The new generation - HSC 2004 (1 Viewer)

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
Anybody who is planning on doing well in the 2004 HSC can you please give me a bit of strategy? BTW, who did any accelerated subjects this year? what subs and what marks? the accelerated maths at our school like the whole class got hsc mark of 90+. we had 3 98's and many 97/96. i did accelerated engineering and got 93 - takes some weight off the shoulders and more frees for me! :D

AGB

HSC
hey skyprn,

i accelerated two subjects this year.....economics (92, which i was slightly disappointed with...) and 93 for business studies

can someone like pigs (or someone else with an exceedingly high uai) give us some advice on wot they did to do so well???

Ziff

HSC
N/A
How did you get to accelerate in those subjects? My school only does it in Maths, Science and this year English.

I reckon I should have been accelerated in Geog, Legal and History, I am the master :p

AGB

HSC
my school accelerates history, just starting maths, geography, business studies, engineering, biology and maybe a couple of others...... i was the only one who did economics

AGB

HSC
r u guys doing distinction courses??

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by cro_angel
wat do u mean by accelerate? i dont think my school does that
as in like, do both yr11 and 12 of that subject in the one year... my friend did yr10 and 11 italian in yr10, and then yr12 italian in year11, so she only had to do eight units in yr12. [don' tthink i explained it very well LOL]

AGB

HSC
or you can just start the course a year early i.e. do the prelim year in year 10

bong

HSC
Originally posted by AGB
hey skyprn,

i accelerated two subjects this year.....economics (92, which i was slightly disappointed with...) and 93 for business studies

can someone like pigs (or someone else with an exceedingly high uai) give us some advice on wot they did to do so well???
having been in most of his classes, i can tell u that he did alot of sleeping, or as he likes to call it - "listening with his eyes closed" :rofl:

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by AGB
hey skyprn,

damn, why couldn't i accelerate?

Originally posted by bong
having been in most of his classes, i can tell u that he did alot of sleeping, or as he likes to call it - "listening with his eyes closed" :rofl:
yeah that's true, and also true for physics and english, and morning class maths :D:p

Originally posted by AGB

um well, since u accelerated i dun think u need any advice, cos ur obviously smart. but i think u just have to work out a study routine and exam technique that works best for you and that ur comfortable with. 6 years of high school is there for u to experiment with, cos u dun wanna be doing that for hsc exams (externals i mean). for me, i prefer to bludge during the year, then hardcore cram before exams (cos i have a good memory), although being up to date with stuff and ensuring i understood everything beforehand helped :)

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
i prefer to bludge during the year, then hardcore cram before exams (cos i have a good memory), although being up to date with stuff and ensuring i understood everything beforehand helped :)
thats right
the method of champions

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
yah i really dunno whats best - for accelerated engineering i just made sure i did all the assesments well, then just crammed the theory before half yearly and externals. Perhaps this year i'll try to go full study all year round. This was this guy who just did hsc 2004 at my schol - he did 300 maths questions every night! He can't speak english, so got 74, but his UAI was still 99.2...pretty nice. yeah pigs youve probably already posted this but can u tell me your subject marks and maybe internal ranking/average assesment marks? PS what school AGB that does so many accelerants

AGB

HSC
hey skyprn,

im bored....so decided to dig up pigs marks for u :)

Originally posted by pigs_can_fly

ecos 97 96 =97
eng 94 98 =96
maths1 94 97 =96
maths2 97 95 =96
phys 95 93 =94
lat cont 96 97 =97
lat ext 48 48 =48

Internals:

school: SBHS

Trial Results:

course raw percentage rank

english adv 98% 1/187
maths ext 1 94% 4/159 (scaled mark = 96)
maths ext 2 80% 13/108 (scaled mark = 89)
economics 100% 1/88
latin cont 94% 2/8
latin ext 90% 2/6
physics 84% 23/99

Overall Results:

course raw percentage rank

english adv 94% 1/187
maths ext 1 94% 4/159
maths ext 2 79% 12/108
economics 95% 3/88
latin cont 95% 2/8
latin ext 91% 2/6
physics 89% 14/99

he posted them in a couple of other threads.......

i go to a private school on the north shore..........there will be probably about 80 people that do an hsc subject in 2004 a year early....

