"the naturally smart kids aren't usually the ones who do well in the HSC" (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
I think the only way to test this is if the BOS gets a sample of students doing the HSC and make them do an IQ test.
Yep.

That seems like a right way to go despite being highly unrealistic.

Monstar

HSC
I've had friends who did no work the whole year and come out with 95 uais.
Also got a friend who had got blazed up everyweek and still passed the first year of med.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
yeah my english teacher tells me this every lesson. apparently when it comes to the hsc it's the hard workers who end up ripping it, not necessarily the naturally intelligent students. sucks for me because i'm pretty bright i guess, i'm just lazy as fuck and don't do anything.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
I'm naturally bright, but my brains not a sponge. To be the best, I have to do everything about 10 times until it becomes instinct. It works too.

You need a balance of both natural smarts and the drive to work hard. Just like in most things in life.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
I'm naturally bright, but my brains not a sponge. To be the best, I have to do everything about 10 times until it becomes instinct. It works too.

You need a balance of both natural smarts and the drive to work hard. Just like in most things in life.
Contradiction?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
lyounamu said:
Contradiction?
Allow me to elaborate.
I cannot soak in information and retain it upon hearing it once.
I must repeat things to make it stick.

That is, while I understand and grasp knowledge quickly and easilly, I have to make sure it sticks through repetition.

Perhaps sponge wasnt the best word?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Allow me to elaborate.
I cannot soak in information and retain it upon hearing it once.
I must repeat things to make it stick.

That is, while I understand and grasp knowledge quickly and easilly, I have to make sure it sticks through repetition.

Perhaps sponge wasnt the best word?
Another contradiction?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
Yep. If you're 'naturally bright', why is it necessary to go through something 10 times? Wouldn't it just click?
I am smart in that I understand and grasp concepts and knowledge alot quicker than most, and am able to write fluently and with passion and flair in an articulate manner. So yes, it 'just clicks'.

I do, however, have to make sure it all sticks once it has clicked. I can't just do something once and be perfect. I work my ass off to be perfect, or as close as possible.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
lyounamu said:
Another contradiction?
*Shrugs*
Nit pick all you want. I'm smart, but its got to be done until I'm satisfied I can do it perfectly. Doing it once won't do it for me.

Hard work and natural flair for learning.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
scaredytiger said:
being able to understand everything and being able to remember it are two separate skills.
My point exactly.
Its all well and good to understand everything but you've got to put in the work to be able to replicate knowledge well.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
i think that naturally talented people are able to do just as well in the hsc, but usually don't put in as much effort, simply because they don't need to/don't see the need.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
scaredytiger said:

for someone fluent in writing, youre very good at not getting your point across effectively.
I lolled.
I'm tired and sick, and the internet is the last of my worries when it comes to being understood. I really could care less, I'm just putting out my two cents and managing my change in the meantime between going to bed.

omniscience

HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
*Shrugs*
Nit pick all you want. I'm smart, but its got to be done until I'm satisfied I can do it perfectly. Doing it once won't do it for me.

Hard work and natural flair for learning.
Now arrogance?

There is a great co-relationship between the ability to memorise and the ability to understand. If you "understand" something, there is not much need to go into memorising the material. You obviously don't understand the materials to the full extent.

And people of great natural intelligence do not need to advertise how gifted their genes are.

-tal-

HSC
scaredytiger said:

for someone fluent in writing, youre very good at not getting your point across effectively.
Maybe it's a perception problem?

I think what she's defining as "naturally smart" is the ability to quickly understand and apply concepts. But she personally, needs to repeat something to remember it. Applying and remembering are 2 separate things (as someone said)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
I lolled.
I'm tired and sick, and the internet is the last of my worries when it comes to being understood. I really could care less, I'm just putting out my two cents and managing my change in the meantime between going to bed.
Excuses. :rofl:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
omniscience said:
Now arrogance?

There is a great co-relationship between the ability to memorise and the ability to understand. If you "understand" something, there is not much need to go into memorising the material. You obviously don't understand the materials to the full extent.

And people of great natural intelligence do not need to advertise how gifted their genes are.
Always arrogance darling!

Its not so much memorisation as fine tuning. You can't write an A band essay right away, and its only with continual fine tuning and application of the concept you understand that you can.

I didn't mean to sound as though I spend all night re writing definitions of a journey or something daft. I don't. I just continually need to reinforce the concepts I grasp through practical application. Its pretty simple. Natural ability + hard work = good results.

HSC
-tal- said:
Maybe it's a perception problem?

I think what she's defining as "naturally smart" is the ability to quickly understand and apply concepts. But she personally, needs to repeat something to remember it. Applying and remembering are 2 separate things (as someone said)
um. read the thread, love. she justified herself by quoting me in the end.

i understood.

her justifications between my post and the one quoting my post were what i was commenting on. they were flawed in their expression.

it was more a gentle teasing then anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)