The most nerve racking part about starting uni is.. (1 Viewer)

thesecond

HSC
I went to mentoring yest. and i found meeting people was easy. But finding people you could talk to further than an introductory conversation, that seems to be incredibly hard.
I seriously had nothing in common with the other people in my group. Plenty of awkward silences.
By lunch break i ditched them to explore the uni on my own, they didn't mind. But unfortunately the mentor did called me at 1 to see where i went and back to the amazing group i went....
Argh. Was not a good day at all.
On the positive i got a free toothbrush.

rx34

HSC
On the positive i got a free toothbrush.
ZOMG free toothbrush! Lol, are you doing dentistry?

Anyway, I remember my friend who does law got a free towel from a law firm in UNSW (2007) during OWeek.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah arts people are tricky. I did arts for a year and didn't make any friends haha.

It's rare to have the same classes as someone else. I much prefer primary ed, same people in lots of classes, easy to make friends.

thesecond

HSC
ZOMG free toothbrush! Lol, are you doing dentistry?

Anyway, I remember my friend who does law got a free towel from a law firm in UNSW (2007) during OWeek.
Lol no, arts. If only i was smart enough to do dentistry.
Free towel would've been more useful though, the tootbrush is a weird no water, no toothpaste and one use only.

thesecond

HSC
Yeah arts people are tricky. I did arts for a year and didn't make any friends haha.

It's rare to have the same classes as someone else. I much prefer primary ed, same people in lots of classes, easy to make friends.
No friends for a whole year? Sounds like my future.
My mentor freaked me out by saying if you dont make friends early on, you probably wont make friends at all.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
My mentor freaked me out by saying if you dont make friends early on, you probably wont make friends at all.
Some of my older friends are saying the same thing and I'm like gee, thanks for the reassurance. Because I am usually the last one to the party on the whole "making new friends" thing. Eg yesterday, I was gonna go to the arts mentoring day but got stuck in the timetabling line for two and a half hours to work out my almighty pain of a timetable (clashes still not resolved, woo). By the time I got out I was like, fuck it, I don't want to be the weirdo showing up after all the awkward introductions are over, so I bailed.

*puts "socially awkward" sticker on forehead*

kennalj

HSC
Some of my older friends are saying the same thing and I'm like gee, thanks for the reassurance. Because I am usually the last one to the party on the whole "making new friends" thing. Eg yesterday, I was gonna go to the arts mentoring day but got stuck in the timetabling line for two and a half hours to work out my almighty pain of a timetable (clashes still not resolved, woo). By the time I got out I was like, fuck it, I don't want to be the weirdo showing up after all the awkward introductions are over, so I bailed.

*puts "socially awkward" sticker on forehead*
they say make friends early on because then everyones new at uni and looking to meet other people since they don't really know anyone, after around the first 2 weeks, most people are already in their "groups"

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The most nerve racking part about starting uni is...

Not having anywhere to live. *gulp*

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Ohhh ouch. You win.

Got plans?
Sleep on friends floors and couches.

Or commute. Only there is no reliable bus or train service (at least not one that'll take less than four hours), and I don't have a car. Carpool where possible. :(

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
tbh i'm more worried about all the official bureaucracy stuff. with all the forms, procedures etc etc which i am pretty bad at. everyone eventually makes friends so yeah.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Lol no, arts. If only i was smart enough to do dentistry.
Free towel would've been more useful though, the tootbrush is a weird no water, no toothpaste and one use only.
I was at the mentor thing yesterday too - where did you score this glorious free toothbrush!?

Most of the people in my group were pretty OK though, although there was an international student who had difficulty following our conversations. This resulted in her giving completely unrelated answers to half of the questions asked.

thesecond

HSC
I was at the mentor thing yesterday too - where did you score this glorious free toothbrush!?
When i saw them they were along eastern ave near carslaw but they appeared to be on the move. Glorious? Haha I used it yesterday and it is clear to me there is a reason they want to get rid of them for free.

ixswans

HSC
I was REALLY worried about the friends thing because although I do have really good friends who I share breaks with, they're all doing something totally different. Doing the MX1 bridging course reallyyy helped me realise making friends isn't really that hard, you're just self conscious because I personally hadn't done it since Year 2 when I changed schools (went to a high school where more a lot were from my primary).

I'm most worried about whether people will notice if I wear an outfit twice in a month. I'm not one to buy different clothes all the time, but I don't want to seem fiscally challenged.

HSC
I'm most worried about whether people will notice if I wear an outfit twice in a month. I'm not one to buy different clothes all the time, but I don't want to seem fiscally challenged.
I went out last week and bought 30 shirts, so hopefully no one will see me wearing the same thing twice!

KarmaKitten

HSC
If a person is able to notice your clothes out of all the hundreds of people they will see in lectures and dozens of people in tutorials. While surrounded by assignments, essays, reports, tests, well then something is totally wrong with that person.

Besides, i've seen people wear pjs to class. Some spend the entire winter wearing University of Sydney hoodies or jumpers. While some seem to wear nothing but their sports jerseys, shorts and thongs EVERY day.

Trust me, wear whatever you want, it really doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)