Last edited:

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
HOLY CRAP! thats amazing...i have no hope of getting 100 anymore :( and he only got 99.95 is that true? far out im gonna have to try so much harder to get more marks than that. and sbhs probably scales higher than my school. 1st in english? impressive! whats your background? i thought you were a maths person but then 1st in english and latin ext...nice

well i hope i can do that well this year. PS pigs, what tutoring did u use (if any)

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by skypryn
HOLY CRAP! thats amazing...i have no hope of getting 100 anymore :( and he only got 99.95 is that true? far out im gonna have to try so much harder to get more marks than that. and sbhs probably scales higher than my school. 1st in english? impressive! whats your background? i thought you were a maths person but then 1st in english and latin ext...nice

well i hope i can do that well this year. PS pigs, what tutoring did u use (if any)
It can be done at our school...

Like top mark at Manly was 99.90 which is pretty darn close...

Just cane up English, Extension subjects and that should bring you into the 99's

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Originally posted by skypryn
Anybody who is planning on doing well in the 2004 HSC can you please give me a bit of strategy?

Here this is what I *tried* to follow throughout 2003. Obtained from the Monash Uni website. I've always lacked in organisational skills/efficient study habits

Quote:
Stay motivated
Be aware of your goals and be honest with yourself. If you are studying a course without any real enthusiasm, you will need to work even harder to be successful. Remind yourself why you chose to embark on this course in the first place. It is essential that you resolve these matters before you can do justice to yourself and the course. Lack of motivation should be treated seriously.

A place apart
Set apart a place for study. This should be private, free from noise and other distractions, and it should be comfortable, but not conducive to sleep.

Time apart
Set apart some time for study. Neglecting to work consistently throughout the year is a reliable method for achieving poor results. It has been tried and tested by many, with the same results poor marks!

The amount of time you need to spend on study will vary from person to person. An average full-time student aiming for a pass degree should work a forty hour week, which includes contact hours and private study.

Remember, however, that study is only one part of your life, and it is important to plan for other activities, such as exercise and time with family and friends, to ensure a balanced lifestyle.

Devise a study schedule
One of the most important factors in developing effective study techniques is the existence of a study schedule. Your study schedule should be tailored to your lifestyle, and include personal, work and family commitments.

A comprehensive study plan includes planning for events across the semester, as well as those that occur on a weekly and daily basis. Once you have received outlines for each subject you should plot out major events for the semester. This includes such things as weddings, birthdays, holidays etc., as well as dates for assessment requirements for each subject such as assignments, presentations and examinations.

Once you have devised your study program for the semester, you can set about preparing a weekly study schedule. Draw up a timetable to assist you in planning your personal study time around scheduled class time and other activities. With each study session, make sure you are organised before you begin. Decide what you are going to study and for how long. In your plan, include some rest periods of approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Work energetically, and if helpful, start off with something you find interesting. Do not avoid the more difficult work, and sometimes expect to struggle to understand some of the work. Most things worth having require effort!

Keep up-to-date
Keep up-to-date with your study. Review your notes following each class as this will assist you in retaining information. Revise material regularly throughout the semester as new topics often require an understanding of earlier work. For this reason it is also important that you seek assistance if you are having difficulties in understanding any subject matter.

Get the most out of each study session
Do not confuse being "busy" with studying. It is simple to occupy a few hours by rewriting notes, browsing through textbooks, rearranging books and thinking of reasons for studying "later" when the mood is "right". Study is a disciplined activity which is hard work, but it can be enjoyable.

It is important to evaluate regularly whether your study methods are effective. At the end of each class/tutorial try to assess realistically how well you have learnt and understood the work, and plan follow-up sessions accordingly. Identify problem areas early to allow opportunity to discuss concerns with your Subject or Course Coordinator.

Don't be afraid to seek assistance
Many factors impact on how well we cope with the demands of tertiary study. Often a little support and guidance can go a long way in helping you to get on the right track. If you find that you are struggling with the course content, or need assistance in developing effective study habits, don't be afraid to seek help...........

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
omg opal, 94 for phys (thought u got 96+)....

i feel ur pain :(

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
yeahi know beaky (flynn?) but i dunno what phil got for subject marks? could u tell me? also benno, 99.95 isnt bad, im just outlining how hard it will be for me to get a high mark if ive only got 10 units and only got 93 in a reasonably low scaling subject. also regarding that long shpiel bout study schedule...do u guys listen to music while u study..i do and i dont think it makes a difference..just better use of ur time cuz ur multitasking? but i only do when doing maths/problems. any reading i bail on radio due to the conflicting lyrics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)