The Official 2006 AFL Thread (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I feel it wouldve been a much closer game if Richmond had a full strength defensive line...but well done swans! started better than 2005, but things have changed I guess (collingwood mainly, and the bulldogs)

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
Surprise, surprise. Everyone jumping back on the swans bandwagon. No-one posted anything here since their recent ordinary form. Good win though - despite richmonds players out.
Meanwhile, stay tuned for big news from another club. Watch this space.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Perhaps.

Possibly something to do with Akermanis at Brisbane too..

Or Grant Thomas' crap start to 2006.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Hello?!

A few things:

The AFL is a joke! Can you believe they are fining Essendon $20,000 for wearing yellow armbands for Adam Ramanauskus?! Because supposedly they are only allowed to wear black. And it was Daffodil Day. And they fined Dean Brogan $5,000 for punching that random dude in the face (Tevita Latu got sacked by the NRL for the same incident). Demetriou and the rest of the people running the AFL are fucktards.

Looking forward to the big match on the weekend!

Hopefully the break will refresh us, we were very flat against the Kangas despite winning, and were pretty terrible against the Saints. Because my exams will be over, I might get out to Telstra to watch it .. it should be a cracker.

Koschitzke .. collapsing on Sportsworld. Club says it was food-related .. suspicion that it was from his fractured skull. Either way, it looked baaaaaad.

Weagles have looked pretty poor the last month. They are just lucky to have produced two of the biggest ever comebacks in consecutive weeks to beat the Cats and the Blues .. before getting thumped by the Power on the weekend.

C'ARN SWANNIES!

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
The administration of some sports amazes me sometimes, however, although many people think Demetriou and Co are idiots, they still draw praise from other codes. I remember on the Sunday Roast not long ago, both Voss and Gould commented on how well the AFL handles controversy in their game.

I really want to get to Sydney for the game, (not only cos I support Sydney but for my hatred of Collingwood:D) but I have to play footy aaagh, i guess tv will have to do.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
One thing that worries me is Adelaide, they look devastating at the moment, and we play them in a couple of weeks (at the SCG where we have been pretty bad this year)

Pies for once have looked pretty beatable (from the Melbourne game), so we have a good chance

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
The AFL is a joke! Can you believe they are fining Essendon $20,000 for wearing yellow armbands for Adam Ramanauskus?! Because supposedly they are only allowed to wear black. And it was Daffodil Day.
Yep, that was a pretty dumb move by the AFL authorities. I think they are being over-eager to put clubs in their place. Hopefully they come to their senses and rescind the fine.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Minai said:
One thing that worries me is Adelaide, they look devastating at the moment, and we play them in a couple of weeks (at the SCG where we have been pretty bad this year)
Indeed. Adelaide had that shocker against Richmond the week after we beat them by 130-odd points. From memory, the Tigers created a world record number of marks in an AFL game.

After that, though, they have been superb. Smashing anyone and everyone that comes across their path.

Will be incredibly tough, especially considering Swans have such a shit record against Adelaide under Roos. I think it's 1 win, 5 losses. Something like that. Funnily enough, the only two teams Roos-coached Sydney has not beaten more than 50% of the time are Adelaide and Port Adelaide .. weird.

And Minai, on the topic of Collingwood .. sure, they looked very average against the Dees. But we've hardly set the world on fire against the Roos or Saints :p

It will be a very even contest, just like most Swans vs Pies games are these days. In last year's corresponding game, I think we only won by one point? Or two?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it will be close, I guess we had a shocker against the Kangaroos, and against the Saints...well it was torrential rain, and they flooded Hall out of the game.

We'll see, Swans are at full fitness whereas Pies have a few crucial injuries. I'm afraid of Leon Davis though :/

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
Well I thought I should bump this thread, good but tedious win over Richmond on Saturday, with game at Port Adelaide this Saturday very important.

Looking to big things from Heath Grundy after his good performance on the weekend

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
He was quiet...I guess Port paid a bit of attention to him whereas Richmond didn't really.

Interesting thing about next weekend...Swans are 6th, playing Essendon. Collingwood (5th) against Adelaide, and St Kilda (4th) against West Coast. If Sydney win (comfortably), and both the Pies and Saints lose, Swans could well be 4th on percentage...

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
The Essendon game maybe a harder game for Sydney then we think, coming off a win against Brisbane, and with James Hird in fine form, the weekend's match could prove to be difficult.

HSC
after the last game against melbourne demons, which of the swans fans here think that sydney is back on track to win their 2nd premiership in a row?

especially with nick davis coming back. i think grundy will stay but phillips will be shown the door for davis to get back in.

goods and bazza in good form. things look bright!

cheer cheer the red and the white!!

sideshowtim

HSC
I reckon we can do it. Even without Davis we have the depth to put really comprehensive wins on the board and we are strong all over the field. Goodes is in the form of his life at the moment, we are so lucky to have him, and Buchanan, O'Keefe and Hall are all playing brilliantly too. I think this could be our year again! We're hitting form at the right time. Up the Swannies!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
It's as if other things are falling into our favour as well (such as injuries to the big clubs, and them losing to lowly teams). If we can capitalise, and win our last three games, then we could well be on the way. If the current ladder remains the same at the end of Rd22, could be a sense of deja vu, with a trip to Perth to play West Coast in the qualifying final

wce06

HSC
Minai said:
Not so devastating since we dealt with them :)
3 losses out of 4? 2006 GF: WCE v Melbourne. i can't see freo getting there, and the rest well yeah maybe the swans will do it again, maybe adelaide can, but i don't think so. I think the bulldogs might get as far as prelim final though, not many teams in the 8 can beat them. i'm hoping for a freo v bulldogs elimination final, it would make our path to the flag that much easier with one of them out.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
wce06 said:
Not so devastating since we dealt with them :)
3 losses out of 4? 2006 GF: WCE v Melbourne. i can't see freo getting there, and the rest well yeah maybe the swans will do it again, maybe adelaide can, but i don't think so. I think the bulldogs might get as far as prelim final though, not many teams in the 8 can beat them. i'm hoping for a freo v bulldogs elimination final, it would make our path to the flag that much easier with one of them out.
Mmm, interesting, given Freo absolutely smashed you guys last week.

Eagles, at full strength, are the most talented side in the comp, but I think the one side you fear more than any other is Sydney, am I right? The last 3 games have all been very close, and factors such as luck (Stenglein's last minute goal this year, Leo Barry's mark in the GF, Goodes' legging in the Qualifying final last year) have played a huge part in a result either way.

I'll be cheering for Port to beat Freo this week, and with a Swans win, we get another crack at you guys at Subi :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)