The Lord Of The Rings (1 Viewer)

pman

Banned
HSC
what does everyone think of this book, It's not the novel tolkien set out to write, its a lot longer and prob harder to read but what does everyone think.

Also, I've forgotton but is there actually a battle a the gates of mordor in the books like their is in the movie, I can''t be bothered rereading to find out

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought that most of the book was good. Although Frodo is a shit cunt cause he takes all the credit but Sam does the important stuff. Yeah there is a battle at the Black Gate like in the movie.

BlackDragon

HSC
Its really good. Although the movies were great you can't ever really beat a book in terms of descriptive detail and emotion. Its really defined the fantasy genre ever since it was written.

pman

Banned
HSC
Ok, cos read it in yr 2 and watched the movie, couldn't remeber there being a battle of the black gate...on the note, lets here the story of Frodo the nine fingers and he ring of power

pman

Banned
HSC
ok, we have established that there is def a battle of the black gate, now lets discuss opinions about the novel

ashllis92

HSC
I love it! My only criticism would be that there are simply too many characters and it's incredibly hard to keep up with who's who especially when there's one passing reference to a character and then 5 chapters away they are suddenly a crucial element of the plot and you're left thinking wtf? where did you come from?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I think it's probably more descriptive than it needs to be. However, I can appreciate it as a literary classic, and can understand why it has such acclaim.

pman

Banned
HSC
I love it! My only criticism would be that there are simply too many characters and it's incredibly hard to keep up with who's who especially when there's one passing reference to a character and then 5 chapters away they are suddenly a crucial element of the plot and you're left thinking wtf? where did you come from?
I assume your refering to aragorn

BlackDragon

HSC
movies are better imo. the book really stretches things out, eg first book with all the extra characters they meet, the pages and pages of the Ents talking.

though you know in the second movie where a wild cat takes aragorn over the cliff into the wild river depths below? yeah. doesn't happen in the books.
This is the good stuff. The depth that the books have and the descriptions that he used are something that no movie could ever match. And they hollywoodised the end of the last book; But the movies were still great.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
This is the good stuff. The depth that the books have and the descriptions that he used are something that no movie could ever match. And they hollywoodised the end of the last book; But the movies were still great.
Scouring of the Shire was my favourite part; the hobbits kick ass. But it wouldnt' work in a movie coz u can't have the dramatic climax n then another little dramatic climax, plus length.

pman

Banned
HSC
sharkies boys is the best bit, the battle of the shire and the reference to how golf was invented (or was that in "there and back again, A hobbits tale" aka "The Hobbit").

HSC
Uni Grad
actually, just a note about the descriptions and such - the visuals in the movies are absolutely amazing and definitely worthy of the descriptions in the book
+1

Book descriptions are heaps grouse, as are the movies stunning visuals.

annietime

HSC
my absolute favourite book(s) ever !
the sheer detail tolkien puts into it is amazing , i remember reading the appendixes thoroughly lol
it's just such a beautiful book i can't describe
i remember dressing up in hobbit gear every day for two an a half weeks and then elf gear after that, trying to learn elfish and so on...

ahh those were the days. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)