"the naturally smart kids aren't usually the ones who do well in the HSC" (1 Viewer)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
scaredytiger said:
um. read the thread, love. she justified herself by quoting me in the end.

i understood.

her justifications between my post and the one quoting my post were what i was commenting on. they were flawed in their expression.

it was more a gentle teasing then anything else.
And I don't mind being poked at or challenged or questioned.

*shrugs*

I'm not going to go to bed tonight and fret over BOS. Either you get what I'm saying and agree or disagree, orrrr you don't and I'll try and make myself clearer.
In the end, it doesn't really matter.

omniscience

HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Always arrogance darling!

Its not so much memorisation as fine tuning. You can't write an A band essay right away, and its only with continual fine tuning and application of the concept you understand that you can.

I didn't mean to sound as though I spend all night re writing definitions of a journey or something daft. I don't. I just continually need to reinforce the concepts I grasp through practical application. Its pretty simple. Natural ability + hard work = good results.
You were talking about understanding/grasping a concept, not writing an A band essay. Refer to your own post and post again.

You never mentioned that writing an A band essay was one of the characteristics of "naturally smart" people. But you obviously are not then, are you?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
omniscience said:
You were talking about understanding/grasping a concept, not writing an A band essay. Refer to your own post and post again.

You never mentioned that writing an A band essay was one of the characteristics of "naturally smart" people. But you obviously are not then, are you?
To further understand the concept and make sure I AM grasping it completely and wholey, thats how I reinforce it.
Practical application. Doing things over and over. Making sure I've got everything.

bawd

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
I think the only way to test this is if the BOS gets a sample of students doing the HSC and make them do an IQ test.
A little irrelevant but, IQ tests tend to have validity, cultural-bias and various other issues making them highly unpractical for an intelligence test. Besides, what another person defines as intelligence is not the same as another.

And I believe naturally smart kids can just rip the HSC if they could put themselves up to it. I know a certain HSC '09 BoSer who has just those qualities and has finally decided after 5 years of procrastinating that he wants to do law at USyd.

lionking1191

HSC
the OP's statement has as much meaning as saying "i like food" (on second thoughts, maybe less)

if we were to use the analogy of a computer here

a naturally smart kid would have a higher processing speed, meaning he could get more/higher quality work done than someone with a slower processor. that does not mean however, that he will get more/better work done. other qualities such as perserverance, emotional quotient and behavioural patterns step in after that

omniscience

HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
To further understand the concept and make sure I AM grasping it completely and wholey, thats how I reinforce it.
Practical application. Doing things over and over. Making sure I've got everything.
It would be highly ridiculous if I continued to argue with someone who clearly hasn't got an idea what the contradictory statement is. There is no need to defend yourself, you clearly have failed to do so. Your effort to raise your status and be accosted by others as "naturally smart sonya" wasn't worth an effort. Now is your time to retreat to your comfort zone.

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Well the smartest kids I know aren't on their way to getting 90+ at all. They all got accepted into selective schools and rejected it. I think the non-selective schools bore them in their junior years since they find it so easy.

They kinda just bomb out and stop giving a shit.
thats me :(

i wish i hadn't stopped caring now. nowhere near on the way to 90. got into 2 selective schools, chose neither and really didnt give a damn by year 9.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
omniscience said:
It would be highly ridiculous if I continued to argue with someone who clearly hasn't got an idea what the contradictory statement is. There is no need to defend yourself, you clearly have failed to do so. Your effort to raise your status and be accosted by others as "naturally smart sonya" wasn't worth an effort. Now is your time to retreat to your comfort zone.
*Shrug*
No status raising involved. If this were all an ego fuck I'd be fighting back hard, but I'm not.

You've got a legitimate point, I was highly contradictory because I'm unwell, tired, and beyond caring about this debate. Its a means by which to wittle away time between now and bed. I don't mind its outcome. I don't really care whether it goes left or right or upside down.

