• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

the myth to internal transfer at UMAC (1 Viewer)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
at macquarie uni they say that you can transfer with only a pass average... meaning all you gotta do is pass all your subjects and u can transfer internally to any course you want.
theoretically it sounds easy.. but that is not the case!!

the exams macquarie uni sets out are generally harder than other unis, so to even pass a subject at macquarie isnt as easy as it might have been at another uni. so achieving this pass average for internal transfers is realli just a marketing technique macquarie uses to have more students choose umac. but the truth has been spoken.

sorry umac admin and staff .. but u made me say it.

peace^^

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It's all relative my friend.

Seeing from the intensity of the japanese course, they expect you to do quite a bit, but of course they arent about to leave you in the dark, of course its a marketing ploy, but the lecturers and tutes are very helpful and aren't about to surprise you with something not taught.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Dingo is half right. Macquarie tends to give comparatively "lower" grades (esp compared with UNSW), but achieving a Pass average isn't really spectacular if you do put in the effort.

Consider also that at other unis, they require much more than Pass average.

Also there are slightly different requirements for Law and Actuarial Studies.

^___^
HSC
for transfering into actuarial, u need a GPA of 3.0?

and like u need to have done either math135 or 130 or some other one..

i was thinking..if u have done 135, wouldn't it harder to have achieved a GPA of 3.0 compared to doing 130??

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
They say "Pass Average" meaning all you have to do to transfer is pass all your courses. However like the HSC, they grade you and compare you among the other people who want to transfer into the same course. SO not only do you need to pass but you also have to do better then everyone else who wants to transfer.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Is that true bscienceboi?

Cos i think remember reading on the HSC&Beyond boards, that as long as u meet the requirements of the transfer, u'll be able to change courses....

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
Are you sure? Because I reckon tha 80% of people past and I don't think Macquarie could sustain that many internal transfers, so there MUST be some restrictions!

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
oh no way =\
ive been jippped by macq once again
i knew it sounded too good to be true

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
for transfering into actuarial, u need a GPA of 3.0?

and like u need to have done either math135 or 130 or some other one..

i was thinking..if u have done 135, wouldn't it harder to have achieved a GPA of 3.0 compared to doing 130??
Unless you get straight into Actuarial at Macq, there's no point attempting to transfer. I'm not sure about the GPA, but 135 is definitely scaled well!
Originally posted by bscienceboi
They say "Pass Average" meaning all you have to do to transfer is pass all your courses. However like the HSC, they grade you and compare you among the other people who want to transfer into the same course. SO not only do you need to pass but you also have to do better then everyone else who wants to transfer.
They can everyone if they wish. But Macq like all other unis have standards, which means if you don't reach a certain standard, they aren't going to pass you. It doesn't matter how the others do in this regard. Of course, with higher grades such as HDs and possibly Ds you will be competiting with others.

Passing it not hard!!! Unless you chose to do no work, cram and expect to pass. Because if you do no work, you aren't going to reach the basic minimum standard and obviously shouldn't be passed.
Originally posted by highpingbastard
Are you sure? Because I reckon tha 80% of people past and I don't think Macquarie could sustain that many internal transfers, so there MUST be some restrictions!
Not everyone wants to transfer, and it doesn't matter if an extra 50 (an extra 200 etc) people transfer to Commerce, because in essence it's the units the people will be doing.

Of course, there are restrictions to Law (not sure about Actuarial).
Originally posted by boinkBOINK
oh no way =\
ive been jippped by macq once again
i knew it sounded too good to be true
How about this, you get a GPA of 2, and then see if the system works! :p

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AcStyle*
Is that true bscienceboi?

Cos i think remember reading on the HSC&Beyond boards, that as long as u meet the requirements of the transfer, u'll be able to change courses....
I'm not sure what bscienceboi is saying. If you meet the requirements you will be eligible to transfer. Guranteed. It's NOT quota based (law excluded).

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
but 135 is definitely scaled well!

u better be right!!!

Originally posted by GoodToGo
I'm not sure what bscienceboi is saying. If you meet the requirements you will be eligible to transfer. Guranteed. It's NOT quota based (law excluded).
so you are saying, if the requirment for transfer is 2.0
no matter if 1000 ppl want to transfer into that, as long as they have gpa of 2.0 +, they can transfer?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A

so you are saying, if the requirment for transfer is 2.0
no matter if 1000 ppl want to transfer into that, as long as they have gpa of 2.0 +, they can transfer?
That's exactly what I am saying!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hehe yeah thats what my problem is *shakes fist at law quotas*

well i guess its good to curb the scum of the earth ^^

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
there must be some scaling system, or it simply wouldn't be fair would it?

what if some university was ultra-easy to get straight HDs? then you get some clown who got straight HDs in a dodgy uni transferring to aeronautical space engineering or law or something...

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Cyan_phoeniX
fuckin hell'

i wanted to tranfer to uts so im relying on grades. and to hear they are harder to get in maq...

FUCK YOU MAQUARIE! Why do u have to be different?
Take a chill pill...
Why would you rather go to that depressing one block, dark, ugly building that we people at MacUni, USYD, and UNSW refer to as UTS.

dead prez

its good if you're transferring to science next year

shiny new building

and their haymarket campus is good too

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AsyLum
hehe yeah thats what my problem is *shakes fist at law quotas*

well i guess its good to curb the scum of the earth ^^
Well I think if you get solid grades (Credit avg or so) and have a UAI of 90+ you'll have a VERY good chance of getting in. And better results in one are can compensate for the other.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well I think if you get solid grades (Credit avg or so) and have a UAI of 90+ you'll have a VERY good chance of getting in. And better results in one are can compensate for the other.

hehe yeah i know

im hoping i dont fuck up japanese cos thats intensely hard :S but fun nonetheless and is my only concern the rest is pretty simple...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by highpingbastard
there must be some scaling system, or it simply wouldn't be fair would it?

what if some university was ultra-easy to get straight HDs? then you get some clown who got straight HDs in a dodgy uni transferring to aeronautical space engineering or law or something...
Well, if someone is at some shody uni which gives out heaps HDs and they transfer into Law for example they'll get owned, and they won't do well. Simple.
Out of interest if Credit average is solid, what's a Distinction average? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)