• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The new English 2008 syllabus (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Hey. For us HSC 09'ers, there will be a new syllabus in place for english.

For the new english syllabus:

1. What is the title of the new topic? Before, it was imaginative journeys, but what is it now? I heard it was going to be either Power or Belonging.
2. What type of preliminary texts/books will we be reading for the new english syllabus in the future?
3. What would be appropriate to work upon in the new syllabus? Or what will we be learning in our preliminary years?

If anyone could post a direct link to each question, that would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching for the texts we will be reading in our future preliminary year on the boardofstudies website in the NSW HSC Syllabus link but I couldn't find anything.

Tyvm for reading :wave: .

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
It's belonging

Last edited:

aikin

HSC
Belonging- which, in an argument with the English staff at my school, I told them was stupid. The link in the previous post pretty much details everything, but be assured that it's a genuinely more thought out module than what we're left with.
On the flip-side, should you really be thinking about this a year out?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
aikin said:
Belonging- which, in an argument with the English staff at my school, I told them was stupid. The link in the previous post pretty much details everything, but be assured that it's a genuinely more thought out module than what we're left with.
On the flip-side, should you really be thinking about this a year out?
Nah not really, but my lowest mark was for english in the SC, and I was really disappointed and am willing to improve, especially on my reading and writing skills, even though the School Certificate means nothing. I just want to improve and be ahead. But thanks for answering aikin.

F-O-B

HSC
my older friends always cringe whenever i mention the word "journey"...i was actually looking forward to it!

teachers wont have experience teaching this new stuff right? its gonna suck.

ah well, thanks for the link.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
F-O-B said:
my older friends always cringe whenever i mention the word "journey"...i was actually looking forward to it!
Journeys suck dick.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
the engish syllabus is pretty much the boring-est thing ever.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
for as much as journeys was shit, it wasnt that difficult. belonging sounds a bit harder

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i actually think belonging sounds better. sure as hell is for technique wise.

maybe its jsut me, but i cant fucking find ANY techniques for my english texts that relate to "The Journey" but it always relates to what happens ON "The Journey"

Such a broad and ambiguous topic.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
F-O-B said:

teachers wont have experience teaching this new stuff right? its gonna suck.

ah well, thanks for the link.

The fact that teachers will be teaching it for the first time has advantages as well - it means that they will be getting fresh material and be excited about teaching something new. They will be being challenged to do a good job.

If you teach the same thing all the time then it becomes extremely boring and teachers can become stale in their presentation.

As a teacher I always enjoy teaching a new syllabus as it means I have to reconsider my lessons to teach the new stuff.

Last edited:

F-O-B

HSC
Yeah I suppose that is true.
Also, everyone's going to be equal, in the sense that that no one will have past notes from older friends/siblings..

jellybelly59

HSC
F-O-B said:
Yeah I suppose that is true.
Also, everyone's going to be equal, in the sense that that no one will have past notes from older friends/siblings..
Can't u get notes on journeys anywhere...? and don't siblings or older friends learn pretty much the same thing cause its the same syllabus.... Don't suppose there are any cheat notes in dere to absolutely killing the English AoS :D not responding in a malicious manner *at least i hope im not :D*

Hey but im wondering won't it suck for us because the teachers marking the answers for the AoS section of the external assessments won't know what lvl that answer is ... is it like a really high marking answer or is it a semi-high marking answer... i know they have a marking criteria and all but there are heaps of hsc markers and when its down to marking dey only have the marking criteria to refer to... on the other hand if we were doing journeys im pretty sure most of the other markers would have looked at prior journey AoS external assessment exam sections and they can compare it to the ones their currently marking... but of course i could be wrong i'm not dat knowledgeable when it comes to the marking of HSC stuff :D

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
jellybelly59 said:
Can't u get notes on journeys anywhere...? and don't siblings or older friends learn pretty much the same thing cause its the same syllabus.... Don't suppose there are any cheat notes in dere to absolutely killing the English AoS :D not responding in a malicious manner *at least i hope im not :D*

Hey but im wondering won't it suck for us because the teachers marking the answers for the AoS section of the external assessments won't know what lvl that answer is ... is it like a really high marking answer or is it a semi-high marking answer... i know they have a marking criteria and all but there are heaps of hsc markers and when its down to marking dey only have the marking criteria to refer to... on the other hand if we were doing journeys im pretty sure most of the other markers would have looked at prior journey AoS external assessment exam sections and they can compare it to the ones their currently marking... but of course i could be wrong i'm not dat knowledgeable when it comes to the marking of HSC stuff :D

Before the markers actually start marking they spend 4 - 8 hours doing what is called 'briefing'.

This process starts shortly after students have completed the exam when the Supervisor of Marking and the Senior Markers report for marking. At that time they go through the essays written in response to the questions given that year and locate a range of responses to the question. When it is a new topic they will use quite a few more than in years when it is a previously examined topic.

The SMs will allocate a mark based on the marking criteria and will discuss why they believe that it is worth. They will locate a range of marks from 1 - 25 and multiple responses in each band.

When the markers arrive they will then spend time talking about the question and the marking criteria before they mark the scripts that the SMs have chosen. These scripts are photocopies with no centre numbers or student numbers and all markers mark the same ones at this point. After marking about 10 they will discuss the marks given and argue about why they fitted into the band they gave them. When they have done this with about 10 they will redo this exercise for two or three nights. So by the time they actually start marking they will have seen about 60 or so scripts that they have no only read and marked but discussed and argued over.

Please trust the system and the professionalism of the teachers/markers to recognise the levels of the scripts and don't go making stress for yourselves over a new topic. You will have enough stress as it is without creating more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)