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
um guys isn't it kind of common knowledge that the top results go to kids who study like fuck, but are obviously brainy to begin with? no shit that to get in the high 90's you need to study heaps and know the content inside out, which has a lot to do with rote memorisation :/

HSC
omniscience said:
Are you stupid? Look at the girls subjects! obviously she must be smart to be doing those sorts of subjects!

u-borat

Banned
HSC
a photographic memory would cut the time required to memorise an essay from 4ish hours to less than one.
i want one. :(

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
ChockoRepublic said:
Are you stupid? Look at the girls subjects! obviously she must be smart to be doing those sorts of subjects!
And to be ranked first in all but maths, btw.
*Shrug*
Innernetz is a bad place to argue about intelligence because much is lost with lack of face to face.

omniscience

HSC
N/A
ChockoRepublic said:
I am completley aware of her subjects. Doing subjects like EX2, EX1, History Extension does NOT entitle someone a title of "naturally smart" people.

On top of that, some of her subjects aren't that difficult anyway and to be ranked first in a school around 500s or 400s isn't that difficult as well.

2S1D3

HSC
lolcal said:
um guys isn't it kind of common knowledge that the top results go to kids who study like fuck, but are obviously brainy to begin with? no shit that to get in the high 90's you need to study heaps and know the content inside out, which has a lot to do with rote memorisation :/
+1

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
omniscience said:
I am completley aware of her subjects. Doing subjects like EX2, EX1, History Extension does NOT entitle someone a title of "naturally smart" people.

On top of that, some of her subjects aren't that difficult anyway and to be ranked first in a school around 500s or 400s isn't that difficult as well.
What a charming attitude. Though I tend to agree, subjects don't indicate intelligence.

Then again, a lower ranked school does not indicate a lack there of.

464th, btw. ^^

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
*Shrugs*
Nit pick all you want. I'm smart, but its got to be done until I'm satisfied I can do it perfectly. Doing it once won't do it for me.

Hard work and natural flair for learning.
if you understand instantly why do you need to review it? if you actually understood the concept you wouldnt need to learn it by rote. if you understood a theory and its application you wouldnt need to practice applying it- it would just be logical to you because of your understanding of the concept.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
Smart trying or not trying?

It is apparent that those who don't get a 90+ but are 'smart', just didn't try all year and the previous years. However, obviously they are not very wise, which is a limit to how smart they really are.

I believe those who claim to not have studied all year at least have studied the material whilst in earlier years ... year 9, 10 and/or 11? ... so the things they went through in class are pretty much revision.
Or else they are lying that they are not studying at home, but actually are studying their asses off, just to gain their respect as someone who is smart.

Naturally smart aren't usually the ones who do well, true. They won't beat you in chess if they don't even know the basic tactics when you have been playing over 10 years.

There really is no excuse to how bad you do in school, if you are determined you would get your marks...simple...and yes, stupid...but its justice.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
Jachie said:
yeah my english teacher tells me this every lesson. apparently when it comes to the hsc it's the hard workers who end up ripping it, not necessarily the naturally intelligent students. sucks for me because i'm pretty bright i guess, i'm just lazy as fuck and don't do anything.

tis true, tis true.

and i'm the same. like i just go to class, [sometimes] listen, study just before the exam and still do better than some people who studied to the shithouse. but my marks aren't that great. they're not bad either i suppose.

i won't do well in the hsc unless i properly study. and i'm well aware of that.

so it is without a doubt a combination of a natural 'flair' for learning/remembering and proper, efficient study that will aid you in doing well in the hsc.

and i agree with sonyleispicseisxeie-woman. the whole sponge concept it rather true. idk about the rest stopped reading.

bawd

HSC
u-borat said:
a photographic memory would cut the time required to memorise an essay from 4ish hours to less than one.
i want one. :(
I believe it is possible to train yourself to have one.

Don't look at me though, I can barely remember a paragraph of writing, unless forced to.

HSC
Shadose said:
Smart trying or not trying?

It is apparent that those who don't get a 90+ but are 'smart', just didn't try all year and the previous years. However, obviously they are not very wise, which is a limit to how smart they really are.
"The more you know, the less you need to show.
-- Unknown."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)