Ring itself-will test Frodo's allegiances and, ultimately, his humanity.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King concludes the epic story of these characters, their relationships and rivalries, and reveals how through courage, commitment and determination even the least of us can change the world.

Last edited:

s2ophie

HSC
it would make sense to watch the first two... they will tell you pretty much everything...

Rahul

Dead Member
yeh watch the two movies beforehand. it will make complete sense.
they may seem long, but dont let that throw you, the movies are interesting.

i am going to watch the first two just before going to watch the 3rd one. :p

Huy

HSC
N/A
9 hours? I think not.

Rahul

Dead Member
i dont know if they are going hold marathons, but i will:D

watch the extended versions of the first 2, then the third one....easily 10+ hrs. need a lot of sleep before.

MoNNiE

HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
are they going to marathon it like the matrix? ie. show the first two before the third in one session?
i think if they did have a marathon food and toilet breaks should be provided!.. idon't think sitting aorund 9 hrs is to anyones delight!

juggernaut

HSC
i went to a movie marathon that had the 1st two movies (in addition with some other random one).. it was boring considering i had seen the 1st one about 100 times b4

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
greater union are having marathons with all three movies for the die hard fans (or those with nothing better to do).
you can book tickets on the 11th of December. we are going gold class! (yay! finally old enough!)

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
dont they usually have these marathons late at night, and ppl come in their pj's

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
gosh arwen/liv tyler is soo prtty my fave scene is when she commands horses across the river of arndell *i think its called
bloody good movie and value for ur money too *3hr 22min. Nothing of that hollywood crap moulded in it...there wont be a marathon with the 3rd movie, maybe on seperate days just not on the same day otherwise people would die lol (fanatics like me wont)

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
gosh arwen/liv tyler is soo prtty my fave scene is when she commands horses across the river
she doesnt even do that in the book :p
actually, what does she do in the book....havent read it for a while and i remember nothing she did rofl, guess they needed some women in the film

HSC
arwen sucks. she shouldn't have been in the 2nd movie. she's only there because she wants to be highly credited.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
jackson extended her role so the movies wouldnt be seen as a boys club... but who cares she's hot

i think some cinemas are screening the 1st 2 movies a few days before boxing day... like george st (cant remember)

HSC
sorry bout that. just mad that everytime the lord of the rings cast has an interview or appears on the news, they always interview or screen liv tyler on the red carpet the most. guess that adds to the 'hotness factor';) :eek:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I hate Arwen, she's not even hardly in the first 2 books, and before the first movie come out, she got all the publicity, and then she was in the movie for like 2 minutes.
who cares if its a boys club, thats how the book is, be true to the story.
She's not even that hot, or talented, she'd only famous coz of her dad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)